We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to Kauai

Westminster, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
flights to Kauai

We are coming to Kauai August 13th to the 25th (2006). Where should I look for the best price on flights?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: flights to Kauai

A comment on trading in miles and up-grades to Hawaii.......

Think twice... save your miles for international travel.

As to class of service... the best deal is economy plus on United.... more leg room than first class.. Speaking of First class...years ago all the lines put their Hawaiian flights to the top with ice sculptures. fantastic meals and service and huge seats. Today it is a modest meal on china with old business class seats... not the plush seats.

The real first class still exists for international flights only in the 777 and 747-400 's.... which feature seats that make into a bed. and plush lounges at each end of your trip. dont waste 80,000 for a Hawaii first seat..... you could have bought for $1800.00 .

When for the same miles you could have gotten a first or Business class international seat worth $4500.00

I recently used 120,000 miles on united and took a 3 leg flight Hawaii to LA to Sydney, all first class. and saved a $14,600.

Had I used the same miles for domestic coack I would have been able to do 3 rts that would have saved me 600 to 800 each

or a total of $1800 to $2400 tops. so the same miles bought over $12,200 more in value.

It is important you spend carefully

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: flights to Kauai

American Airlines had a pretty good deal for me to trade in my miles (considering that I didn't even have enough to purchase a full ticket). However, the next day, the price went down to the same price that it would have cost if I had traded in my miles, so I purchased it directly and saved my miles for future travel.

Alan, since you are from California, you should be able to find even better deals. Try Pleasant Holidays, but compare multiple sites. You might want to even check Sidestep Fare Alert or Expedia/Travelocity as well as the airlines themselves.

Granger, Indiana
Level Contributor
141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: flights to Kauai

I just traded 70,000 miles for 2 economy plus seats on united from O'hare to LIH for next week. Couldn't believe they were available for last minute travel. I would normally have used miles for my wife and paid (so I can earn) for my ticket, but for $843.00 it wasn't worth it.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: flights to Kauai

With most of the airlines the day of the week for your departure and return can make a real difference. If your dates are flexible at all, you might try different combos. For us out of Omaha leaving Tuesday 4/25/06 instead of Monday on America West was almost hundred dollars apiece less. I also agree from what I've found booking separate flight from Hnl to Lih to be cheaper. Another budget saver is Island Air, while they fly turbo props instead of jets they are also about half price of the other two.

NE PA
Level Contributor
950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: flights to Kauai

hulajake...Agree that departure/return days of the week can make a big difference. I like to use the Travelocity fare search and use the +-3days option. This gives you a grid of all the different fares for 3 days before and after the dates you search for. This makes it very easy to quickly find your lowest cost option. Traveling mid-week normally are your lowest fares but that is not always the case.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: flights to Kauai

go to travelzoo.com

they simutaniously search all online travel sites & you can compare prices right away.

Aurora, CO
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: flights to Kauai

In Nov, from Denver to Lihue, one stop though LAX, paid $950 or so a person for our Honeymoon.

For our return trip this summer, we are going, in August, we just got roundtrip from Denver to Lihue, Saturday to Saturday travel, one stop in Phoenix on America West for $670 a person plus tax.

We didnt think we could do much better than that with no middle of the week dpart/arrival or without several plane stops along the way for summer fares.

18. Re: flights to Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2009, 16:16