We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving and private charters in Kauai

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
scuba diving and private charters in Kauai

I am going to Kauai in December.. first time and wanted to know if anyone has good experience with a scuba diving company there (small group or private boat) and also the Napali Coast trip and whale watching? Is catamaran better or zodiac type of raft better? Anyone has been there in the winter and has experience with these type of tours? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Napali Coast Hanalei Tours
Napali Coast Hanalei...
916 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii Adventure Center
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Air Tours
Z Tourz
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Na Pali Odyssey
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Explore Kauai Scuba
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving and private charters in Kauai

Diving in winter time, should be better on the south shore. Suggest you give KAUAI AQUATIC SCUBA a call. And talk with Damian. KAC really takes good care of you.

They also make a video ( DVD) of you and your dive to take back to the mainland with you.

Very professional, and full of fun and aloha. Highly recommend

KAC: 808-742-4770 for current dive sites. You can also search them out on the web.

We have dove with them several times....re-fresher, and two dives for our PADI advance cert. ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT.

Shore dive at Koloa Landing . Say hello to the dragon eel that hangs out there, and you may see the flying gunards, and of course the octupus, and plenty of other reef fish.

They also have a dive boat as well, and probably dive sheraton caverns.

All gear is provided, so you do not have to lug your huge and heavy and costly dive bags with you. Your choice, maybe you want your own mask and snorkel, we did as visitors. As residents, we have our pre packed dive bags, as well as our wet suits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time of year and which Napali Boat. Check on Ocean swell condition and also call the different Napali Tour Companies. They will let you know what is happening, and which boats that are available with respect to the conditions.

We now have 12 Napali Trips, on many different vessels with many different companies, and all were excellent.

Capt. Andy has become a favorite for the large sailing Catamarans

Napali Explorer is a fun Sea Cave inflatable fast hoot and howl, and go ashore at nualolo kai for a tour of the ancient hawaiian fishing village area.

Liko Kauai Cruises: 43 ft, power cat that also goes into the sea caves.

we have been with many, many others, and all were great fun, but those are the top three for us.

Now, cruising ground, snorkeling areas, sea cave entry, and mooring areas for lunch are going to be dependant on the swells that we may or may not have in Dec. Just check with the individual companies, but you probably do not need to book until you get here, and see what is happening with our ocean and surf.

And do not forget about good south shore snorkeling at Lawai Beach, at the Beach House Restaurant area. Nice ava, sandy entry area, so you do not have to tumble over the rocks .

Denny

Mentioned in this post
Liko Kauai Cruises
Liko Kauai Cruises
402 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,034 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Lawai Beach Resort
Lawai Beach Resort
478 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Beach House Restaurant
Beach House Restaurant
5,044 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
924 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving and private charters in Kauai

Also recommend Seasport Divers in Poipu. We've used them many times for the south shore spots like General Store, Sheraton Caverns, Stonehouse, Harbor Ledges, as well as Niihau in the summer. Last two boat dives at Brenneke's ledge and Sheraton Caverns we saw bandit angelfish, white damselfish, octopi (2), surgeonfish, whitemouth, yellow margin and snowflake morays, turtles (8), and a leaf scorpionfish. Boat dives we usually try to go with Sabine since she is excellent at identifying fish. Shore dives we usually go on our own to Koloa landing and browse the ever-changing cornocopia there.

Of interest, on our last flight over I sat next to a Bubbles Below divemaster and he also recommended Seasport (he wouldn't say why).

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,034 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving and private charters in Kauai

I dove with both SeaSport and Fathom Five in October. Both seemed like good operations although I preferred SeaSport due to their nicer boat. I have a bad back and the small boat used by Fathom Five was tough on it heading out to the dive site and harder to get into after the dive. SeaSport's boat was larger, more comfortable and had 2 big ladders at the stern.

It will probably be too rough in December but if you get a chance to dive Ni'ihou take it! They put one last charter on when I was there and it was the best diving I've ever done in my life.

4. Re: scuba diving and private charters in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 06:41