We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton or Marriott?

El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton or Marriott?

We are coming to Kauai in early October, and are spending a week on the North Shore. To use miles, we will also need to spend an extra night (quite a hardship). We are looking at either an ocean front room at the Sheraton or an ocean front or ocean view room at the Marriott. Sure....our first choice would be an ocean view room at the Hyatt, but the price differential is just too great.

I like the idea of spending the extra day in the Poipu area, but I also am attracted to the pool at the Marriott.

Any insights?

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

You are on the right track. During my last stays, the rooms seemed comparable. The Marriot has Duke's practically on the property and the essential ABC outpost just a few minute's walk beyond. The bay would be nice for little ones but is not what most people envision when they think of a beach-front hotel in Hawaii. The Marriot is pretty much on it's own, geographically, while the Sheraton is more in a resort area and you can get that feeling. Marriot is also a high-rise, more ostentatious property while the Sheraton is more low-key.

If you are going to do a lot of sight seeing then I'd suggest the Marriot for it's more central location. For relaxation and walks on the beach, I think Sheraton is the way to go.

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

Marriott!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

How do you envision spending your last day? Are you flying out early the next morning?

While I think the beach is better at the Sheraton I personally would pick the Marriott so I'd be close to the airport for my departure the next day. Since it's only for one night I'd rather save my driving time and be able to relax by that great Marriott pool and have dinner at Duke's the night before leaving. If you feel like you've seen and done everything on the island that you want to why not just park at the Marriott and take it easy until you fly out the next morning. One extra night only won't do much justic to the entire Poipu area anyway.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

If you mean the Lihue Marriott, I'd agree, it is much nicer than the Sheraton, but the Sheraton is in a nicer location.

Although I think the Marriott at Poipu is great too.

For one night, I don't know that it is worth the effort to go down to Poipu. Lihue is more convenient.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

I would stay at the Sheraton. The drive from Poipu to the airport in Lihue is a very short drive, but I think well worth it. The Poipu area is very nice. The Marriott in Lihue is okay....a bit too busy for my taste though.

El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

Our flight doesn't leave until close to 2:00 p.m., so we should have plenty of time to get to the airport regardless of which property.

As we will be spending 7 nights in the Princeville area at Shearwater (timeshare trade), we will spending most of our time at the different beaches on the North Shore. The Marriott pool seems appealing, as the pool at the condo isn't great. I think our primary activity for this last day and night it to simply relax. We actually stayed at this property when it was a Westin.

But, the appeal of a night down at Poipu beach is appealing. I am just a bit concerned with some of the negative comments about the Sheraton.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

QuietTraveler - I really don't get the negative comments. I hear what you're saying, they're out there, but I really believe those are some old comments possibly. From what I remember seeing they were pretty much comments on the old garden view rooms. The gardenview buildings were not destroyed by the last hurricane and consequently were not completely rebuilt, as the oceanfront wings were. And I believe it was not too long ago that those gardenview rooms were updated. In looking t pictures of them they look every bit as nice, imo, as the oceanfront rooms.

But since you're looking for an oceanfront room anyway, none of that matters. I honestly have heard of any negative reviews on oceanfront rooms. Other than the rooms, per se, I don't think I've seen an ongoing negative issue with any other facet of the resort. Maybe we're looking at two different things.

Since you have until 2 p.m. the next day then go with the Sheraton if that's what you want. I really don't see how you would be disappointed , when staying in the oceanfront rooms. Just ask for a room in the Ocean Wing. The Beach Wing has the pool right in front of it and it's not quite as peaceful.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

There shouldn't be any negative comments about the Sheraton. While it isn't the Marriott Resort or the Grand Hyatt, it is a great little property, even the rooms across the street in the garden section.

I am sure the rooms could use an updating, but the location is unbeatable. I looked at some of the negative reviews and it seems to me some people just like to moan. I discount those with few contributions and anyone who could give this location less than 4 stars, and I even look harshly at the 4 star location people because this is a great, 5 star location.

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

....but the pool at The Marriott is fabulous!!!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton or Marriott?

I would say just pick one, whichever one location appeals to you more. Sounds like you are leaning toward Poipu than it must be Sheraton. Really, for one night, no reason to stress over it. You will merely crash in your room at night and shower before heading out. What could be so wrong with it? The airport is half-hour or so away and you are on an afternoon flight.