We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

I am still debating where to stay in Kauai for a September trip. My finalists are:

Hyatt: Pros: great location, beautiful grounds; Cons: Not a good beach for swimming (too rough)

Sheraton: Pro: Supposedly the best resort beach, calmest water for swimming of the 3 resort beaches and nicest as far as fewest rocks; Cons: not as nice or luxurious as the other 2 resorts

Princeville: Pros: Beautiful location, luxurious resort; Cons: not as great a beach as Poipu at the resort, more prone to rain

I would love any input anyone could offer as I try to make a decision

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

The beach at Princeville is spectacular with mountains and bali hai in the distance-I've seen both beaches and north shore beaches are the most stunning.

Boston
Level Contributor
263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

I agree with Enjoy, beaches up north are great. The Princeville beach is a decent enough resort beach. It is not as nice as the Sheraton beach, but we found it to be less crowded, and very swimable.

Princeville & Sheraton are both Starwood resorts. You can use the grounds at either, and even charge lunch/drinks back to your room from either. We toured the Sheraton and it seemed decent enough, but its clearly not in the same class as the Hyatt or Princeville.

The Hyatt is gorgeous from what we could see. Lots more people, lots more kids than at the Princeville. Princeville offers the best scenic setting.

Good luck, and don't stress over the choice too much. You'll have a great time wherever you end up.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

Lots of kids at the Hyatt so that would be my biggest issue. The Princeville seemed (dare I say) more high class, so not us, although very nice.

Of the 3, I would personally choose the Sheraton but only in an oceanfront room in the wing away from the swimming pool. But thats just me!

As your previous poster said, don't sweat it--you can't make a bad choice. (Although I would definitely avoid the garden section of the Sheraton as it is across the street with the main part of the Sheraton between you and the ocean)

Let us know what you decide please.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

I am enjoying the good info from you all... Would you put the Marriott Resort in the mix? How is the beach there as far as waves and being swimmable?

Boston
Level Contributor
263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

We found the Princeville to be very comfortable. Not a pretentious atmosphere. The staff was great all around, especially the pool staff.

People actually had a personality, they smiled, laughed, talked with guests. It was nice, things like that are not for everyone, but they added to our stay.

A good contrast to the robotic efficiency of, say the Four Seasons in Maui. Guests at the Princeville also seemed much more laid back. I don't think I heard a cell phone conversation at the pool the whole week. I can't say that about the Four Seasons.

Boston
Level Contributor
263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

Gneil, are you going for your honeymoon? I can't help with the Marriot, we really didn't check that out at all.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

Not a honeymoon (we did Aruba for that) this year. It will be our 1 year anniversary.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

Would you put the Marriott Resort in the mix?

Aloha!

I LOVE the Marriott. Not as fancy at the Princeville, not as "grand" as the Hyatt, but a GREAT central location, PRETTY gounds, a HUGE pool, GOOD restaurants on-site and nice rooms. It holds a spell on me...I find its beauty and serenity to be just right for me.

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

I would definitely consider marriott. How is the beach there? calm? swimmable?

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Princeville v. Hyatt v. Sheraton

If you're talking about the Marriott in Lihue on Kalapaki Beach, that's a fine little beach for swimming and boogie boarding in September. You might even see some kite surfers.