We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Bit of Everything

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A Bit of Everything

We arrive next Friday night the 19 of November for two weeks and are staying at the Nihi Kai in Poipu. We will need to stock up on groceries including meat and seafood and a few other supplies including some beer and wine.. We arrive at 9:00pm are any of these stores open at this time or do we come back the following day to do our shopping.We do have a Costco membership as well as a Safeway club card.Any suggestions on a plan.Do we go to Costco and or Safeway for our major purchases and then shop local for the rest? Do all these major stores take Visa or is it cash? Is it a long way to go back to Lihue & Kapaa?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Bit of Everything

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Costco is in Lihu'e and will be closed when you get here, so that option won't be open to you - although no question that it is a great place to stock up on supplies and certainly the least expensive - so, unless you want to go back there the day after your arrival --

Big Save in Old Koloa Town is open until 11pm - so you could definitely swing by there and get some groceries on your way to Nihi Kai, which is about a 10 minute drive from Old Koloa town.

Safeway is in the opposite direction than your destination - going North from the airport rather than to the South - so I wouldn't make a big detour to Kapa'a just to get groceries and then drive backwards to Nihi Kai personally.

All major stores here take credit cards, so that is not an issue.

If you want to come back from the South Shore to Costco, it usually takes about 20-25 minutes to drive from here to there - if you want to drive all the way over to Kapa'a to Safeway, it is about 45 minutes drive (in good traffic) to Kapa'a from here.

I'd hit Big Save the night of your arrival, and then plan on a trip to Costco to stock up - JMO!

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Bit of Everything

I've always found it much easier to shop the next day, even though it's only a 5 1/2 hour flight for us, we're pooped by the time we arrive and need some chill time. We're always starving too, however your choices for food are pretty limited as restaurants close pretty early.

Kauai is a small island, it won't take even a 1/2 hr. to get to Costco, Walmart, K-Mart & Long's Drug (Long's has real good prices on beer & wine sometimes) from Poipu. Safeway & Foodland are bit further, I prefer Foodland (ask for a Maikai card for savings). There are several Big Save grocery stores on island (no club card). Foodland & Safeway both have on-line weekly ads too on their websites (Foodland is in Waipouli & Princeville and Safeway in Kapaa)

Here's a link with all the markets listed - farmers markets too:

http://www.trykauai.com/KauaiGroceries.html

3Chihuahuas

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Bit of Everything

Did you rent from Parrish? You can send them a list of items and they will stock our kitchen (for a fee) before we arrive. If we are coming in a bit late, I just ask them to pick up stuff for a light snack and a glass of wine when we arrive and some stuff for breakfast the next morning. Maybe a few lunch items. They will also have a fresh fruit basket with a small packet of coffee waiting at the unit. I too hate trying to stock up the day we arrive so this service is great.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Bit of Everything

Costco only takes AMX. Or a debit card. Otherwise green American pesos.

It's only 20-25 min back to Lihue so hit the Big Spend in Koloa for enough to get you by for the morning then do your heavy shopping at Costco. That way you can see what you need to fill in at a regular grocery esp. items where you don't need the 877 oz size.

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Bit of Everything

<<so hit the Big Spend in Koloa>>

What is Big Spend?

I wouldn't even bother with Costco if you don't need a lot of items. Why travel all the way back to Lihue to go to a big box store. Try shopping the farmer's markets and you probably will be out a lot to eat. There's a good fish market in Koloa.

If you really feel Costco should be on your radar, make it the next day.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Bit of Everything

Big Spend is what many of us call Big Save.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A Bit of Everything

Big Spend? You've got to be kidding. Sure they have island prices, but nothing outrageous or out of the ordinary for the regular stuff. At least not like the markup at the Princeville Foodland.

And nothing like Whole Paycheck in San Francisco. Went in there once and got dinner for 3 at self-serve hot food: $50. Can't imagine what that store is like in Honolulu.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Bit of Everything

Have not read thru all of the posts, and I know there will be excellent advice, but just what we used to, if arrivng late and staying in poipu.

We would pass on the market until the next day.

With the time change, we would wake up early HST, and head over to early bird breakfast at JOES ON THE GREEN. Wonderful way to begin our first kauai day, sitting out on their patio, soakiing up the lovely Kauai morning, and having a totally lazy breakfast.

Kicked back, enjoying views of the golf course and mountains.

We would then go to Big Save ( known as " big spend " but it isnt that bad if you look for the specials ). Located in Koloa Town, a very short few minute drive from Poipu, it made life easy for us. Not any of that running all over the island to lay in provisions.

We came to Kauai for vacation fun, not making a project out of grocery shopping.

Still early in the morning, breakfast and shopping taken care, we had the rest of the day to have a fun time sharing.

Usually, we would then stop by brenneckes beach center and arrange all of the paid activities that we planned on doing. Now all of our tasks are completed.

Then we would walk across the road to poipu beach park for snorkeling on the right side of the tombolo, and then maybe go over to the hyatt and walk along the cliffs and dune trail from makawehi point.

Back at poipu kai resort, go for a cool down swim in our section's pool, and bbq an early dinner and eat out on our condo lanai.

All easy stuff , and loving being back on the garden island.

Of course, you can certainly make up your own itinerary for what ever is in your personal comfort zone.

Denny

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Bit of Everything

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"Whole Paycheck in San Francisco. Went in there once and got dinner for 3 at self-serve hot food: $50. "

Haha! I didn't know that Whole Foods had this nickname, but it is certainly appropriate!

We went over to O'ahu last month and had a take-away dinner (lots of vegetarian choices - yay!) from Whole Foods at the Kahala Mall - it ended up costing us almost as much as the amount you paid! We could have gone out to dinner and then some for it!

It is a great indulgence though and fun to do when you are on a holoholo trip off-island!

I've never thought that Big Save was particularly pricey myself - but then I'm more used to the prices at Sueoka Store and Kukui'ula Market - and they are a little higher overall.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Bit of Everything

As a norm, we head straight to Big Save from the airport and pick up the necessaries, including milk, bread, POG, whatever looks good or whatever we think we may need in the next 12-15 hours. Whether or not you need to travel back to Lihue and Costco (in general, I find Costco to be quite a money pit), or Safeway in Kapaa, is really a function of the size of your family/travel party. For two people or a family with young children, you can do famously at Big Save or at Sueoka or Kukuiula grocery stores. Big Save always runs weekly specials, and one can score a deal on meat, soda, etc. For fresh seafood, we shop at the Koloa Fish Market and I suggest that you stop there the morning after your arrival and check out the wonderful selection. No bargain prices there but best of the best in terms of freshness and quality in general.

Edited: 13 November 2010, 03:02