We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

Hi again!

By chance, in order to really enjoy the aerial view, is there any "best time" (of the day) to have an airtour in Kauai? (e.g. best in the early morning, or around midday, or maybe in the afternoon....)

Please note that I expect to visit Kauai in August (if this detail makes any difference).

Clearly a sunny day will certainly makes the difference (regardless of the months and the starting time...), however the wheather is always a risk factor, unfortunately and I guess that the tour has to be booked in advance, with whatsoever company... :O(((

Isn't it?

Many thanks in advance to whoever has suggestions on this topic!!

Cheers,

Mauro

California
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

I did it at 1pm and it was fine but in August it can probably be much earlier. Just plan it at the beginning of your trip in case they cancel for some reason and then you can reschedule.

'Ciao'

Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

Thanks. Did you mean that in August I could plan to do it at about 10 am?

Ciao,

Mauro

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

We went up with Wings Over Kauai in Sept 2009, first flight of the day at 9:30am - very clear & sunny. I'd always been told earlier in the day is usually better since the trade winds in the afternoon may bring in clouds or at the least, more bumpy conditions.

Agree with jebett - book the tour for early in your stay so that you'll still be on island if they need to re-scheule you.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

What I meant was during the fall and winter you might have more rain and clouds in the early morning so a bit later was what worked for us, but during the summer you won't have the same issues so anytime in the morning is fine. 10 is what I really wanted but couldn't get that time.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

I'd also shoot for earlier in the morning. And like was mentioned, booking early should ensure that if weather does cancel your flight, you'll have time to reschedule. Plus it's a neat way to see the island before you drive (or hike) around it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

In August I'd go as early AM to avoid any afternoon clouds building up over the mountain. But I'd also wait until you got here to see what the weather looks like so you don't end up wasting your money on a rainy day.

Check to see what the cancellation policy is with whoever you book. August is a pretty busy time so you may well need to book in advance (but not this early). I'd also hold off to make sure whoever you pick is still in business next summer. We've had a few of those companies disappear fairly suddenly in the last few years.

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
632 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

We did the Wings Over Kauai flight early morning which is what they suggested and we did it early in our trip just in case we had to cancel due to weather we could reschedule.

Ellen and Bruce (owners and pilot)are very pleasant people to work.

I did discuss cancellation policy with them and was very happy with the answer I recieved, thank god we had beautiful weather and didn't have to re-schedule or cancel.

Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

Perfect!!

Thank you!!

Ciao,

Mauro

Italy
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

Hi!

Wings over Kauai suggested me to book a couple of weeks in advance, that is at the end of July 2011, however 2 weeks are too much to hope in reliable weather forecast...

In all cases, the flight is planned for my second day (out of 6) in Kauai, to have the opportunity to reschedule it, if needed... (hopefully not...;O)))

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Mauro

middletown,ohio
Level Contributor
632 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best time of the day to have an airtour in Kauai

mauro..enjoy your flight it is amazing to see Kauai from the air.