We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

Spokane
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

So - we have found 3 places to stay for our May trip to Kauai.

What I think I "know"-

- Swimming beaches only at Hanalei Bay and Kiahuna Plantation.

- Newer resort at WBR. Hanalei Bay and Kiahuna Plantation are older but may have better beach access.

- I have searched here and WBR and HBR restaurants are closed from what I can tell. Not sure that is a deal breaker - but I wonder if the resort is struggling and may go downhill a bit?

- Hanalei Bay - we can get a "ride to the beach for $3.00. But cannot park near our condo. OK pool.

- Kiahuna Plantation - easy walk to beach but pool is across the street.

- Waipouli Beach Resort - really good pool but on a busy street?

As you see we have chosen a property on the North, South, and East side. Each gives us great swimming oportunities either by pool or beach. All are within the budget. We can cook in or eat out at all 3.

So - here is where we need help. Which would you recommend - based on the property and what is around it? Shopping, activities and the general condition of the property?

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,654 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

If you are visiting Kauai in summer: Hanalei Bay Resort!!! In winter: Poipu, although not necessarily Kiahuna. If Kiahuna, look for the location of the unit on the property, and look for something refurbished. (This is a very old property.) If you want *new*, with fancy pool but no beach, it's Waipouli! (There you want something that doesn't back to the road.)

Now you're all set, right? LOL

Oh, in Poipu, maybe look at Poipu Kapili for new-er (and larger) units.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

All your choices have their advantages. It just depends which things are most important to you. HBR is a great location if you get a unit with a good view -- there are many. If you want the lush north shore, then this is a good option. Units there with a Bali Hai view are wonderful.

If you really want an upscale condo, then Waipouli is good. Nice pool and if you get oceanview, you won't notice the highway behind it. Just don't get a unit facing Kuhio Highway. If the pool is more important than the beach, then this is your place. If you plan on lots of island sightseeing, you are centrally located here.

Kiahuna is on one of the best beaches for swimming and it is also very beautiful. The resort is large and has been around awhile, but the grounds are very nice and as chisue said, get a renovated unit. But to me, they might as well not have a pool.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

You've pretty much nailed each location.

HBR - beautiful views, weather "should" cooperate in May. While there is a smallish beach in front of the St. Regis, just downhill from HBR, it isn't a true swimming/ boogie boarding beach as the Kiahuna beach is. Best beach on the island (IMO) is a short 10 minute drive away - Hanalei Bay.

Kiahuna - Yes, older, but I believe built in the same era as HBR. As with HBR, units can really vary. As with HBR, you can find some beautifully updated and maintained units or you can end up with a non-updated unit. I've seen most of the units at Kiahuna and most owners by far have done a decent job with maintaining and updating. Pool across the street, yes, but it is quiet and never crowded at all. Kiahuna is all about the beach. The only south shore condo property where the property butts right up a good swimming beach. Lovely low-rise plantation style buildings with outside (non-hallway ) entrances providing good ventilation. As HBR, gorgeous grounds. As with HBR, rent from an entity where you can pick the unit you want. Two bedroom units are "townhouse style" and on 2 levels, with no other units above you.

Westin I'm not all that familiar with.

Spokane
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

I would also be really interested in any unit numbers that you have stayed at and liked or did not like. I am reading reviews - but your personal input on particular units would be priceless!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

I'm sure you realize that there are no "guarantees" with any of the beaches!

My sister and I got caught in a riptide on an otherwise calm day at Hanalei Bay. That was in May a few years ago. At the time we were staying in a house in Hanalei with no pool. Now I stick to condos with pools, so I have a back-up if ocean conditions are not good. Despite this experience, I much prefer Princeville/North Shore to Poipu. Anini Beach is my favorite. Due to an off-shore reef, it is calm MOST of the time. We have stayed in Poipu in March, April, November, and July. March was the only time we went the whole week with no red flags on the beach.

Spokane
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

I also like the idea of the great pool for a backup plan!

Vacations = lots of swimming to me!

California
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

We love Kiahuna Plantation--have stayed there many times and rent through the owner. We have stayed in #134 and #168 and have been happy with both. 168 has recently been updated--new bathroom, a washer and dryer, and new tile floors. You are less than a 2min. walk to the beach from either of these units. I'd also like to stay in #191 which is an oceanfront. It's more expensive but ....it would be nice. Check out www.kiahunacondos.com and

www.condokauai.net

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,685 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

I love Hanalei, but I am not a fan of Princeville. There is nothing to do there but golf in my estimation. We've stayed at private homes in Hanalei and the St Regis (Princeville Resort). While the beaches at Hanalei might be nicer in May, there is no guarantee the Princeville area will be.

I don't like the location of the Waipouli, so I would look at Poipu and Poipu Kapili or Kiahuna or maybe the Marriott in Lihue.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

We walked all over Kiahuna Plantation condos today and the grounds are gorgeous. Very well maintained and the beach is fabulous. I personally like #186. Very close to the beach (this is a wonderful beach), well maintained, one-bedroom with a washer/dryer in the unit. It has a great ocean view. I prefer to be closed to the beach.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/KH186.html

BTW, you can hear the traffic noise on Poipu Road from the back buildings. It seemed pretty loud today as we walked around. I agree about the pool! Older son wants to be on the beach and not that interested in the pool. So this place will be something for me to consider for our next trip.

California
Level Contributor
36,490 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort-Hanalei Bay-Kiahuna Plantation??

There is NO CHARGE to go to the beach from HBR. There is a $3 rental for beach chairs if you need to rent them, but most owners have chairs for their guests to use. Parking, tennis and phones are within the resort charge.

WBR's small restaurant, Oasis is open and the bar and restaurant at HBR is not, but word is its in escrow (shhhh, you didn't hear it from me) so fingers and toes crossed it will reopen by next year sometime.

HBR units are much larger than Kiahuna Plantation, but to me they are very similar in old Hawaii style and both are very good choices. I am not a WBR fan due to the location. I like to visit Kapaa but not stay there.

Do not listen to Scottca075!!!! There is tons to do in Princeville and the surrounding area. Yes, there is golf, but at HBR they have 8 tennis courts, bike rentals, lovely walking paths throughout Princeville and many activities are just a few minutes away. Horse back riding, zipline, kayaking etc. I go every May. I have NEVER come into bad weather. It could be sunny in Princeville and drizzly in Hanalei. Last May I left sunny Princeville to visit friends in Poipu and it was raining everywhere but the North Shore. May is super on the island!!!