We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

Ok..I was going to wait to post until I am closer, but it is killing me.

So I am requesting timeshares and there are some, north, east and south.

I made the request for East, but now am second guessing.

I did that to be in the middle. But now am reading that if I knew what I wanted to do then to stay in that area and make 1 day trip or so.

This is my first visit. I am going to Maui, Kaui and Big Island. I am sure I am going to go back, but what if I don't...I at least want to see those 3.

My goal is not to relax and sit on the beach. We love to be active, see beautiful scenary...do things we can't do at home. Pretty drives, stopping along the way, hike to waterfalls, etc etc.

We do love to snorkel and one of us scuba dives. So we will probably want to snorkel a few times and maybe dive once. NOt sure that would be on Kaui tho from what little I have read.

So with all of that..suggestions on if I should stay north, south, or east in October??

I can request all 3 areas and just get what I get..which I will increase my number or resorts if I don't hear anything by March.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

If what you want to do is explore, staying east side is a good base location. Equal access to north and south shores. Kapa`a is more of a locals' town than Princeville or Po`ipu, but there are some very nice accommodations there. Lihu`e is also pretty central, and the Marriott is very nice.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

I just got home from 10 days Kauai, 2 on Lana'i and 4 on Maui.

Kauai and the North Shore were unreal with good weather except the last few days but even Poipu was windy and rainy from what I heard.

I do agree though that if you are only on the island a few days then stay East, but the timeshare options aren't very good in this area IMO.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

wow..awesome trip you must have had....

In your opinion where are the good time share options..

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

Tell us what YOUR options are and we can respond.

To me the best timeshare is Marriott.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

Now this is what I can put a request in for...all of these:

I was thinking to put in a request for places we really want and then if we don't get it by March add a few more....

Alii Kai Ii

Aston Aloha Beach Hotel

Aston islander on the Beach

Aston Kauai Beach at makaiwa

Aston at poipu Kai

The Cliffs Club

The Cliffs Resort

hanalei Bay resort

Lawai Beach Resort

Marriotts Kaui Beach Club

Marriotts Kaui Lagoons

Marriotts Waiohai Beach Club

Na Pali Kauai Club

Nihi Kai Villas Resort

Pahio at Ka 'Eo Kai

The pint at Poipu

The Pono Pacific Fantasy Timshareing and Vacation Internationale

Vacation Internationale Kapaa Shore

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas

WorldMark Kapaa Shore

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

I am not a timeshare expert but here goes some quick thoughts:

Alii Kai Ii

Some have nice views others not so much

Aston Aloha Beach Hotel

this is not a timeshare place and a very 1960's hotel

Aston islander on the Beach

Not timeshares

Aston Kauai Beach at makaiwa

not a favorite of mine and again not timeshares, Islander is better

Aston at poipu Kai

others can comment

The Cliffs Club

good choice for North Shore

The Cliffs Resort

Cliffs is part timeshares and part whole owners much like HBR

hanalei Bay resort

great pool and grounds but 2 bedrooms are in better condition than 1 bedrooms. best to rent through an owner

Lawai Beach Resort

good choice but one building faces right onto the road. you sit on the lanai and watch the cars going to Spouting Horn all day. Yuck!

Marriotts Kaui Beach Club

love this place

Marriotts Kaui Lagoons

only 1 or 2 buildings are done so construction issues

Marriotts Waiohai Beach Club

fabulous and hard to get into to

Na Pali Kauai Club

?????

Nihi Kai Villas Resort

Not timeshares right?

Pahio at Ka 'Eo Kai

only ok

The pint at Poipu

nice and close to Hyatt Its called Point.

The Pono Pacific Fantasy Timshareing and Vacation Internationale

never heard of this

Vacation Internationale Kapaa Shore

not my favorite

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas

very nice

WorldMark Kapaa Shore

same as above

bedford
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

Awesome..tahnks for all your comments..I just had a typo on the Point...

The ones taht are not timeshares..they must be allocated to trading, but more like hotel......right now my request is with the Marriot t..I will check the others out too

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
43 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

We stayed North West Shore set up as base camp for 20 or so days. When the surf would cooperate we would go snorkel the Tunnels. Did two dives on the South Shore off the ramp at Kaloa. Which was a great area for easy diving.

If the Surf was up we would head to Poipu beach area as its a semi protected swimming and snorkeling area.

We rented a jeep because we knew we would be exploring. One day went to the Jurassic park site muddy and rough but pretty neat area to check out. Another day we traveled from the old pier area west of the airport along the North Side of the airport to the 80' lighthouse. Another we explored power house road where power is generated via water at the plant there. Basically if we saw a road or wanted to find a way into a beach we would poke up and down roads till we found access. Budget must have loved us as we put 1500 MILES on the jeep. Luckly we did not have to pay mileage.

Our bed and breakfast we stayed at provided Breakfast had a full kitchen we could use for Lunch or dinner. A washer and dryer outside our room. Snorkeling equipment, ice chests, beach chairs and towels. Plus wi-fi coverage plus a laptop with printer for guest use if they did not bring laptop.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
876 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

Wow, that's a big list of timeshares! Depends what you are trading with - if you are trading with a non-marriott unit chances are you will get either one of the Kapaa units or the Cliffs at Princeville. Those are the ones that I see on Interval the most. If you are trading with a high demand unit I would limit my selection to the Marriotts, Westin, Hanalei Bay, and maybe the Point at Poipu and Lawai (good snorkeling, units are so-so).

One plus to staying in the middle is that it is easier to drive to where the snorkeling conditions are good, which is variable in october.

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kaui in October - North, South, Middle

We stayed at Nihi Kai Villas Resort as a timeshare for 2 weeks in October. The unit we were in (523) was somewhat dated and the furniture wasn't very comfortable but it was clean and well maintained. Bed was great. The kitchen was fully equipped. Best of all it had a washer and dryer (good for longer stays). It had a partial ocean view. The grounds were nice and well kept. It was across the street and down a little from Brennecke and Poipu beaches (3 minute walk).

We did lots of day trips west to Polihale beach and up to the north shore so even staying in the south access to the all areas of the island was not problem (except if you hit the traffic in Lihue or Kapa'a).