We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau's

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Luau's

We will be staying on the North Shore. We want to go to the best Luau on Kauai. Any Suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luau's

We have been to 4 or 5 luaus on Kauai, and our favorite was at the Mediterranean Gourmet that we went to this year. It's on the North Shore about a 15 min. drive north of Hanalei. www.kauaimedgourmet.com

Next summer my plan is to try the Mailani, Dinner Show at the St. Regis--not really a luau but sounds like something I'd enjoy, and I know the view is gorgeous. www.StRegisPrinceville.com

Edited: 29 August 2010, 22:22
California
Level Contributor
37,025 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luau's

"Best" is subjective.

Since you are staying on the NS then by all means go to Med' Gourmets. It is very small and intimate from what I have heard and not a big production like you might be expecting. Have you ever gone to a luau before? If so then Med G's would be perfect. Lovely location (but beware of too many mai tais and driving the winding road home) and the food is excellent. I am hearing wonderful things about the show at St Regis. Friend's of mine just went and loved every minute. Of course the weather was perfect and the view crystal clear. It is very expensive.

If you want a more traditional luau then go to Smiths.

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luau's

This will be our first jebett. The wife is leaning towards the Smith one but we have read a couple of reviews that said the show was just so so. Have you heard anything like that?

I would like our first time to be something to remember.

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luau's

That reply was also meant for you as well 22kauai. With a handle like that, I am guessing you are a local as well. :))

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
37,025 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luau's

Neither 22Kauai or myself live on the island. I have a home there though.

I have been to many luaus. The first one I ever went to was Smith's. I loved it. I have been to luaus on many islands (and even Malaysia) and loved them all. Some people like Smith's and others say it is cheesy. I think those people who say its cheesy, think any luau is cheesy. You can't go wrong. Even if you see the show at The St Regis (though it's not really a luau but more of a show) it will be a special evening.

If you want a more traditional show then consider Smith's.

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luau's

Well then Smiths it is. Thank you both for the replies.

11 days and counting.. :))

Al and Bobbi

California
Level Contributor
9,639 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luau's

I so wish I were a local!!! We have been to Kauai many times and try to keep up with what is going on throughout the year. If you have never been to a luau, you would probably enjoy Smith's. It is highly recommended by many on this forum including Koloagirl. Honestly, it was not my favorite, but I think I'm definitely in the minority. Hey, you'll be in Kauai and will have a great time wherever you go!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luau's

Have fun Al and Bobbi! You will love the north shore - the scenery is so beautiful that it looks fake. Be aware that the traffic thru Kapaa at rush hour is heavy. Allow plenty of travel time from North SHore.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,864 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luau's

Yes, go early to Smith's. I made the mistake the first time I went - arrived in time just for the imu (sp?) ceremony and beginning of dinner. Come a bit early and enjoy the tour of the gardens - it is beautiful! I have also been to a luau on Maui, but much preferred Smith's. :)

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Luau's

Thanks so much Freeny, Coalminer, and 22kauai for the well wishes and the great advice.

10 days away, Al & Bobbi. (Kauai Virgins)