We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

Washington
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

I am looking into renting a condo from an owner on Kauai. I am seeing a number of rental agencies and am wondering if some have a better reputation than others? (if you can ethically tell me that...I know that there is always someone who has had a bad experience) Is the rental agency just the listing agent and you then deal with the owner?

I have never done this before but the prices are so much less in some resorts than booking thru the hotel that I thought I would look into it.

Are there any questions I should be asking or other things to be aware of if I decide to rent a condo? Thanks

California
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

If someone won't take a credit card don't use them. You have very little buyer protection unless put your rental on a credit card.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

I just booked one through "Kauai Calls!" for the Waipouli resort.

http://kauaicalls.com/

So far I am very satisfied. We have not travelled yet though. The woman I have been working with (Candace) has been very friendly and honest. One thing I like is that they manage a lot of units at our chosen resort, so if there is an issue with a unit being sold or foreclosed they should be able to make other arrangements. I had spoken to a few independant owners, and one had no rental contract at all which made me very uncomfortable. The terms and conditions of their contract seem fair and common. No red flags yet. They are also based on Kauai, and have a cell phone number listed which is a bit comforting.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

BTW when comparing prices make sure you ask about the total of the taxes due, the exit cleaning fee, and insurances needed, cancellation policy, and how the deposit is handled. The taxes should be substantian in a legit rental on Kauai (13.4+ %). Ours was all very clearly spelled out and in the contract itself.

Washington
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

Thanks for the information. I have also been in contact with Candace about a unit at Waipouli so it is good to hear positive feedback about her. I know my grandson would love this place but it is so different from where we usually stay that I am still unsure if I want to stay there.

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

I know an EXTREMELY well respected owner at Kuhio Shores that does not take credit cards. I can tell you that if ANYTHING happened he would do everything he could to accommodate you. I also know rental agents that couldn't move friends of mine because nothing was open so I am not of the mindset that the best protection is if you book with a credit card. I rent a house at Lake Tahoe every year and they have never taken cc. It is more about the owner and their reputation.

I can also tell you I have dealt with Candace about her rentals at WBR and she is very nice. In a few cases you might deal with the owner directly and then they hand you over to an agency. Regency Pacific is like that with some rentals at HBR.

Another very nice agent is Amy Grant. She lives on the island (does Candace, I can't remember).

Also check out Ahh Aloha and Sandy Greenberg. She has a pretty good reputation.

If you are interested in the South Shore area, Parrish is very good.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

We have used a number of agencies on the 20+ years we've been traveling to Kauai. We have used Parrish Collection, Garden Island Rentals. Gloria's, Kauai Vacation Rentals, Suite Paradise, Aston, etc. We've also stayed at the Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriott, Princeville, Waimea Plantation Cottages, Hanalei Colony Resort and Kokee Lodge. Of all the rental agencies, we have found Parrish Kauai to be the most professional of all of them. They have superior customer service, they maintain their properties very well and they do take credit cards. They also have a great concierge service for tours and reservations. Parrish represents the owner and we only deal with Parrish when we rent a condo or home from them. They have several offices on the island. Their main office is in Koloa but they also have an office in Princeville and two satellite offices in Poipu.

My best friend of 20 years passed away Thanksgiving week in 2003 while we were vacationong in Poipu. Not only did Parrish (Grantham) refund the rest of our stay, they helped with all of the arrangements with mortuary, airline, rental car, etc. I was amazed at how much they did for us during a very difficult time.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 00:01
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

I'm a little confused. Are you looking to book with an owner or book through an agent? Condo or resort hotel?

Rory, in answer to your question:

" Is the rental agency just the listing agent and you then deal with the owner? "

No, a true property manager/rental agent is the one and only person you will deal with. Yes, you will see sites online that look like they are sites for a property manager but they are in fact just listing sites where the owner pays a fee to list there. There are many of these sites which is why you will see the same listings over and over again at each site.

A full rental agency is one that is also a property manager, has a real estate license also, and has their own staff for housekeeping, maintenance, reservations, etc. etc. Most of them are located on-island. Some may be off-island but they have subcontracted out for local cleaning and maintenance. A rental agency like these will have a decent to very good inventory of units they manage and you will never deal with the owner. You book with them, pay them, deal with them. If you have any problems they'll have maintenance staff there or try to move you to another unit.

Two examples of these full agencies on the south shore are:

Suite Paradise

Parrish Kauai.

. Both have approx. 200 units each. With Suite Paradise you book by category. With Parrish you pick the exact unit you want from pictures they show online. Both are great operations and both are local with offices in Poipu.

Speaking for just the south shore now, there are others like this that I'd also recommend......

Garden Island Rentals and Kauai Vacation Rentals and Real Estate.

All 4 of these great companies are also licensed realtors.

It's true you can find cheaper prices through places like vrbo but not always. Many rental agencies are giving good discounts these days too. There are pluses and minuses to both methods of renting. If you're looking at a condo , renting thru a rental agency OR an individual owner both mean full payment 30-60 days in advance with steep cancellation penalties, a cleanout fee and usually a security deposit.

I wouldn't book with anyone, rental agent or individual owner, if they ask for cash or check. I would only pick those who accept credit cards or paypal.

Always inquire about:

Security deposits - how much, what is the procedure and timeline for returning it ( some here have reported they had to wait forever to see their money) , what types of circumstances would mean they'd dock your security deposit.

What are you required to do to the condo when you leave? (I've heard of some agencies requiring you to load up the dishwasher and clean them all and run all sheets and towles thru the wash).

Who do you call for maintenance issues? Is there a local representative on-island for this? Their own employees?

Who do you pay ? When due? Cancellation provisions? (get in writing)

Where/when do you get the keys?

Local phone service provided? How are long distance calls handled?

Most importantly, what happens if you are unhappy with the unit or felt it was mis-represented? Does the owner or agency have more inventory for you to pick from?

Do they have guest comments for you to check? (keep in mind very few renters will actually post comments online).

The list of questions can go on and on but you don't want to scare them off either!

Hope this helps.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 00:08
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

We rented through Suite Paradise also a few years back and it was fine, as promised. It was a 2bdrm extra deluxe garden view at Poipu Kai. The unit itself was actually in immaculate shape with awesome decor and electronics. Poipu is a great location IMO. I also checked my latest agency (Kauai Calls) with the BBB and they are rated A+. I'd read all of the reviews here once you pick a property and look for red flags about a specific units or owners. The latest review for Waipouli must be read to avoid a read headache..

9. Re: Top Rated Condo Rental Agencies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:16