We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Aloha,

Warning – this is long!!! We were on island for two weeks, from Oct 13 – Oct 27 – I’ll post as a series of replies by subject.

About us:

Late fifties couple married 36 years. My hubby’s name is Skip though he now has a new nickname – Kolohe (more on that later). This was our 5th trip in as many years to Kauai. We bring our own fishing gear for shore fishing, travel on a tight budget and are pretty low maintenance. We split our stay between South and North and have stayed in the same little guesthouse in Kalaheo and apt in Kilauea the past 4 years. This trip was a bit different.

Due to economic challenges, we did not think we’d be able to make a trip this year, THEN, non-stop airfare got cheap, $404.00 each R/T on Delta – LAX-LIH. $16.00 a day from Alamo w/extra driver no charge, plus $40.00 off for 2 weeks, but we needed to come in October for these discounts. We’ve always come in September, usually by Labor Day. Our guesthouse in Kalaheo was available, but where we usually stay in Kilauea was not, so jebett came to the rescue, she offered her suite condo 4221 at Hanalei Bay Resort for a great rate for 4 fill-in nights before she arrived on the 18th. That left our arrival night of the 13th to find a place to stay. Kauai Sands fit the bill and was actually cheaper to fly on Wednesday and stay at the Sands than flying on a Thursday!

Flights:

Delta non-stop, LAX-LIH, $404.00 total each R/T – both flights departed on-time 1:55 pm to LIH & 8:35pm (redeye) to LAX Both arrived early due to a tail-wind. These are 757 aircraft which is the 3-3 seat configuration. It’s like being in a long tooth-paste tube. Both ways we had the individual seat back entertainment screen with free movies, TV and games. Flight going to LIH was FULL. We had a window and middle seat with a nice guy about our age in the aisle seat. We had a pillow and blanket both ways. Flight going to LAX was not full so we had the 3 seats to ourselves. I was able to lay down (sorta) and sleep (sorta). We took a carry-on each at max permitted size (22x14x9) and me a BIG purse for travel pillows, snacks, sweatshirt jacket and book. The overhead bins are larger on these 757’s than on Delta’s wide body 767. No problems with stowing bags for anyone. $23.00 checked bag fee for the hard-sided golf bag (holds the fishing gear) if you pay on-line when you check in or $25.00 at the airport. Someday when I’m rich and famous – we’ll go 1st class!

Car Rental:

Alamo – I rented directly. Had a great rate of $16.00 a day. Arriving later in the day (5:00 pm), we got a nice upgraded car (cheap ones were gone). A sliver Chevy Malibu. Clean and nice. Skip really liked the car. I have a friend at Alamo who gave me flowers and a gift bag on arrival, but no preferential treatment (well maybe hugs, do they count?)

3Chihuahuas

Kauai Sporting Clays
Sports Camps & Clinics, Shooting Ranges
Kauai Mini Golf
Game & Entertainment Centres
LightWave Pottery
Art Galleries, Paint & Pottery Studios
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Accommodations:

Oct 13 – Kauai Sands. This is an old hotel on Papaloa Rd in Kapaa next to the Coconut Marketplace (2 minute walk). Travelocity gives it 2 stars and booking through their site, the rate with tax for one night was $56.94. Don’t expect the Hyatt and you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Yes, it old and funky, but so are we! There’s four two-story buildings with a HUGE lawn area going down to the shore. There’s quite a few chairs down at the shoreline under the ironwood trees. This shoreline has great fishing too as there’s a channel that runs just off-shore (part of the reason I booked the Kauai Sands). Hubby was up at 2:00am and off to Safeway (open 24 hours & a 5 minute drive) for squid (bait). He’d caught 5 fish by 4:00am when he woke me up with a fish story. We release anything caught unless someone nearby wants it.

We had room 125 in the Lei Building. No complaints except the bed was rock hard with very thin sheets. The room had fairly fresh paint, newer bedspread, carpet and new bright blue tile at the entry and entry from the lanai sliding glass door. The lanai was carpeted with 2 chairs and a small table. Our view was a vine covered fence at the side of the Lae Nani condos. Very small 20 inch TV in a pretty funky cabinet. Dresser was pretty dilapidated. Tiny bathroom with tub & shower. Small fridge. Wall A/C worked fine and was not too noisy. Room was very clean. All the staff were so friendly, especially the maids – tons of Aloha here.

Kauai Sands room 125 (the flowers were a gift from a friend at Alamo):

…google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/…

Sunrise at Kauai Sands and fishing:

Oct 14-18 - Hanalei Bay Resort 4221. Wow, wow, wow. What a treat for us with that killer Bali Hai view!!! Just opening the front door and you get the view! 4221 is a large suite with the most comfortable king bed and yes, even laying in bed you get the view!!! Gorgeous furnishings. Flat screen TV, small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, toaster, blender and a closet full of beach goodies like snorkels, boogie boards, binoculars – under the bed are beach chairs. HBR grounds are so beautiful too and the big pool and the Jacuzzi with the sand bottom and waterfalls…holy cow…they light the Tiki torches at night – the pool is open till 9:00 pm. Take my word for it – stay at least for a few nights at HBR – it is so worth it.

I forgot the camera every time I went to the pool. There’s also a small round tiled pool near 4221 and I have a strange story about it. We woke up about 5:00 am on our last morning at HBR. Clear dark sky with tons of stars, so we walked over to the small pool, plopped down on the loungers to watch the stars. The pool is lighted and I noticed something on the surface – it was a small frog maybe 2 inches with it’s legs out-spread. I figured it had accidentally fallen in, but then it swam to the bottom and then floated up. It was close enough to the side that I was able to swoop it up and out. Two seconds later, it hops back in the pool – evidently it has become very chlorine resistant/tolerant – weird…..

HBR 4221:

HBR 4221 sunset from the lanai:

Oct 18 – 27 – Guesthouse Kauai, http://www.vrbo.com/31236

This was our 5th stay here and it’s like coming home. The guesthouse has two sides like a duplex. It’s on over an acre of land up “the valley”. Mauka (mountain side) of the hwy just before Kalaheo. Very green, very jungle like and very magical – I’m not crazy, but there is a real something very calming, soothing there. Mollie is the owner and lives on the property too. We hit it off like family 5 years ago and I can’t imagine not staying for at least a few days. We’ve stayed at both sides, but I have a real fondness for the “left” side. Full kitchen, new flat screen TV, new couch, French doors looking out to the lawn, queen bed (another door out to the back lawn), nice sized bathroom with shower only, shared full size washer & dryer. Mollie has beach chairs, coolers, etc. She has also won a red ribbon for her quilt at the fair. She made the quilt on the bed (not a ribbon winner). I love it here!

Guesthouse Kauai left side:

I’ve had an on-going list of new things to do, see or eat – this year it became the bucket list. If our economic situation does not improve, we won’t get back anytime soon, so we checked off a bunch on the bucket list!

3Chihuahuas

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Food – some of these were new and some were old favorites. We’re not foodies by any means, so my star rating of 0-5 is based on value, service and if it tastes good!

TC’s Island Grill (new) – this was our first meal on arrival and ended up being our last meal before driving to the airport – needless to say, we really enjoyed the food. TC’s is in the Coconut Marketplace, just a 2 minute walk from Kauai Sands. Both meals I had the Fried Ono sandwich with salad. So good. The fish was fried perfect and not a bit greasy. The salad is so fresh with lettuce, romaine, carrots, tomatoes and sprouts. Try the Papaya Seed dressing – terrific to the point I had to buy some in the grocery store! Skip is a meat & potatoes guy (or burger & fries) so he had the Na Ka Oi Burger/fries on arrival and the Kama`aina Burger w/fries on departure. The fries are steak-cut – really good. Same waitress (only one) and cook both times. Outside covered dining only. BYOB if you want. Nice, friendly people. I hope they can continue as Coconut Marketplace is sorta sad. Many closed shops and not too many people around. You can tell tourist dollars have not been what they were. Less than $20.00 for both of us and we walked (waddled) out stuffed! 5 stars

Menu:

urbanspoon.com/r/…Tcs-Island-Grill-Kapaa

Kountry Kitchen (new) – at the far north end of Kapaa on the mauka side of the hwy. Cute, small and kitchy with tons of stuff on the walls and shelves. It did not feel “Hawaiian” at all, but I guess from the name, it’s not supposed to. Parking in front can be a real pain so park across the street. We were there on a Thursday morning about 10:30 and we were lucky to get a table before the rush (folks were piled up outside waiting). Good service great waitresses. It did take a longgggg time for the food to arrive, but we’re familiar with “Island Time”. Skip had the eggs with Portugese sausage and hashbrowns. The hashbrowns were hashblacks on one side. I thought he would say something, but didn’t want to since they were so busy – he picked the edible parts off. I had 2 mac nut pancakes – BIG mistake – should of ordered only one since they cover the plate and are heavy – way too heavy. Syrup choices are coconut or maple cold on the table. Coconut is real thin. $28.00 with 2 coffees and 1 apple juice. 3 stars

It was here that Skip was given his “Hawaiian” name by a wise-cracking waitress, she even wrote it down so he would not forget it – Kolohe. It translates to rascal….so from now on, I’ll refer to my hubby as Kolohe……

North Shore Grindz – old favorite – located inside the Chevron gas station in Princeville. The café grill does not open till either 8 or 9:00 am, but there’s always fresh made breakfast burritos available at 6:30 am. $4.99 with either sausage or bacon and eggs. We had the burritos 2 mornings before driving up to Ha`ena for some early morning fishing. They now have some covered tables out front. Good, but not great. 4 stars

Anahola Farmers Market – old favorite – On Hokualele Rd, mauka of the hwy in Anahola. Look for the smoke. Saturdays and Sundays you’ll find Reggie cooking pig and Huli Huli chicken on the grill. $10.00 for a plate with pig or chicken, roasted red potatoes and corn on the cob. YUM!!!! Come hungry or split a plate. His BBQ sauce is absolute killer! There’s a few vendors too selling fruit, flowers, jewelry, lei. Audrey is the lei lady – so beautiful and strung on cotton thread (no fish line). If you need a special lei you can order one. She’s also at the Kapaa market on Wednesdays. 5 stars

Until recently, there was a lady selling cheesecake too, there had been reports on TA it was sooooooo good – evidently there was some problem with the lack of refrigeration, so she’s not selling cheesecake anymore – bummer….

Olympic Café (new) – it was not on the bucket list, but we ended up here for a late breakfast – good choice. Downtown Kapaa, upstairs with open air dining & bar, makai (ocean) side of the hwy across from the big ABC store. You can see ocean too. I had the Hawaiian Sweet Bread French Toast and Kolohe had Kim’s Scramble (eggs, Portuguese sausage?, cheese, bell pepper, tomatoes, onions, tarragon) and hashbrowns (cooked perfect). 2 coffees, 1 orange juice and the cutest little waitress Kolohe could not keep his eyes off of (when he thought I wasn’t looking – I told him if he could catch her, go for it, hehehehehehe)……$25.00 4.5 stars

We also spent about an hour at the bar on our last day on Kauai watching the end of the World Series – Draft Bud Light $2.00 and a glass of White Zin $3.75!

da Imu Hut – old favorite – on the hwy in Hanapepe across from Wongs. No ambiance or A/C, but this has to be some of the best local food on island. We usually get food to go and take it to Salt Pond (5 minute drive) for sunset. Their teriyaki sauce is really, really good.

Every Tuesday there is a group of folks who meet out at Salt Pond by the airstrip just to watch the sunset and talk story. Not always the same people, one guy comes down from Hanalei sometimes. Mollie (our hostess) always goes and we go too. For $13.00 the 3 of us each have a teriyaki Chicken Stick and scoop rice or mac salad and 2 sweet teas. Can’t get much better than that!

5 stars

Mele’s Kusina (new) – this is a food truck in Hanapepe. She has a real varied menu and is just a sweetheart lady. I had the Mele’s Shrimp plate. Lots of garlic! You need to peel the shrimp so it’s pretty messy served with rice and edamame (soybeans in the pod). Very good. Kolohe had the Hamburger Plate with rice and corn on the cob(?) Good gravy! Very inexpensive and a ton of food. Kolohe went to the nearby liquor store for a beer and got me a Yoo Hoo (haven’t had one in years), yep – chocolate and shrimp – what a combo!!! 4 stars urbanspoon.com/r/…Meles-Kusina-Hanapepe

Hyatt Seaview Terrace for torchlighting ceremony – old favorite in Poipu. We go at least once every visit. Our own koloagirl (Janet) narrates the ceremony (a throwback to the original at the Coco Palms). On Tues, Friday and Sat at 6:30pm. Free. The view at Seaview Terrace is really something as is the entire property and yes, you can walk around the grounds even if you’re not staying there. We met kimocat & DH for drinks. I always have a lavaflow and Kolohe had 2 Bud Lights - $18.75 Some of the photos are a bit dark or blurry:

picasaweb.google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/Hyatt02#

Kalapaki Joes in Poipu (new) – We went with kimocat & DH after the torchlighting. Dining is inside, but with huge open windows (no screens). Bugs kept flying in. We had a brand new waiter and must have drove him nuts – all of us had questions or requests on the menu……anyway, it all turned out fine. I had the Chicken Caesar Salad and Kolohe had the Patty Melt. Food was good, but nothing to go out of the way for.

http://kalapakijoes.com/index.php

As we were leaving, we noticed a poster for a pay-per-view MMA event – Brock Lesner vs. Cain Velasquez the next day. Kolohe is a big Brock Lesner fan so we asked the hostess about it. She said the fight would be on at 4:00pm, but come in by 3:00 for a table. Well, that is exactly what we did. Plenty of empty tables at 3:00 pm, however because it is a “fight day”, no Happy Hour. Had a nice waitress, ordered our food and a couple of beers. At 3:40 the waitress tells us that unless we have reservations, we’ll need to vacate the table. WHAT THE?????? We’re welcome to stand if we can a find place, but no reservations are left!!! Why weren’t we told this when we sat down????? The couple next to us were also 86’d. We left without a scene, but it was hard. If the last place on Earth for food is Kalapaki Joe’s, I’ll starve……. 0 stars

Yumi’s in Waimea (new) – This place has been on my list to try for 3 years. I’ve heard about these turnover pies (shaped like a calzone) filled with either coconut or apple. They keep fairly short morning hours and have always been closed when we came by (early for fishing). Finally, they are open! Tiny place by the Waimea Theater on the hwy. Someone bought out all of the pies to take to Honolulu….booooooooo. A couple of days later, we came by again on our way to Polihale. There’s no place to park on their side, so we turn around and park across the road. A car stops for us to cross the road so I hurry ….the pavement is raised a bit where the double yellow line is, I trip and fall smack down across the line, spread eagle. Good Lord that hurt my knees and my right elbow….I’m nearly in tears, Kolohe helps me back to the car and I’m so mad at myself – what if I can’t walk for the next few days???? We still have 8 days left!!! Kolohe leaves me in the car and comes back with a coconut pie – I had to eat is later when the pain subsided….and thankfully, all I had were bruises – and the pie is terrific!! I think the pies are $3.50. 4.5 stars

Hanalima Baking (new) in Puhi. I’d remembered seeing the building, but always thought is was not open to the public – Boy was I wrong. They’re open 6:am to 2:00 pm (1:30pm on Sat, closed Sun.). Large selection of baked goods and a grill. Spent $17.00 and ended up with:

Crab roll - $2.00 – not much crab, but very good for what it is, great bread

Portuguese Sausage Roll - $2.00 – same as above

Lilikoi Scone - $2.50 – sorta like dry cake, could not taste the Lilikoi drizzle

Malasadas – 3 for $1.00, got 6 – barely warm, very good, not quite as greasy as the K-Mart lady’s – I think if they had of been HOT, they’d have been just as good.

X-tra Special Cookies (box) $3.75, oatmeal, choco chip, mac nut – very good

Mini Loco Moco - $4.50 – BIG tasty hamburger patty (Kolohe said much better than Mele’s Kusina patty), rich brown gravy – the mini filled him up! 4.5 stars

http://hanalimabaking.com/

Kauai Pasta Lihue (new) – we went with the shantybobs for lunch after touring the Hindu Temple (more on that later). Who knows why I wanted Italian on Kauai, but I did. They have two locations (Lihue & Kapaa), but Lihue seems to get better reviews. Pretty small inside, nice waitress. I had the Greek Pasta and Kolohe had the House Pasta (can’t remember what the shanty’s had) hearty portions, I got doggy bag and promptly left it on the table – we all had a glass of wine too. Food was very good, but I do think a bit expensive. I have now found a new wine to go nuts over: Dr Loosen “Dr. L” Reisling – I could have drank a bottle by myself! http://kauaipasta.com/

3.5 stars

Marks Place (sorta new) – We’d been to Mark’s Place in the Lawai (now closed) location. First time to Puhi location. It’s in an industrial part of town, down Puhi Rd off the hwy to Haleukana St (make a right) – it’s a blue building. There’s a sign at Haleukana & Puhi Rd. Take out only with a few tables out front – holy cow is it HOT inside! I had a mini Chicken Katsu (best Katsu sauce on island) and Kolohe had the day’s special – Popcorn Chicken in Country Gravy – really, really good food, however I do miss the Lawai location. They had whole pies (Mark’s does catering too) – Lilikoi Cheesecake to die for – the Puhi location has only slices (we missed the cheesecake a few days earlier) 5 stars

Grinds Café in ' Ele'ele - old favorite – We go at least once for breakfast – they make killer skillets, especially the Farmer’s Skillet (potatoes, sausage, eggs, onions, bell peppers and a gravy to die for) It will feed two hungry people so I just order wheat toast – their bread is homemade, sliced nearly 1 inch thick. We love this place for breakfast only (lunch was just so-so) and have always gotten great service. They also sell some of their baked goods. http://www.grindscafe.net/ 5 stars

Shivalik Indian Cuisine (new) – talk about a story! We had a TA picnic at Lydgate on Monday, 10/25, 4:00 pm (more about that later), a lady shows up carrying bags and asks if this is the TA group, - Yes, well, she introduces herself, Pam and she’s from Shivalik Indian Restaurant and she’s brought us food! She follows the forum, knew about the picnic – turns out she’s a marketing consultant (and insurance agent), TOO COOL - well she just joined in on the party – the food she brought was wonderful, so much that Kolohe decides we going to try the lunch buffet – hey we’ve never eaten Indian food EVER, so for him wanting to try this, the food he sampled was impressive – remember, he’s a meat & potatoes type guy who won’t eat anything with ingredients he can’t readily identify!

It’s over by Foodland in Waipouli Town Center (where the Lizard Lounge was). We tried everything offered on the lunch buffet (all you can eat) – it was all labeled as to what is was – a couple of types of chicken, one was in a cashew sauce and the others were veggies – some of it was HOT, not when you first ate it, but like 5 minutes later the back of my tongue was on fire. Nice man who seems to run the restaurant, we’d told him about Pam, he brought us the samosas (SP) we’d had the night before (no charge). This was so much fun and the food was terrific to us. Then Pam herself came in with insurance clients, so nice to see her again! He’s not been in business for very long and there were only a couple of tables occupied, I do hope he makes it - Please give this place a try! $33.75 for 2 lunch buffets and 1 beer. 5 stars

http://www.shivalikindiancuisine.com/

urbanspoon.com/r/37/1537413/restaurant/Hawai…

Kauai Cookie (new) located at the back of building da Imu Hut is in, Hanapepe. Watch out for the fork lifts coming out of the side door. We got a Mac Nut Granola bar, Chocolate Mint cookies (5) and Mango(6) cookies – almost $8.00 – the cookies are nothing to write home about IMHO – I thought they’d be chewy, but just crunchy cookies like Nabisco or Keebler…..3 stars

Wong’s (and attached bakery) in Hanapepe – old favorite for Lilikoi Chiffon Pie. Whole pie fresh or frozen, $14.00 – they have other pies too. This is some good stuff. I promised to bring one to the picnic as did Kauai48 – BIG HIT!!!! You can get just a slice too, but having a whole pie is much better….5 stars

Ono Family Restaurant (new) in Kapaa. Another place I’d wanted to try for breakfast for several years – Why did we never eat here before???: OMG – they have the BEST breakfast! We went twice. Thanks to kimocat for the tip about the corned beef hash!!! Kolohe had eggs with corned beef hash, hollandaise sauce and hashbrowns, I had a fresh spinach and mushroom omelet with hollandaise and hashbrowns. Next time Kolohe had a corned beef omelet with hollandaise, English muffin and papaya. I had their special of fresh strawberry pancakes. They serve syrup HOT, either maple or coconut with shredded coconut in it – way too good! I can’t say enough good things about the food and the staff. Kolohe was rubbing his tummy and groaning (like from hunger), the hostess walks by and says “What, you in labor?” and just keeps walking - it shut him up fast…it was hilarious!

5 plus stars

urbanspoon.com/r/…Ono-Family-Restaurant-Kapaa

Food pics:

picasaweb.google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/Food#

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Aloha "Koloke" Skip and Dorcee!

Miss you guys already - wish we could've spent more "quality time" together.....the TA potluck was good fun, but the weather and everything made it kind of difficult to concentrate since I was forever pulling my hair out of my mouth after it blew in - and I am stubborn about pulling it back - I hate the way I look that way and will go to any length to avoid it! Including looking like I did! Next time let's plan ahead (ha!) and try to get together for some talk story time at Salt Pond or something. I felt really bad about the Hyatt, you actually had told me in a PM you guys were coming - I just blanked out about it and forgot to write it in my day planner - so that was my fault and I just wish I could have sat down and enjoyed your company instead of having to rush out the door! Just a little trivia for you - the dancer that night? That is Ariel, my best friend Leilani's youngest daughter - makes me feel so makule (old) when I think of her sleeping in my lap as a toddler - she's no toddler now, that's for sure!! I'm sorry that Leilani was AWOL that night as well for you guys - no offense to my hula sister Joy - who did a great job chanting for her (a former Miss Kaua'i Filipina no less - I call her "Joy to the World!).

I love your pictures - isn't HBR 4221 awesome??? I love to lay in bed there and watch the lights of the cars as they go around Hanalei Bay at night - I always hate actually falling asleep there as it is so gorgeous - even in the dark!

And that is one curious poloka (frog) over in the near pool to 4221 - I can't imagine one surviving in chlorinated water - too weird, no?? Anyway, wonderful pictures - especially of "Kolohe" enjoying his couch (it was HIS couch apparently, right?).

I also like Kaua'i Sands - heck, it is inexpensive, has a killer location and the grounds are lovely as well - it isn't luxurious by any means, but we've stayed at their "sister" properties on Maui and the Big Island and they are very similar - the beds are nothing to get excited about, that's for sure, but I sleep like the dead anyway, so no worries there! Glad you enjoyed it - you always hear such humbug from some people who stay there. And you are right, the people who work there get plenty aloha! The place is for sale apparently - so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

No wonder you like that guest house in Kalaheo - looks fabulous! I was thinking of you two as I drove up Koloa Rd. to Kalaheo this morning actually (garage sales!).....I don't know exactly where the place is located off Koloa Road, or is it in Kalaheo proper? Anyway, I too would find that a "home away from home" if I were you also and love it!

You guys and I seem to have pretty simpatico tastes....I'm no "foodie" and just enjoy 99.999% of what I eat when I eat out.....I enjoy the simple things like sunset at Salt Pond Park (someone actually drive from HANALEI to watch the sunsets??? Yikes and double yikes to that!).......and the places you stay at are along my tastes as well - so you know you HAVE to come back.....I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you both to make it back here very soon!

Great Trip Report - mahalo for putting it together so well and all the pictures too!

Honi's and Hugz...

Malama Pono,

Janet

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,683 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

LOVING IT!!! So what kind of fish do you catch?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Activities:

Koloa Rum tasting at Kilohana Plantation (new). We must have driven past 6 or 8 times before we finally stopped. Tasting was in 10 minutes so we poked around in the gift shop – Wow, some pretty expensive “gifts”. I was hoping for a sample of the Koloa Rum Cake, but no (we did have it later at the picnic – thank you jebett, tasty stuff!) So we file into the bar for tasting and get ID’d – Yes!!!! That just makes my day! You get one ounce of rum (2 kinds, so ½ oz each), plus all the Mai Tai mix you want – all in separate little plastic glasses. NO SHARING. We had the white and dark (they also have a gold). We’re not huge rum drinkers, but I do like a nice dark rum for a Pina Colads, Mai Tai or Margarita. Whew…their white rum tasted like lighter fluid, very harsh….the dark was a lot better, but like I said, we’re not connoisseurs. Bacardi or Ron Rico tastes the same to me. At $30.00 a bottle, I can’t see what is so special about it. They did tell us that they bought up 3 years supply of Kauai grown sugar cane sugar (Gay & Robinson Sugar closed as no more being grown on Kauai, last year) and will continue to find small growers of Hawaiian sugar for future production. I also saw their rum in the local grocery stores. I hope they can continue in business, but I really don’t see how.

Kamokila Hawaiian Village (new). Located off Kuamo`o Rd beside the Wailua River near 'Opaeka'a Falls. This is a re-creation of an authentic Hawaiian village – they also do kayak rentals and canoe rides. My DIL’s best friend is related to the family who runs this – really small world. It’s only $5.00 per person and you just wander around. Nice easy enjoyable way to spend some time, but it’s not a must do. I wish they had more signs identifying some of the plants and trees though.

Photos:

Drive out to Polihale (new). The road out has always worried me as it was either closed or real rutted and muddy every time we checked it. It’s a marked dirt road near the end of the hwy. Well, the road has been graded and is now in good shape nearly all the way out (thank you to shanybob for the info!) This beach is the furthest West you can get by car and the start (or end) of the Napali coast. Very dry and hot. I’m glad we finally got out to it, but in all honesty, I don’t think it’s all that great – It’s very similar to beaches I’m used to here in So Cal. Wide with no shade. It’s real pretty, but I don’t need to go again.

Photos:

…google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/Polihale#

Ho’olaule`a, the Kalo (Taro) Festival in Waipa just past Hanalei. I believe this is an annual event. This year it was on Sat, Oct 16th. For a $3.00 entry per person (you could come & go all day, which we did, twice) there was all kinds of food, crafts and good live music. We had kalo chocolate chip cupcakes and kalo cheesecake – yes it was good! Sat around listening to music in the shade and came across a couple we’d met on our Delta flight – again small world!. Uncle Charlie Pereira who still hand knots (fishing) throw nets was there too, sitting in the shade making a net. He remembers my hubby from years past sitting and talking story with him at the Anahola Market every year.

Hindu Temple tour – we did this last year. It’s a free guided tour (donations happily accepted) usually every Wednesday at 9:00 am, but you must call first and get a parking reservation. The temple is being hand built and carved – absolutely amazing. They have 300 acres, most all of it landscaped. Gorgeous plants, trees, flowers, ponds…..The tour lasts about 90 minutes and you don’t need to be Hindu to appreciate it. Well worth the time. We met the shantybobs at Lydgate and drove up together. This was their first time for the tour and they really enjoyed it!

Photos:

Koa Wood Store and Kapaia Stitchery (new) – both stores are quite close to each other on the hwy near Lihue. Take the time to visit each store, even if you’re not into wood crafts (hubby is, big time) or quilts, the stores have such cool things to look at. Even my macho hubby liked looking at the quilts and fabrics! They had a really neat koa wood fish hook necklace (like the one I wear), something told me I needed to send it to my grandson, so I will! $18.00 and it’s cool (I do hope he’ll wear it)

http://www.thekoastore.com/

www.yelp.com/biz/kapaia-stitchery-lihue

Two Frogs Hugging on the hwy in Lihue (new) – I’ve always wanted to go in here. It’s furniture, accessories, rugs, etc – most from Indonesia, wow, they have some neat stuff, expensive, but neat! It’s also the store with the two BIG wood chairs out front. Kolohe has always wanted to sit in one….I married a nut! So we go in and look around and finally find a lady working. He tells her he’d like to sit in the chair for a photo – I figure she’ll say “No way” – Ha! She tells him if he can climb up, fine, just don’t sue her if he falls out.

Photos:

Waimea Canyon and Kokee – old favorite - we drove up on our last day as we had an 8:30 pm red eye flight home. We did not get to the Kalalau lookout till about noon. I figured it would be totally clouded in – nope…it cleared with absolutely no wind for about 5 minutes.

Photos:

…google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/WaimeaCanyon#

Hawaiian Trading Post – old favorite – it’s in Lawai at the corner of the hwy and Koloa Rd. A little of everything including a very large jewelry area with museum quality (show piece only & for sale) Ni`hau Lei. Times are hard and most of their jewelry is marked down. I got Xmas gifts for 2 DIL’s and 2 good friends. Long strands of amethyst crystal, red coral and fresh water pearls and a black (dyed) fresh water pearl anklet. A very fun place to spend some time. Take a photo surfing too!

Photos:

Walk around old Kapa`a Town. Since we had the red eye flight, we still had time after Waimea Canyon – there’s some cute shops here. Tucked into the back part of the dragon building on Kukui St (near the big ABC store) is the Earth and Sea Gallery – what a cool store! Just lots of unusual items, some Kauai made. She has teak (wood) puzzle boxes in 3 levels of difficulty – we got 3 ($48.75 for the 3) of the hardest for the two grown sons and the grandson who is in his first year at MIT – lets see just how smart he is!!!!!

The TA picnic at Lydgate! I’ve already posted photos on the existing thread. If you get a chance to meet others from the forums – go for it! I feel like I’ve got family everywhere! Wayyyyyy toooo much fun!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k40162…

Kauai Harley Davidson – old favorite, we stop every year. Our hostess Mollie in Kalaheo, well last year her 21 year old grandson was visiting, he’d completed a course in motorcycle repair – they offered him a job – so now besides just stopping to see the bikes, we have to see Woody. Here’s a new addition:

Photos:

…google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/KauaiHarley#

Sunset at Salt Pond – old favorite – the night before we left, we had the most spectacular rainbow I’d ever seen, and then later, gorgeous sunset. No green flash though.

Photos:

The road to Polihale is NOT quite the end of the hwy – it goes up by a Navy bunker and Magazine Area, no not the type you read, but like ammunition. First time back that far.

Photos:

I love the area near the Keahua Arboretum. In past years there have been wild orchids blooming. Not this year though, conditions are just so dry. Driving past the steam crossing on Kuamo'o Road this time was no problem. We went up a long, long way before turning around.

Photos:

Fishing that first night was the best it was to be. Full moon and some rough surf conditions – he only caught a couple more fish. I only fished once at Anahola, had bites, but could not get anything in.

I did not get in as much swimming as I’d of liked (some rough conditions), but Lydgate, Anahola, HBR/St Regis, Kalihiwai and Anini were great. Waded around in Salt Pond and some others.

Kauai seems to be in some drought conditions. It was very dry with no rain until the last two days. Dry enough to have static electricity in my hair…very strange. I’m not sure if it was because of so little rain or just later than we usually come, but there were far less flowers. Lots of dry grass. Streams had way less water or none at all.

I’ll try to wrap this up shortly, but there’s still a little bit to go!

3Chihuahuas

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,343 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

I hope you told Kolohe that the waitress at Olympic Cafe was catch and release only. :-D

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

If you can’t already tell, we’re in love with Kauai – the people, the slower lifestyle, the sheer beauty…nothing can compare….so often I see posts asking if a week or 10 days is too long to spend on Kauai…good grief, two weeks is not near long enough – we could happily spend the rest of our lives, or at least three weeks. For a small island, there is so much to see, do, eat and just chill out somewhere…..

The bucket list still has some things on it, so I’ll keep good thoughts that we’ll return soon to our beloved Kauai…..

Here’s some misc photos:

…google.com/3ChihuahuasMama/Misc2010Photos#

Aloha,

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Don't worry about being a "spectacle" by sitting in those big chairs in front of Two Frogs Hugging -- about half the time I drive by there, there is someone sitting having their picture taken - most residents are used to seeing it, so don't feel bad!

I love Polihale and find it a really special place with the Na Pali cliffs looming over that huge expanse of sand and the ocean with Ni'ihau in the distance - but I guess we can't agree about everything - darn! lol

I'm with you on that Rum Cake - I'm not a big enough "splurger" to buy it on my own here (especially since my hubby wouldn't eat it - which would then leave it all to me - not a good thing!!) --- but I certainly enjoyed it and appreciated "Jebett" bringing it to the TA potluck - it was really ono!

I also love the fact that Skip "Kolohe" does the catch and release thing - I think that is great - and also great that if there is someone fishing nearby you guys give your catch to them - such a "Kaua'i" thing to do - real local style!

And if I didn't say it enough at the potluck - congratulations on your quitting the nicotine habit!! I'm so happy for you that you were able to do that - good for you girl!

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

Janet, no worries.... I forgot the pickled Kokee plums...I was going to bring them to the picnic - we'd met a cool guy from Hanapepe, spent time fishing with him - his SIL had pickled the plums...interesting to say the least...he said they're real good with fish & rice....but - we're at that age of forgetting things, eh? Mahalo, tomorrow, yep Halloween, is my one year anniversary of being not only smoke free but cancer free!

Mollie's place is mauka of the Hwy on Wawae Rd - quick 1st right after Koloa Rd (if coming from Lihue). First house with green roof on the left, second driveway is the guesthouse. You met her last year, we brought her with us to torchlighting (when I brought the salt).

mamma, we've probably caught 25 or more different types of fish. All are reef fish - the most fun are Papio, jacks or trevally under 10 pounds - (over 10 pounds are called Ulua, we've not caught anything that big). They are strong, fast moving preditors - they hit hard and take off - very fun to reel in. The biggest was about 4 pounds and I caught it at Kahili a few years ago.

pzp, I about fell outta my chair laughling....she didn't even nibble.......

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 31 October 2010, 01:12
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,170 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR - fishing, eating, sightseeing & a bucket list!

So jealous you got your report written and posted and we are still trying to get it together O f course we are two time zones away. Thanks for the report and the pictures and "changing names to protect the innocent."