We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current conditions of road to Polihali?

NE PA
Level Contributor
955 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Current conditions of road to Polihali?

Anybody been to Polihali recently? We'd like to spend an afternoon there and catch the sunset in early January. It's been a few years since I've been there. We're renting a premium crossover which should have a little more ground clearance.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,248 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

We went out in mid- October, believe it or not, the road had been graded!!! Easy drive out to the park or over to Queen's Pond, just be aware the sand gets deep around the last bend before the dune at Queen's Pond. We had a Chevy Malibu.

3Chihuahuas

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
242 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

we were out around the 18th of October as well and the road was no problem. We had a Nissan Sentra (low) and although the one sandy spot was a little dicey we got though just fine.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The road currently isn't too bad out to Polihale State Park - they did get some rain (!!!) out there within the last couple of weeks, but I don't believe the road was affected much.

Do be advised that Queen's Pond is not really "there" any longer, it only occurs during the summer and early fall months - with the higher winter surf, it disappears.

Still worth a drive out there - incredibly beautiful - and today at Kekaha Beach I saw about 5 whale spouts - so they are pretty active!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
37,453 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

A lot can happen withing the next few weeks. I would re-ask this question after Xmas in case there's been a ton of rain.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

Was there Dec 2 the road was fine got in with a car no problem,

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

I was just there 4 days ago, after the big rain of recent days. There were lots of people who made it out there with regular cars. We had a Jeep but it wasn't that bad...easy to zig zag around the wet potholes.

NE PA
Level Contributor
955 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

Thanks for the replies! It looks like it's in as good of condition as it has been for a while. The last time I was there we arrived via a kayak beach landing. Definitely a memorable event and I still find sand in my shorts!

Edited: 07 December 2010, 17:47
8. Re: Current conditions of road to Polihali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 05:18