We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

Looking to plan one really nice meal during our honeymoon on Kauai -- have eaten at Beach House and really liked it ... I see lots of recs on here for Tidepools, and was just looking at the menu.

I was leaning towards Tidepools for the setting and the fact that I hadn't been there, but the menu -- or at least the one posted online -- seems fairly standard and unexciting.

So ... why do you prefer one of these places over the other? Or, is there somewhere else you'd recommend? What about Plantation Gardens?

Thanks!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

I've had some very good meals at Tidepools and some just OK meals. I think the food is over-priced, ingeneral, for what you get. But the atmosphere is outstanding, in the midst of the lagoons with torchlights, very romantic. It is quieter than the Beachhouse, which I like. Others on the board really like Plantation Gardens, but I haven't been there for so long, I can't really give an opinion.

Santa Clara, CA
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

I recommend Merriman's. The best food I've had on the island with great ocean views. I'm talking specifically about the upstairs portion, not the cafe downstairs. Joe, my server, was really impressive and the food, focused on local stuffs, was outstanding!

California
Level Contributor
37,601 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

Again, the rumor is Merriman's upstairs is closing.

Tidepools is all about the ambiance. You could consider Plantation Gardens as well.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,832 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

My husband has been to Merriman's and though he had a nice meal, he thought it was overpriced. Also, there were several children running around the lawn just below Merriman's when he was there and that ruined the ambiance for him. I understand that this is a common occurrence (the grass area is right next to the more casual Merriman’s restaurant downstairs).

We've been to Tidepools numerous times. We had a fabulous meal in December 2007 but when we returned in June 2008, it was just OK. It has been like that for years, hit or miss. And it is expensive.

We also dine at Plantation Gardens on every year since 1998. My husband goes on every business trip (4 times a year). I've never had a bad meal there and the service has always been excellent. We went again last August and again, it was great! I ordered the fresh fish, excellent. My husband and niece split the pork tenderloin and it was also excellent (I’ve had this meal in the past and love it!) The server was fun and prompt and very good. We also love the Lolikoi Cheesecake!

Since you have already been to the Beach House, I would recommend Plantation Gardens. You can park in their parking lot between the restaurant and the Sheraton. Walk over to the Sheraton’s The Pointe Bar and have a nice drink while enjoying the ocean and maybe sunset. And then walk over to Plantation Gardens for a lovely dinner overlooking their gardens which are lit up at night with tiki torches.

http://pgrestaurant.com/html/home.htm

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

I agree with prior comments that Tidepools enjoys a lovely setting, but the food is uninspiring. We really enjoyed Merriman's last December and so I would highly recommend this restaurant, assuming it does not close by the time you get there. There was a large and noisy table but we sat on a lanai on the side and were not bothered by the group. Plantation Gardens, as recommended by Marti, is excellent and the best value on Kauai. We never miss a meal there.

California
Level Contributor
449 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

I ate at all three of the places. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of these. The best fish I had on my trip was at Beach House. We had great service and enjoyed a quiet, romantic meal. We went late, after the dinner rush at sunset, and it was quiet and romantic. Tidepools has wonderful ambiance. It's really beautiful and romantic. The food was good, but in my experience no better than Beach House. I loved Plantation Gardens. The setting is so cool, and old plantation house. We had excellent service and the food was delicious.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Nothing bad to say about any of them - I've eaten at all 3 (although Beach House and Tidepools very infrequently!) - but my personal favorite would have to be Plantation Gardens - just so much more low-key and Kaua'i kine elegant without being pretentious - I love the setting and I've always enjoyed the food there when we've gone to celebrate some special occasion for hubby and I or friends.

I by no means eat out a lot - but I'd personally, given the choice of going to one of the three - always choose Plantation Gardens!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

Tidepools is a great setting and wonderful service, but the food while good, is somewhat dated.

We think Merriman's is the best food on Kauai currently.

The Plantation Gardens is also a nice setting, but the food there is okay, not knock your socks off.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

Our two top special dinners out are :

the beach house and

plantation gardens, and keep going back.

We have eaten at most of the restaurants on kauai, local to resorts, and 90% or higher, are good. When we run into over rated, over priced for what you get, or what I call sterile politeness....we just do not return.

But, we certainly keep on returning to those that we feel are very special for what we like when dinning out.

Wont get into all of them, but in most cases you will have an excellent and very wonderful dining experience.

If you have the time, you might want to try both the beach house and tide pools.....it does not have to be one or the other.

Denny

Edited: 03 October 2010, 05:14
10. Re: Beach House vs Tidepools vs ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 06:41