We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filming Sharks in Kauai...

TommyTricker
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Filming Sharks in Kauai...

I'll be in Kauai the last couple weeks of Feb. It'll be my first time to Kauai. I've been to Oahu and Maui, and have been lucky enough to get footage and photos of sharks on both islands. Can anyone recommend a place on Kauai where I'd be likely to find them? I've heard Tunnels Beach is a Tiger breeding ground, but the surf is pretty heavy in the winter.

Any recommendations be greatly appreciated.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

Never seen any sharks at tunnels....but with maybe some winter large surf, and of course strong currents, and hungry sharks, you have an opportunity for an adventure.

We have dove with sharks, in australia, the great barrier reef, and coral sea, well as loads of off Bora Bora in Tahiti ou on barrier reef .......no big deal.

So between Australia , and Tahiti, including the great t barrier reef and the coaral sea, we encountered Black tips, white tips, and gray whalers. Not to mention the lazed out nurse sharks.

We dive and snorkel Kauai, and know that there are sharks in our waters but have not encountered any.

Oh, just one quick story about being surprised when never having witnessed sharks .

Skippering a sailing vessel in the BVI ( British Virgin Islands). The previous night we bbq'd steaks on board while anchored at the Bight ( norman island )

The next morning, we ready to haul up the anchor, and I remembered that we had not emptied the ashes out of bbq. BBQ is installed on the stern pulpit.

Erica was at the helm, I was up forward with the anchor chain and rode.

I suggested that we might want to dump the ashes from the BBQ prior to hauling up the anchor. Since underway, the ashes from the coals woud be blowing all over the place , especially when sailing down wind.

So , the ladies un-screwed the bbq , and shook out the ashes.

Within seconds, there were for or five reef sharks going nuts, tearing about, cutting thru the water in what some call a feeding frenzy. Rapid , fast movements, darting all around the stern.

Those super pedators can sense a micro milimeter of blood for miles away.

In all of our sailing vacations down in the BVI, we had never seen a shark.

And we are in the water snorkeling a lot. Erica has also dove the wreck ot the Rhone.

Point being, even tho we have not seen sharks here, the ocean is their home, and you might call one of the dive shops , ( listed in the UKG), and see if they have any good scoops for you.

Even tho shark sightings are infrequent, they are out there.

Denny

Edited: 10 December 2010, 00:12
Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

I dove out off of Poipu with Seasport in October and photographed some white tips. I think it was at a dive they call the Sheraton Caverns but I can't be sure. I'd email them and ask.

California
Level Contributor
35,250 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

Oh there are sharks at Tunnels, Denny. A famous young surfer lost her arm there.

Last year (or maybe the year before, time goes so fast) there were a few sightings and they closed the beach for a bit. In Feb Tunnels would be too rough too go out, most likely.

Maybe you could call a dive shop and get more information.

Edited: 10 December 2010, 01:27
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

There are definitely sharks at Tunnels! DH came face to face with a 7 foot gray reef shark just over the outter reef. Pilot fish in tow.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

A few days ago there was a shark sighting at PK's...your best bet would be to go scuba diving (especially on a dive at Niihau).

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, not only Bethany Hamilton, but another young local man named Hoku Aki lost his leg in 2002 here on the South Shore at Brennecke's to a shark (tiger I believe) - he got much less press by far, but it was no less a tragedy, and also wonderful that due to a nurse being on the beach at the right place and time - saving his life.

I did hear about the shark sighting over at P.K.'s the other day as well.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 10 December 2010, 19:01
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

In mid-October there was an uproar at Salt Pond Beach as a smaller shark swam into the beach area and swam around for a while. Think it was a black tipped? Later that day a monk seal showed up also. Think it might have been more than coincidence.

TommyTricker
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

Thanks everyone for your stories and feedback..

While I was visiting Maui, I was snorkeling at Cathedral off Lanai and saw a couple black tips cruising around. They were very weary of us and kept their distance. The snorkel guide and I seemed to be the only ones to see them... he told me not to say anything to anyone to avoid mass hysteria from all the other snorkelers. They were only a few feet long. On that same trip, we saw some spinner dolphins playing around in the distance... they too, had no interest in us and stayed far away... Needless to say, it was an awesome experience.

I'll definitely be in the water every day trying to get some good footage. Any other recommendations for places to get exciting footage of the local wildlife?

Thanks again.

California
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

Roosters at Ke'e :)

TommyTricker
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Filming Sharks in Kauai...

Haha! Thanks... I don't know if my heart can handle that much excitement. Adrenaline overload!