We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

We are going to Hawaii for 7 days 6 nights 11/22-11/29. We are are Four Seasons Loyalists but I have head SO many amazing things about Kauai. I am also worried about the weather on Kauai on the North this time of year.

We like to do an excursion in the morning...Hike, surfing lesson, snorkel, Zipline...you name it! Them relax by the pool or beach in the afternoon. Sunset cocktails are a must! We also like to leave the resort in the evening to explore the local restaurants. We would take cabs most places as we will be drinking.

California
Level Contributor
9,215 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

Chances are you'll have better weather on the Big Island this time of year. Also, because of high surf, you'd probably have to head South to take surf lessons and snorkel. As far as I know, there's no cab service in Hanalei. You have heard correctly that Kauai is amazing, but based on your post, I'm not sure it's what you're looking for now

California
Level Contributor
35,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

I have never been to Four Seasons on The BI (just got back from the fabulous one on Lana'i and LOVED it) but St Regis does have all the things you want to do. I have heard the FS BI is much better than SR though and if you are loyalist you might be disappointed in SR. No one can tell you if the weather will be great or not, but that's true on any island during the winter.

There is cab service in Hanalei. My son took it all the time.

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

What about the weather on Lanai? That was nice?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

FS is much much nicer by all reports.

Also the beach at SR is pretty exposed to winter winds. Last time I was there in the evening, it was howling. Gotta think FS will be better sheltered by the mountain and the general layout (buildings upwind ).

don't know what the weather on the BI is like right now, but winter is here on Kauai. The last few days have been pretty blustery and overcast. It's looking heavy and gray cloudwise inland and north today as well at this hour.

Might be great in 2 weeks but the odds are better the further you go down the chain in winter.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

The weather in the area of the Four Seasons Big Island is quite different from Kauai's north shore at that time of year. If that's what you're used to , and like, I'd say stick with the Big Island unless you can travel another month.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

The weather at the Four Seasons Lana'i Manele Bay is about as sunny and dry as any place in all of Hawai`i. They get less than 10 inches a year. From what you said about not wanting to drive at night after dinner and drinks makes Lana`i a good option. You do not need to rent a car at all since the resorts run a shuttle every half hour between the two different FS (Manele and Lodge at Koele) with an additional stop in the small town of Lana`i City.

Manele Bay is not as amazing as Hualalai on the BI, but it is a nice resort. And one advantage over the BI is the beach at Manele. This is one the best snorkeling beaches in all the islands, and it is not crowded. The FS BI does not have a swimmable beach. It has 5 pools and the coastline has a sandy beach in front of the whole property, but in the water is a rocky bottom with a big surf. Manele Bay on Lana`i will be significantly less expensive than Hualalai on the BI. Here is a link to Manele's website:

http://www.fourseasons.com/manelebay/

Here is a link to more info on Lana`i:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

Have fun planning your trip!

Edited: 05 November 2010, 21:54
California
Level Contributor
35,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

DrE is so correct! I just loved Menele Bay and we had sunny weather 90% of the time. The bay is right out the back. Spinner Dolphins come in to play in the afternoon. The beds were the most comfy beds EVER! Service was A+. Great food and wonderful resort that I would call nearly perfect. If the BI is better, go there as there'll be more to do than on Lana'i. You really don't even need a car on Lana'i. We didn't. You can rent a jeep for the day. The Lodge at Koele is devine and the restaurant excellent. Best beet salad EVER!!!! I cannot say enough good things about these two hotels and the terrific people on that island. True aloha everywhere you go.

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

I was also a little worried about the weather on Lanai. Averages seem to be in the 70's. Seems a little cool for the beach?

California
Level Contributor
35,269 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

Go to the Lana'i forum and you can get some ideas there on the weather. The difference between where the FS is on the bay and where the Lodge is located is huge.

10. Re: Kauai St regis or Big Island Four seasons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 07:33