We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KAUAI question....

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
KAUAI question....

On mauka side - road across from the expansive beach north of Kapaa where the bike trail used to end - leads into a very small sequestered neighborhood which ends in a dead end circle on the other side of a stone bridge. Drop dead gorgeous spot. Old "No Trespassing" sign on path leading inland adjacent to a gorgeous bubbling stream. Was told it was the property of the guy who caused the big flood a few years ago - Flagler?

What about the stream/path? Can you go in or should you be aware?

BARBARA

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KAUAI question....

look at you now albqbarb, you're a posting-crazy woman! good thing you decided to stay with tripadvisor ;-)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KAUAI question....

The guy's name is Pflueger (sp?). If there's a No Trespassing sign you should not go in. Clearly.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KAUAI question....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Sounds like you are talking about the area mauka (inland) of Kealia Beach.....could it be around the Spalding monument (to honor a former plantation owner) at the very end of the road where there is indeed a dead end and gorgeous property beyond?

Here is a picture of the small monument: …google.com/mw-panoramio/…9897017.jpg

And the area immediately around it:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3213920851_29b2268435.jpg?v=0

If you were told that it was owned by James Pflueger - I have no idea personally - but regardless, that would be one good reason to stay away....if you "google" his name and lawsuits you will come up with not only the Ka Loko Dam lawsuit in which he faced 7 counts of manslaughter - and currently I see another lawsuit in which he apparently was indicted in a tax fraud case. The guy is a real gem - no question about it!

Here is a quote about a nice trail walk that you can take in this area:

"The SPALDING STROLL is down the dirt drive fringed by tall Norfolk pines that lead away from the palm-encircled monument. You get some blue-water looks of the Kapaa coast and close-up views of a moist woodland valley. This hike will delight bird watchers. In about a mile, where a road veers to the right, the path you're on starts to drop steeply. The road continues down to a valley inland from Kealia, but you'll probably want to turn around."

To my best knowledge, this area is not marked "No Trespassing" - if it is, obviously avoid it - as always.

Beautiful area - you can drive on the loop around all the way to Anahola and come out almost by Duane's Ono Char Burgers - really gorgeous views - my best friend has a pastureland and horses up there on OHA lands - so beautiful!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KAUAI question....

If the land is where I now think it is - mauka of the Spalding Monument - it belongs to Tom McClusky. I was thinking it was up farther.

Edited: 03 October 2010, 02:55
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KAUAI question....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Here is a picture of the home of Tom and Bonnie McCloskey - who own 4,300 acres of gorgeous land mauka of Kealia:

kauaiunitedway.org/images/…66-106.jpg

You could have gone there last year for a fund-raiser dinner - it was only $500 a person - now WHY didn't I RSVP for that - I knew I forgot something?

Yowza! Life is good for the self-proclaimed "philanthropist"!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KAUAI question....

Where the dam broke is way North from where you are referring to.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KAUAI question....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Jebett" - I agree, I think the poster is referring to the land owned by McCloskey - at least as best I can figure out.

I don't think Pfueger has any land interests in the Kealia area - again, as best I know.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KAUAI question....

The reason I asked in spite of the "No Trespassing" sign is that it is old and fallen and you can't tell what it refers to. The path heading inland does not appear to be an access road but rather a path resulting from foot traffic. In other words, not purposeful. The sign is fallen and I truly can't remember exactly what property it implies it refers to.

The other trail sounds wonderful, Janet, but where do you start because I don't think we're talking about the same place. Where I am is on the mauka side of the main highway so unless there's a tunnel under the road, I'm not sure where to start on the hike you referred to. But it sounds wonderful so I want to know.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KAUAI question....

I know the damage was way north but someone told us they thought this was his land.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KAUAI question....

Thanks! Like I said, I've never done anything like this before. It is TOO much fun!