We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay on kauai

Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
where to stay on kauai

My husband and I will be in Kauai for 5 nights the first week of Feb 2011. Wanted to get opinions on what area to stay in. I was in kauai many years ago and stayed in the Coconut Beach area, which I remeber as being just ok. Any suggestions?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay on kauai

The Coconut Beach area is on the east side of the island, which is a good central location, but tends to be windier than the north or south sides, and the beaches are always swimmable.

Depending on what you like, the north and south shores are both beautiful. The north is more 'tropical' looking and is quieter and more laid-back. It tends to rain more in the north, but I've been there numerous times and had more sun than rain. We love the Westin Princeville Ocean Villas, studio units offer enough space, Heavenly Beds and showers, small kitchens, etc., but the property looks and feels like a resort hotel. There is a restaurant on-site, bar service at the pool, etc., along with Hawaiian music and great bbq's for cooking up that perfect steak!

The hotel on the south shore that is offering some great rates on their garden view rooms is the Sheraton Kauai. We've stayed there as well and it's a great spot for swimming, snorkeling or just kicking back by the pool.

Email me if you'd like to hear more, because I could go on and on about Kauai (my favorite Island!)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,074 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay on kauai

In February, I would stay in Poipu or the west side. It does rain more on the NS, especially during the winter months. Also, the ocean conditions tend to be less favorable on the NS in the winter months.

Not sure if you are looking at a hotel or condo. What is your price point? There are 3 nice hotels in Poipu, Sheraton, Koa Kea and The Grand Hyatt. The Sheraton is a 4 star hotel and less expensive than the other two but on a fabulous beach. Koa Kea is a small, boutique hotel and it is also on the same great beach as the Sheraton. The Grand Hyatt is a full service hotel with lovely pools and grounds. If you are considering a condo, there are several properties to choose from in Poipu like Poipu Kai, Nihi Kai, Whaler's Cove, etc. Here are some aerial shots of the different resorts on the island.

Level Contributor
3,115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay on kauai

Been twice to Kauai and stayed on the North Shore both times (Hanalei Bay Resort and Pu'u Poa). I recommend both and for me the North Shore of Kauai is what you picture Hawaii to be. It doesn't get much better than the North Shore. Go to Wizardpub.com and you can get aerial views of all the resorts on Kauai, with reviews and cost. Should help you decide.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay on kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

While there are no weather "guarantees--" you are coming in February and that is our wintertime - just like the mainland - so you definitely have a higher chance of encountering rain, especially on the North Shore, which is the rainiest (and lushest) part of the island. The North Shore is beautiful, green and lush, but it is that way because it does encounter more rain - and during the winter months, the ocean conditions generally are rough with high surf - not ideal for swimming or snorkeling (always check daily ocean conditions however). No question about its beauty - and you can easily drive elsewhere on the island most of the time to get away from the rain if you have to.

The East Side - which is sometimes called the "Coconut Coast" is the commercial heart of the island and is centrally located - but it does get windward showers pretty frequently during the winter and there are no good swimming beaches except for Lydgate Park and sometimes Kalapaki Bay in Lihu'e.

The South Shore is the traditionally "sunny side" of Kaua'i - and is generally warmer and drier than other areas during the winter (generally) - except for the West Side, which at any time of the year, is always the warmest and driest part of the island. The Hawaiian ali'i (royalty) used to spend their winters on the South Shore since it was usually dry and sunny.

So figure out what is most important to you, pick a part of the island that looks to be your personal "favorite" and go for it!

Malama Pono,

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay on kauai

Loved our stay in Poipu. This coming Feb we are going to Waipouli Beach resort in Kapaa. It looks pretty amazing, but I won;t know for sure until you are back. Google the condo's there.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay on kauai

I've seen the condos at Waipouli Beach Resort and they are fantastic. The beach isn't swimmable, but you can certainly walk along it and it's great during sunset. They have one of the best pools for a condo property I've ever seen. Have a blast!

Anchorage, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay on kauai

This is a heavy question, so I will make it simple, for weather South Poipu, for location East (Coconut Coast) for scenery and beaches North Shore. And to get totallly away from just about any one with warmer weather West. Hope that helps.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay on kauai

Just got back from a week in Poipu and stayed at Poipu Kapili Condo #39. This is a wonderful location and the condo has everything you could want--large bedroom and living room, 2 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, pool on the lovely grounds, view of the ocean from the patio, and more. Also, the condo is about 1/2 the price of the hotels in the area and we enjoyed the space and ability to make our breakfasts etc.

9. Re: where to stay on kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 05:18