We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Lytle, TX
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking around here ever since we began planning our 10th anniversary trip, and now it is just around the corner, and I'm getting nervous and excited!

I'd like to share my rough plan and get any advice or input you experts have to offer, so here goes...

Wed. Nov. 10 - Arrive at 5:30 in Lihue. Pick up car and check in at Pali Ke Kua. Dinner somewhere.

Thur. Nov. 11 (our anniversary) - Hang out at Hideaways Beach, explore the Hanalei area. Dinner somewhere nice. I'm thinking about Hukalau Lanai - maybe the sample menu with the wines, but I'm open to other suggestions in the Hanalei/Princeville/Kapaa are

Fri. Nov. 12 - Rent bikes at Coconut Coasters and explore the Coconut Coast. Smith's Luau in the evening.

Sat. Nov. 13 - Farmer's Market in Hanalei, then rent some kayaks and kayak the Hanalei River

Sun. Nov. 14 - Head out early to Waimea Canyon and hike the Pihea Swamp Trail. (I'm thinking this will take pretty much all day, right) Catch some sites on our way back to Princeville. Maybe dinner at Mark's Place??

Mon. Nov. 15 - Hike the first 2 miles of Kalalau and probably up to the falls. Hang out at Kee.

Tues. Nov. 16 - Fly out of Lihue at 9:30. Note really sure about this day.

Thanks for looking. As you can see, this is just the major plans for the days. I'd appreciate any input on problems in my plan, or opportunities to add something in easily that we might miss. Also, maybe suggestions on where to pick up lunches to take on the hikes and kayak trips.

Thanks for much for all your help that I have already gleaned from these forums!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Looks pretty good to me - a good mix of planned activities as well as adequate time to just chill.

I really like the choice of the sample menu at Hukilau Lanai for your anniversary. We did that two years ago for our anniversary and really enjoyed the meal and the setting.

Hopefully weather and ocean conditions wil cooperate with your planned days on the north shore beaches - just be flexible with your schedule and adjust your beach time and location as needed.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Aloha, farramat....happy anniversary !

You have done an excellent job of planning, and doing the things that appeal to the both of you. And that is super !

Couple of tip and suggestions.....just small stuff but might be important.

Nov 13: kayaking the hanalei river is a great idea. We were just up, and wanted to let you know, in november, you might want to be sure and stay in the river.

We paddled hanalei bay as well as the river. We checked with kayak kauai about the ocean/bay conditions, and they said it was OK. It was OK if you are pretty good with your paddling technique.

The surf was up out on the break, with lots of surfers loving it, inside the bay as you head in or out of the river mouth there were some small swells but you could not get sideways to them or you would huli. we paddled hard and straight ahead.

We paddled a good part of the bay, and then kayak surfed the swells when returning to paddle up the river. By the time you arrive , the north shore swells could be higher and stronger......so food for thought.

Also, paddling up river, it is much easier near the lush banks, since the current is coming down river and has less momentum on the sides near the banks.

When coming back down river, we brought our our snacks, and stayed in the center of the river, where the flow is stronger. Hardly any paddling at all, just every once in a while.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov 14

Great fun day, but please be advised that Marks place, at least when we live across the road from there, is a small catering biz, with a small deli like shop...and there was one table out front of the building. Great and delicious food, that you can certainly pick up, and maybe drive to a beach park for an outdoor picnic.

Oh, you will be passing near poipu, and 4:45 to 5:45 Keokis Paradise in the poipu shopping village has a marvelous south seas ambiance, and a very reasonable and fun time SUNSET SPECIAL....for $ 19.95. Most visitors are not aware of it, but we go there often and love it.

You get tasty dark bread muffins, as well as white bread, a starter ( I like the kiluea greens , Erica like the crab cakes ) then the main entre has about 6 different selections, we like the petite filet and shrimp. For desert is hula pie, or chocolate mouse, and maybe one other choice.

If you do not wish to take the extra 8 minutes off the main hwy to drive into poipu, have one other suggestion. THIS IS OUR AFTER HIKING TREAT.

Should you be like us, you are gonna be HONGRY, and THIRSTY, and we are in the mood for sitting down, talking story, and getting fed and watered ( so to speak ).

On the drive back down the mountain, you will come to a very visible fork...straight ahead is waimea canyon road, which you probably drove up on your way to the trail head.

Instead of going straight, hang a right ( koke'e) road. It will take you down to the coastal road. Different views, including Niihau on a clear day.

Turn left on the Coastal road, and in about 5 minutes or so on the makai side, you will see a monster grove of coco palms...big one ! That is the WAIMEA PLANTATION COTTAGES........fun to walk thru as it is like a south seas island scene. Cocopalms, Banyan Trees, and old restored sugar cane cottages.

However, on the property is the WAIMEA BREWERY at the GROVE restaurant. Micro beers and most any libation, and for us good food.

We sit at the bar to talk story with the bartender and most often a visitor or local.

Extremely pleasant, and our drive is broken up up bit, and we are all relaxed for the rest of the drive.

Just a couple of tips and ideas, that may be of a little help.

Oh, one other idea on your hiking...do check out the wx situation, and take into consideration some slippery areas on the pihea trail. If i is wet, do watch your footing at the beginning of the trail.

You two will have a super marvelous anniversary, and we really enjoy seeing visitors who get out and explore the natural beauty of Kauai.

Malama ke aloha

Denny and Erica

Artesia, New Mexico
Level Contributor
206 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

For your anniversary dinner....you might consider the Kauai Grill at the St Regis. Very romantic (spectacular view of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai also) and the food is outstanding. You can make reservations on Open Table (recommended). As you are staying at PKK...this would be very close.

www.opentable.com/kauai-grill-st-regis-hawaii

Have a great trip...

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Looks lke a good plan to me. I like how you've group things geographically, you're not packing in all those expensive paid 'activities', and you're leaving time to just hang loose.

On your way back from Waimea Canyon you should make a stop at Hanapepe and check out the art shops there and maybe catch a swim at Salt Pond Beach nearby. Head into Poipu and maybe check out Spouting Horn and the kiosks there or try some snorkeling at Lawai Beach or Poiu Beach. Depending on what time is you could do dinner in Poipu. Lots to pick from there. Denny's suggestion of dinner back at Waimea Plantation Cottages is a good one too, depending on when you leave the canyon.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

You have lots of good ideas. Just a couple of suggestions -- since you are coming in from Texas, you will probably be tired and I know that dinner out is the last thing I want to do after all that travel time. There are a couple of good take out places right there at the Princeville Shopping center -- Federico's is Mexican and Tamarind is Thai, Chinese. The Foodland there also has a very good deli and you can chill out for awhile on your lanai because sinking into unconsciousness. And on the anniversary dinner, I'm a big fan of Hukilau Lanai and love their tasting menu. The Kauai Grill will have a much better view, but you will probably end up paying 2-3 times as much for your dinner.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Re Pihea Swamp trail. Winter has come early it seems. The last week or so we've begun to have a bit of rain. Nothing hard where we are, but there's a bit of mist and rain about today. Looks like it could be raining pretty hard up on the mountain. 2 weeks ago in our drought, this trail would have been a piece of cake. By Nov 10???

You should go to Kokee for sure, but might want to check the weather and try to pick a day with a favorable forecast. That trail really can be a muddy mess so consider a fallback option. Not to mention it's it's wet/overcast up there, you can't see much anyway.

Seattle
Level Contributor
127 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

We also will be on Kauai next week for our anniversary. It will be number 32 on the 11th also. We plan to go to hukilau for dinner as we went there a couple of years ago and it was great. Maybe we will see you there.

Happy Anniversary

Do you realize that next year you will be married 11 years on 11/11/11. Ours will be 33.

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

farramat,

Regarding Pihea trail, take a look at the great advice Kauahiker gave me.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k40039…

We're coming in December and may have to consider other trails if Pihea looks wet.

Sthdakota

Lytle, TX
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

Thanks so much for all the quick replies!! I will take some time to think about them all and incorporate them into our plans. Thanks for the heads up about the Pihea Trail. We will definitely keep an eye on the weather.

Thanks for the wonder details kalapakidooley!

Janie - how cool that we share an anniversary! Maybe we will see you there! I'm looking forward to the 11th on 11/11/11. :)

Are there any other hiking options we might want to consider in the canyon if it gets mucky, or should we just forgo the hiking up there?

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please take a look at my itinerary - advice appreciated!

I was going to suggest something more on the 12th, but if you get a late start and take your time on the bike path, hang out at Donkey Beach or Kealia Beach, that'll fill your time until the luau.

For the Kokee hike, others have warned you about the potential for rain and mud. That trail is one of the wettest in Kokee. I would drive straight to that last lookout, and if the weather is good, go for it. If it's drizzling or the clouds don't seem too thick, start the hike along the rim, and hope for some views, but don't plan the whole thing (unless you want like mudbaths). Then come back to the PuuHinahina overlook of the Canyon and try the Cliff and Canyon trails if it's drier there. Those trails aren't as wet and have great views of the Waimea Canyon from the top. Here are some rainfall links:

Past 24hr rainfall: …noaa.gov/hnl/graphics/hydro/KRAINFALL_24.gif

Next 24hr forecast: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/data/HFO/AGFHFO

For the last day, I would suggest some sightseeing by car and short walks. You could do the Opaekaa Falls and Waimea Falls overlooks on the east side, Menehune fishpond overlook. For short walks, you could do any of the gardens: NTBG or Hindu temple. If it's rainy on the East side, try your luck in Poipu.