We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget hotels in kauai

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
budget hotels in kauai

Hi folks

Could someone recommend an affordable (under $150) hotel/condo/lodge in Kauai, preferably in south / west coast. Its a bit tough to find.

Thanks!

Arkadiy Shapiro

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget hotels in kauai

What time of year? How long a stay? Number in your party? Any other must haves? (Pool, distance to beach etc). $150 isn't hopeless though you do need to figure another 12-3% for TAT (tax).

If you put "budget hotel" in the search function, you'll find some older threads with various alternatives offered. User Coalminer seems to have good advice so you might want to focus on her contributions.

Also hit VRBO as renting directly can save you a bit.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget hotels in kauai

I am going next week! 2 adults in party. Closeness to beach is nice but not a must if i can get something in south shore.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget hotels in kauai

Xmas/New Years week a week out is a horse of a different color. Very busy time. You may be in a beggars can't be choosers situation this close in.

I spot checked hotels.com, Priceline and hotwire which shows the big Poipu hotels have space but they're very priced high for that week which is no surprise.

Hyatt -- $428++ (4.5 star). I'm guessing the 4 star is Sheraton but still way over your budget.

If you want a hotel, maybe take one shot with NYOP on Priceline, but I doubt you get that price for either of those hotels at Xmas. You might get lucky and get a deep discount at the just opening Wyndam Koloa Landing. They might be eager to get people in. Can't hurt to try.

There are some inexpensive places in Kapaa in the listings. I'd stay away from either of the the two 2 stars (Kauai Sands and Aloha Beach resort) unless you are up against a wall. The reviews on the Sands are pretty grim, which isn't a shock at $59 on a beach in Hawaii Xmas week. The Aloha is a bit better from a drive by perspective but haven't been in a room in years.

You might do ok on name your own price in this area, but stick to 3*+ hoping for either the Aqua or the Courtyard by Marriott Makaiwa Resort (name keeps changing). Both are not bad for the price.

There are some cheaper deals on Craigslist, but it's Craigslist so you just never know how reliable things are.

Also try VRBO.com. They at least have a screen for your specific dates.

Good luck.

California
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget hotels in kauai

$150 in the South area can be found with condos, but the least expensive hotel is The Sheraton and you are talking about Xmas week.

Kapaa would be your best bet. Aqua, Islander, Kuaui Sands, Aloha Beach, Ramada will all most likely have rooms available. Of these I would choose Islander. I have stayed at all but Aqua. Islander you can rent through the resort or through owners. You get a little less front desk service, but you pay a lot less too. VRBO is a good source for private rentals.

This is a very nice condo (but more than your budget) that is open next week. It is at a very popular complex, Kuhio Shores on the South Shore, and has wonderful views. If you can up your budget its reduced for next week only and maybe you can make an even better deal than what they are offering.

http://www.kuhio-shores.com/KS308.html#

Have a wonderful holiday.

Edited: 18 December 2010, 15:20
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,373 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget hotels in kauai

As Dave pointed out, this is not a choosers time of the year, definitely beggars. Winter Holidays is a very busy time with accommodations, airfare, and rental cars reserved nearly a year out by most of us who visit during this time. Do you have your air reserved? If not, you may be in for a rude surprise of $1,200/pp tickets. In any event, I would stick with the South Shore for better weather. Why don't you surf onto www.suite-paradise.com to see what is still available in South Shore condos and then call the nice people there to consult.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget hotels in kauai

I hope you have a car booked. Getting around Kauai without one is very difficult.

try http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com or

http://www.hawaiidrive-o.com/

3Chihuahuas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget hotels in kauai

And the Island is indeed getting crowded for Xmas. You can really judge by just how messed up Kapaa traffic becomes and today was a logjam.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: budget hotels in kauai

Parrish is showing some availability at The Cottages at Poipu Kai for the next two weeks at $109/night plus taxes & fees.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/cottages-at-po…

~Natasha

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: budget hotels in kauai

Actually I used hawaiidrive-o - they booked me with Alamo. Just not sure if i have to go to them or to Alamo when i get to airport.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: budget hotels in kauai

Arkadiy, you will go directly to Alamo, taking the Alamo shuttle bus, just like anyone else with an Alamo reservation.

Hawaii-Drive-O does not have an office at the airport. They're strictly an online intermediary and they book their customers with the major rental companies. You should have received a confirmation from them and you should also have received a confirmation from Alamo with their own confirmation number on it. Whatever you have, just proceed right to Alamo.

So here's what you do. After you arrive at Lihue cross over the main drive (you'll see small kiosk type stands for the car rental companies). Since you have your reservation you don't need to stop there. Just go directly to the back side of those kiosks and wait for your Alamo shuttle van there. You'll see all the major rental companies vans pulling up there. Your Alamo van will take you right to the Alamo rental office where your car is (about a 2 minute ride only). Have a great trip!