We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

My mom and I will arrive on Kauai in 26 days, and the excitement is really starting to take over now! I have a busy schedule between now and then, so I know the time is going to fly by. This will be my second trip and my mom's first -- it is a 75th birthday present for her. I know we are going to have a wonderful time no matter what we do (even if we do absolutely NOTHING), but I am starting to make a list of things I think she would enjoy so that we can look over it on the flight over and decide what is most important to us.

When I visited 2 years ago with my husband, it was all about snorkeling, hiking, Napali coast zodiac tour, etc...in other words, pretty active stuff. My mother is 75 and has bad knees, so this will be a completely different kind of visit. Definitely no strenuous hiking, no boat tours or helicopter rides, and probably no snorkeling....that will be the hardest for me, but she won't snorkel and I don't think it's safe for me to go out alone.

Anyway, she loves to take photos, paint, and draw and plans to bring some sketchpads and pastels with her. She loves plants and gardens and all kind of scenic vistas...no shortage of those on Kaua'i! We share a love of delicious food, although we will probably limit ourselves to one big splurge dinner and good but reasonably priced meals the rest of the time.

So, here is what I have on my list so far...mind you, we will not do ALL of these things! We will leave plenty of down time for relaxing, sitting on the lanai and enjoying the Bali Hai view, sketching, floating in the pool, etc.

- Visit Sunshine Market in Kilauea (Thursday) or Farmer's Market in Hanalei (Saturday)

- Take Limahuli Garden tour

- Drive up Waimea Canyon, stopping everywhere to soak in scenery

- Art Night in Hanapepe on Friday

- Kilauea lighthouse

- McMaster Slack Key concert on Sunday, 10/24

- Beach House for our one splurge dinner (by her request)

- Wake-Up Cafe for breakfast

- Kilauea Fish Market as often as we can

- Hamura's Saimin for lunch

- loads and loads of shave ice/ice cream treats

- Hawaiian music at Tahiti Nui

- Beaches to visit: Anini, Ke'e, Hanalei Bay, maybe visit Maha'ulepu coastline...no crazy beach "paths" or strenuous hikes this time!

- any other ideas?

Aloha,

Lisa

New York, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

Would you consider taking a snorkel tour on your own and letting mom hang at the hotel or condo by herself for that time. I ahte to see you missing out on a favorite activity.

denville, nj
Level Contributor
693 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

What about the Kauai Photo tour which has been discussed here recently? That might be a good option if she enjoys photography etc. The self guided Limahuli Garden tour involves quite a bit of walking up hills if I recall correctly.It's wonderful, but maybe not the best garden tour for someone with bad knees. Maybe the guided tour uses carts, or one of the other gardens?

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

You could take a snorkel/Na Pali Cruise so mom could enjoy the views while you get a chance to snorkel. You could also consider the tube the flume. Very easy, you just sit in an inner tube and float down the old sugar cane flumes...not strenuous or hard on the knees but something uniquely Kauai.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

I like to take first time visitors to the Kauai Coffee Company. The views are lovely and there is a small museum as well as a tasting station and gift shop. Last time I was there a man was giving a demonstration of coffee roasting, which was quite interesting. This little side trip would fit in nicely with either your Waimea Canyon visit or Hanapepe Art Night.

She might like the Fern Grotto boat ride, too. My mom really enjoyed that.

Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

I thought about doing a tour by myself, but that's really an entire day that I'd be spending on my own (we're staying on the north shore, so the long drive around...). My husband and I had a fabulous snorkel/Napali coast tour 2 yrs. ago, but even with a group, we stuck together like glue while snorkeling. I'll think about it.

I like the coffee plantation idea - thanks! And the fern grotto ride might be nice too...I will add those both to our list. I wondered about the Limahuli tour and the hills...if the paths are smooth, it might be okay, but that is something I will have to ask Mom about. At least for the self-guided tour, we don't need to worry about making a reservation. I will do a search on the Photo Tour...thanks for mentioning that!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

I would take your mom and her sketchbook to Tunnels, where you can snorkel and she can sketch Bali Hai up close and personal.

…photobucket.com/albums/…b2a3.jpg

Or maybe Ke'e Beach.

…photobucket.com/albums/…KeeBeachPanorama.jpg

Edited: 24 September 2010, 15:53
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

Maybe this is the photo tour you're all talking about but it also has "painting tours" where you're taken to spots for some watercolor painting. I bet she'd like that one. Click on the button for "painting tours"

http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/Kauaitours.htm

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

Actually, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of that link you'll see the "Kauai Paint For The Day" tour.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

I would take her to see the Torchlighting ceremony at The Hyatt before going to dinner at Beach House.

I am going to the fundraiser on Oct 23rd for the 100th birthday celebration of the owner of Coco Palms. Grace Guslander has passed away, but it's a fundraiser for the historical society and includes music by Larry Rivera and dancing at the site of Smith's luau. If you are still there this might be a nice evening vs taking her to a luau.

Don't forget to include a knock on the door of my place!

www.kauaifestivals.com/festivals/10/2010/

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 26 days!! Fun stuff to do with 75-year-old mom

We've taken my mother on a few trips to Kauai at this age. She really loved the National Tropical Botanical Garden tour in Poipu (Allerton Gardens). She also enjoyed the sunset dinner crusie with Captain Andy's. We always go to the torchlighting ceremony and the Hyatt and she enjoys this as well. And she enjoyed the Kilauea lighthouse and driving up to Waimea Canyon. Her favorite restaurant was Plantation Gardens.