We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Honeymoon dinner

Littleton, Colorado
12 posts
Save Topic
Romantic Honeymoon dinner

We will be in Kauai at the beginning of October for our Honeymoon. Where is the best place to have a romantic dinner. For the food and the money.

California
Level Contributor
37,456 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

Where are you staying?

If in Poipu look into Beach House or Merriman's, or I loved Josselin's Tapas. That place got an A+ from me. Not really romantic but very nice. I haven't been to Red Salt at Koa Kea but many have liked it.

North Shore I would look at Kauai Grill at St Regis. Bring lots of money but it is romantic, has beautiful views and the food was excellent.

Littleton, Colorado
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

We are staying at the Outrigger Kiahuna. We have heard about Tidepools and the Beach House. Are those still on the list? We are hoping for one night of something very romantic.

California
Level Contributor
37,456 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

Both are excellent choices but one night do go to Josselin's Tapas Bar.

Beach has a great sunset view. I haven't eaten at Tidepools in 10 years but it gets high marks for romance.

Littleton, Colorado
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

How early should reservations be made?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

They are and verty nice. Tidepools is a beautiful setting. HOWEVER, you are also right next to the Koa Kea and Red Salt. Red Salt, in decor, is a lot like Kauai Grill. Excellent food and service. Beautiful view. Get a window seat.

For the romantic atmosphere I would still choose one of the waterfall tables at Tidepools; Beach House is soooo busy and Red Salt, a little on the cold side (decor). If you want to really "feel" like you're in the tropics, Tidepools would win for me. BUT, now if you could get the makai side of Merrimans, that would be a stunning sunset view, few people - so romantic - and excellent food. Definitely.

I'm taking it for granted that you will try Plantation Gardens at Kiahuna while you are there, as well. Beautiful garden setting, tables along the edge of the lanai. Favorite spot.

You know, you can have a beautiful time at any of these places. It depends entirely on your personal preferences. We are all giving ours, but they may be a bad match for you. Look at a few reviews and menus and choose. They are all expensive; so set aside enough money that you don't think about it when the menus come. And enjoy!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

If "romantic" is the biggest deal, then by all means go to Tidepools -- ask for a peninsula table with a view of the waterfalls. The food is good, expensive, but not very innovative in my view.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,603 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

We always choose Tidepools for our Anniversary dinner when at the Hyatt. They go out of their way to make it nice for you when you make reservations and tell them it's a special occasion.

Like Beach House, Plantation Gardens, Roys, etc. but for Romance, and tropical gardens,Tidepools is it. You can also feed the Koi fish that swim up to the windows.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

I would consider The Beach House for a romantic dinner but AFTER sunset. Avoid the zoo at sunset and have a quiet dinner there after the first seating has left. It really is a lovely location and the food and service have improved quite a bit over the last couple of years (Voted #1 Restaurant on Kauai in 2010).

You will have to try to Josselin's and Plantation Gardens as well, Excellent restaurants in Poipu! We already have our reservations for August!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,362 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

Tidepools is romantic. but Red Salt is a great, innovative place that a young couple might like, BUT ultimately I think I agree with Marti that a later seating at the Beach House could be great. It is such a nice setting and a seating on the rail, with the trades blowing is just amazing.

For breakfast look at Joe's on the Green (great for lunch too) and for good, cheap and local look at Koloa Fishmarket and Sueoka's Market plate lunches.

California
Level Contributor
37,456 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic Honeymoon dinner

Mezzsop:

You stated that Red Salt is a lot like Kauai in decor and then you say Red Salt is "a little on the cold side". Are you saying you felt the decor of KG was cold? I did not feel that way at all. I felt it very warm and gorgeous. Is it Hawaiiana? No! Are there koi fish swimming around? No! I loved the lighting and seating and of course the view is WOW! I have only seen pictures of Red Salt so can't compare, but I think KG has a beautiful interior and does not feel "cold" at all.