We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do before redeye

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
things to do before redeye

We check out of Westin Princeville Villas tomorrow. We have had a great stay. Beautiful weather. Except for this afternoon, there was quite a bit of rain. We are thinking of checking out early and heading to Waimea Canyon. Can we get that done in 4 or 5 hours and then head for a beach to chill and then a nice dinner before the airport at 8 to turn in car? Any suggestions? What time should we leave Princeville? We have to be out by 10 am but I have heard it is good to get up to the Canyon for a good view. Any ideas would be appreciated. Who knew 9 days could go so fast.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,847 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,757 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do before redeye

What time was there quite a bit of rain? Did I miss something? It did rain around 5:30 as I was leaving for Kapaa from Princeville, but other than that it was a gorgeous day and the week has been unreal.

Anyway, it is always a good idea to leave early for the canyon to avoid the cloud cover. By early I mean leave Princeville by 7AM. You would have plenty of time to visit Glass Beach perhaps, Poipu Beach and have an early dinner. Dukes is always high on my list for dinner before the airport.

The problem I have with including a "chill" at the beach, is freshing up before getting on the airplane. There's is nothing worse to me than sand all over me when I am going to sit on a plane for hours.

You also might consider a visit to the Kauai Museum to see the exhibit of quilts if the beach doesn't sound good.

9 days certainly does fly by. Hurry back.

Mentioned in this post
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Glass Beach
Glass Beach
407 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,921 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai Museum
Kauai Museum
499 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
307 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do before redeye

We finish every trip with a final sunset at Poipu Beach. We use the outdoor showers and then cleanup and change in their facilities. Dinner is either Keoki's (on the bar side if they have entertainment) or Dukes. A couple of Mai Tais make you nice and sleepy for the flight.

I hope you enjoyed your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
3,921 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,077 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do before redeye

The last thing we do before grabbing the red eye is usually eat at Duke's at the Marriott Lihue.

It is a long, long drive to Waimea, but doable.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do before redeye

Ditto with what Scott said. When the sons and their families come with me we do the same thing...... last night dinner at Keoki's at Kalapaki. The grandkids might even go for a swim and we use the outdoor showers to clean 'em up for dinner and the flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Kalapaki Beach
Kalapaki Beach
764 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do before redeye

Thanks for the input. We didn't leave the Westin Villas in Princeville until almost 9. We were a little worried we left too late. However, we stopped for gas, got up to the Canyon and the main lookout and checked it out and then were at Shrimp Station by 12:30. I got a bit carsick so I was not into going all the way to the end. The Canyon was clear and I saw enough for me. We headed over to the Marriot and hung at the beach, cleaned up in the bathroom at their pool and then went to Dukes for dinner. It was a great last day.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Shrimp Station
Shrimp Station
1,024 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: things to do before redeye

Delta almost messed me up. I turned in the rental car and planned to check the bags, then take a cab to Duke's. Turns out the counter was shut down and unoccupied until 3 hours before the flight. I had to hang around 45 minutes waiting for them open to check my bags and then head down hill. It pinched our time for dinner unexpectedly.

Probably best to eat and get to the airport early enough turn in the car and check baggage.

Your schedule may be different.

7. Re: things to do before redeye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 06:18