We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on Monaco's?

Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Info on Monaco's?

Does anyone have any input on a restaurant in the Kini Popo shopping center in Wailua called Monaco's? We were told it has good Mexican food. Any other recommendation for Mex. food? We are staying in Poipu.

California
Level Contributor
37,956 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on Monaco's?

I haven't eaten there in a while but it was okay. Personally I don't go to Hawaii to eat Mexican since I am from CA and can good food here, but every now and then I want a good fish taco on the island.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
903 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on Monaco's?

You must mean Monico's. It's OK. We personally like Verde's better, and Red Hot Mama's also when out that way. IMHO, if you really like mexican just grab a huli huli chicken, some tortillas, queso blanco and make your own salsa. 10x better.

Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on Monaco's?

Thanks you for correct spelling...Monico's..now I'm finding info on it.

We're from California also..have great Mexican food here. But we want to dine out..not cook...we're on vacation from that. Thank you all for your responses.

California
Level Contributor
37,956 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on Monaco's?

I don't blame you for wanting to eat out, but I think you have better options close by. Are you staying in the Wailua area which is why you asked about Monico's? If so you can eat at Kintaros for good Japanese food or across the street from that center where Monico's is located is Cafe Coco. You eat outside so bring bug spray but its very good.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on Monaco's?

Monico's is an extremely popular restaurant, for good reason. It is usually pretty crowded and is a favorite amongst many of my friends. The owner is a really, really nice guy too. While it is really good, I don't get there too often because I don't really crave Mexican food all that much. Maybe if I lived closer, I would go there more frequently as well. But if Mexican is what you want, definitely check it out!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on Monaco's?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

When my hubby and I get a craving for Mexican food (we are originally from California) - we always go to "La Bamba" at Kukui Grove Shopping Center.

I don't know why you don't hear it mentioned more as it is really popular here amongst my friends at any rate - but it isn't fancy, no ambiance, but the food is good and the prices are very reasonable.

It would get my vote personally over Monico's - where I've been 2 or three times and never really thought it was all that good - just my opinion.

I do love Red Hot Mama's up in Ha'ena, but only get up there once in a blue moon - so I kind of discount it - if you are up there however, do try it out - as well as Federico's at the Princeville Shopping Center - I've eaten there twice I think and my hubby and I both really enjoyed it!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Manteca California
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on Monaco's?

MarO...thanks for the positive comment on Monico's

jebett...actually, we are staying at the Marriott Waiohai in Poipu. Our traveling companion's son and daughter in law love Monico's and since we have to pick up another couple at the airport one evening we thought we'd try it out for dinner. Not far from Lihue..right?

Janet.....thanks for suggesting LaBamba we will also keep it in mind.

mahalo Donna

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on Monaco's?

Monaco's is great, authentic Maxican food. I shouldn't write tis cos I don't want to have to wait in line to get a table next time I go!! Their carnitas are the best on the island, (besides mine) Go for it it's great!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on Monaco's?

Monico's is ok. Don't care much for the location -- too much traffic noise esp if you are outside. Our favorite -- La Playita Azul went down hill and died so Mexican is off the list for the most part.

Personally I found La Bamba to be un-appealing. No black beans last time were were there, just refried (ugh).

Unless you are desperate for Mexican, there are better alternatives on Kauai. Especially if you're making a special trip up from Poipu.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
880 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on Monaco's?

I agree with Janet a 100 percent I love La Bamba,

For a view there also is Mariachi's in the Harbor Mall at Kalapaki Bay it is upstairs so you do have a view of Kalapaki. The last time we were there we had breakfast it was good.