We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

i've been doing a lot of research about kauai dining and it's kinda crazy. nearly $40 for a pizza at brick oven? gimme a break!! i'd rather spend my money on a fur-lined sink or a gas-powered turtle neck sweater. we aren't tight budget travelers...but we're frugal. i've found some near-reasonable places...who knows if they're good or not though.

kalapaki joes

joes on the green (who is this joe guy...seems to get around!)

kalaheo cafe

sueoka's snack shop

pomodoro ristorante for a somewhat upscale dinner...

any opinions?

any suggestions on east and north shores are welcome also.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

I like Joe's on the Green for breakfast. And Pomodoro is not bad for Italian. I haven't been to Kalapaki JOe's yet, but hear good things about it. We also like to get plate lunches, fresh and smoked fish fish from the Koloa Fish Market.

On the east side, I'd recommend Ono Family Restaurant for breakfast and for more upscale, Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

thanks kimocat...

i forgot to mention i'm one of those weirdo vegetarians, which makes it twice as difficult. wife isn't though.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

You will find lots of vegetarian choices most everywhere on Kauai. And I hope koloagirl, our local vegetarian, will chime in and offer some of her favorites.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live here in the Po'ipu area - I don't eat meat (but do eat fish) and my hubby is a vegetarian (no meat or fish, but we both eat dairy).....and it really isn't difficult to find veggie meals around here at all.

Of the places you listed - I'd personally consider "Joe's on the Green" moderately priced (but great for breakfast), "Kalapaki Joe's" is fun and a sports bar atmosphere with that type of food, so pretty inexpensive as well.

Pomodoro Ristorante is in Kalaheo, about 10-15 minutes from here in the Po'ipu area - I've eaten there, and it is good, but since it is in an office complex that overlooks the highway (and my dentist is the door next to the Restaurant - yikes!) - it has really never "floated my boat" personally.

I'd much rather go someplace that would be about the same price range, but with a lovely atmosphere - "Plantation Gardens" would be my choice for an more upscale dinner.

Sueoka Snack Shop - a great choice for inexpensive and local take-out

Kukui'ula Store - across from the Fire Station on Po'ipu Rd. by the "roundabout" - they have great breakfast and lunch bentos made right there and their smoked potato in the skin (I think it is up to about $1.25 now!) is one of the best "meal deals" I can think of - always my stop to grab one to put in my little cooler with water for the beach - great lunch to go!

As far as vegetarian fare- you can get a mean grilled cheese sandwich at Sueoka Store as well as great egg salad sandwiches.....Kukui'ula as mentioned has many veggie choices in their deli area and of course the potato!

Joe's on the Green - never had trouble ordering vegetarian here - but we always go for breakfast when we do go - and there is plenty for a vegetarian....I love a bagel with a shmear and a bowl of miso soup myself!

If you put in "cheap eats" or something similar in the "search" category, I'm sure you will find tons of threads on just this subject - here is one to start out:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60625-i1817-k2201…

Lots of places to eat "cheap" and or "reasonable" here on Kaua'i - you just have to know where to go!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

thanks, janet....

i've done quite a bit of research...just thought i'd throw those out there for those who've eaten there, plus any others i might have missed or can't find.

i looked at plantation gardens menu but didn't see much vegetarian...maybe i missed something and get tired of eating the same old pasta dish most restaurants offer.

one persons vegetarian isn't necessarily the others. i'm basically vegan but do consume dairy. in other words, no fish or chicken stock and no eggs.

mahalo for the help!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I remember the last time we went to Plantation Gardens, when we made the reservation, we said that one of us was vegetarian - I truly can't remember what they came up with - but it was very good (according to my hubby) and wasn't just the "usual" plain pasta or stir fry veggie dish.

Do mention that you don't eat eggs (chicken or beef stock we don't do either!) when you make your reservation as well.

I also personally love the salad bar at Brennecke's Beach Broiler (for lunch usually) - they have a great selection of fresh items, some that you wouldn't ordinarily find in a salad bar (kim chee!) - and I've had that as a very good and satisfying lunch for not much $$ many times! Plus the view is a great place to people watch at the Po'ipu Beach Park directly across the street!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

<<I also personally love the salad bar at Brennecke's Beach Broiler >>

Sadly, they no longer have the salad bar! We went for lunch in August and it's no more.

Plantation Gardens has several salads and vegetarian pupus. And as Janet mentions, if you phone ahead, they will probably be able to put smoething together for you.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Oh, that is so sad "Martik" - when I last went there (must've been springtime) it was still there and still great- I loved their german potato salad and the kim chee - oh and the taro rolls too!

Oh well, still plenty for veggies - their pizzas are quite good - my hubby and I have had the cheese pizzas there and they are tasty as well (hope they still have those!!!).

A definite "thumbs up" for Plantation Gardens - always a good choice - for a vegetarian or non!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

thank you for the tips and input guys!

janet, isn't there bacon in german potato salad? grrrrr....i used to LOVE that stuff!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: reasonable eats in south(ern) kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You know, I'm not sure if it was "German" potato salad - it didn't have bacon in it that I can recall - and it was almost a kind of pesto taste to it...whatever it was...it was good!

Sorry to hear it has gone by the wayside - while we don't eat out often, it was something we always enjoyed when we went there - shoots!

BYW - my hubby is the "true" vegetarian, won't eat anything cooked with chicken broth, beef broth, or pull pepperoni off a pizza - me? I eat fish, so I'm not really vegetarian at all....and I'm a little more lenient when it comes to "picking" things out of saimin, bentos, etc. that have meat - in fact I love musubi - I pull the spam out and feed it to critters - but of course the grease from it is still in the rice - so......I'm a "wanna be" vegetarian more than anything else - hubby is the true deal!

Malama Pono,

Janet