We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

The day started with a breakfast at Hanalei Wake-Up Café. It’s about a 10 minute drive from Princeville. I checked Yelp and found mixed reviews about this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant. We ordered a Cinnamon Mac Nut Roll, Breakfast Omelet with Portuguese Sausage, Cheese, and Mushrooms, and a side order of pancakes. I enjoyed the omelet, maybe it’s because of the sausage that I normally don’t get to eat it in the mainland. The pancake was just okay, nothing special. Before I leave the island, my goal is to eat a good pancake with Mac Nuts and banana.

Caitlin Takes the Stage

After having breakfast, we drove over to the Hanalei Farmers Market. Lots of local fruits and vegetables, along with local clothing items and household accessories. My family decided to relax under the canopy and we watched a local Hawaiian group serenade the crowd with its island sounds. Caitlin decided to go near the musicians and played on whatever instrument she found. She also danced in front of the crowd. I was both entertained, partly embarrassed, since I don’t know how this affected the musicians. Not long after, other little kids decided to join Caitlin, okay, so I’m not that embarrassed anymore.

Tunnels Beach - North Shore

Around 10am, we headed further North towards Tunnels Beach. I’ve read about this beach, and in the past 2 times I’ve been to Kaua’i, I’ve never had a chance to go to this beach. Not this time. My goal is to find it. So I followed the road down Hanalei, and noticed lots of signs leading to Tunnels Beach. Finally, we are at Tunnels. Ethan snorkeled, while Madison, for the very 1st time, gave snorkeling a try. You’d think that she’d done it before, but today

was her first time. She enjoyed it so much. Caitlin and I played in the water, and Nancy and Evan joined much later. It was bright and sunny – a perfect day to be out in the ocean.

An hour in to our playtime, we saw a turtle not too far from the beach. It was just swimming around. People noticed that we were gathered and pointing at an object, and next thing you know, there must have been 20 people staring and swimming around the turtle. No harm though. The crowd was very respectful.

The kids didn't want to leave. They weren't even complaining or mentioned anything about food. We had so much fun and didn’t realize that we were out playing for nearly 4 hours.

Very Late Lunch/Early Dinner

After leaving Tunnels Beach, we drove back to Lihue. We went to Hamura Saimin, another Kaua’I find back in 2008. I ordered the extra-large Saimin Special loaded with noodles, pork, wonton, fishcake, scallions, and more. Nancy and I shared this large bowl. We also ordered fried wontons. The kids enjoyed the skewered BBQ. It was worth the drive from Princeville. Hamura Saimin will forever be in my list of places to visit whenever I come back to Kaua’i.

Of course, Costco, where else?

Not too far from Hamura is Costco. I think I’ve gone to every single Costco in Hawaii. We needed a few more things, and I also wanted to buy another Ahi Poke. I went to the fish section and ordered a ½ lb. That will be my dinner. Thanks Costco! Aaaahhhh….

Today, was just perfect.... just perfect! Aloha and mahalo for reading our adventure.

Here is today's slideshow (try the links attached)

www.facebook.com/video/video.php…

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1518347791562&saved#!/video/video.php?v=1518347791562

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

I am not a techie here but I love what you have done with your pictures - just curious how you add the music to it. Is all this done through FB? Beautiful family!

Oregon
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

I'm really enjoying reading about your family trip. Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us and to share your pictures. Could you make the photos accessible to those of us who aren't members of Facebook? Thanks!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

I don't have a Facebook account either and would love to see the photos - I'm enjoying your reports - thank you!

3Chihuahuas

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Thanks all :-)

About the slideshow and music, I use my Macbook Pro and the iPhoto software program that came along with it. Basically, I pick the the pictures I want on the slideshow, pick the theme, pick a song from iTunes, and let the Mac do it's magic. I know I make it sound easy :-)

Here's the public link for the pics...

www.facebook.com/album.php…

Abou

California
Level Contributor
36,651 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Wake Up Cafe is not famous for their pancakes. They are famous for Over The Falls French Toast. For great pancakes go to elsewhere.

Your kids are adorable.

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Thx Jebbett... good to know :-)

Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

loved the slideshow!!! Amazing you've got those done already...I'm impressed.

Someday I WILL bring my kids along. Loved the pics of them playing in the surf at Tunnels :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Very, very lovely video and what a gorgeous and happy family!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Too cute your keiki! And no, I'm sure it was fine with the musicians that your daughter was dancing with them - at a Farmer's Market it is pretty much kanikapila (back door music) style and I'm sure they just thought she was a local kid enjoying the music and dancing - no worries I'm sure!

If you enjoy hula there are free keiki hula shows at the Coconut Marketplace on Saturdays and Wednesdays (5pm and 1:30 respectively) where young students from the hula halau that I am in perform hula and Tahitian dance.

Also there is free keiki hula show at the Grand Hyatt (same hula halau) at Seaview Terrace at 7pm on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Your video is really great - and I love the original "Hapa" music!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,703 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaua'i Day 2 - Fun in the Sun

Best banana pancakes, IMHO, are at Eggberts in Coconut Marketplace just below Kapa`a. The ones I had a Oki Diner not too long ago were pretty sad - a few slices of banana on top of the stack of plain pancakes.