We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

My wife and I (in our 50's) will be visiting Kauai in Jan for 3 days. This is our first time to Kauai and need some help on our itinerary.

Day 1. Arrive at mid morning. Plan to visit Waimea Canyon before checking in to our hotel Kauai Beach Resort. Questions. Should I allow more than half day for Waimea Canyon?

Day 2. Sailing/snorkle tour 4-6 hours. Any recommendation on which boat company I should use?

Day 3. Taking the Wailua Kayak guided tour. Any recommendation on which tour operator I should use?

Day 4. Leaving for Ohau.

In addition, we favor local dinning and looking forward to any suggestion. Thanks in Advance.

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

<<Arrive at mid morning. Plan to visit Waimea Canyon before checking in to our hotel Kauai Beach Resort.>>

Well if you don't get to the canyon early the chance of low fog cover are great. My neice got there a few weeks ago close to 11 and it was socked in. You might want to switch days for this activity.

Sailing trips?

In January you might need to be flexible here due to the changing weather. I recommend Holo Holo or Capt Andys out of Pt Allen. If you can't take a boat trip I recommend an air tour by helicopter or single wing like Wings Over Kauai.

Kayak tours:

Kayak Wailua is good.

Restaurants:

Hukilau Lanai for dinner and in Lihue are lots of good local places for breakfast and lunch.

A trip to Kauai and you don't see the North Shore is a terrible waste IMO. Please make sure you take a drive and see the beautiful North Shore if you can fit it in.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

I'd allow more time for the drive to Waimea Canyon because there are other things along the way you shouldn't miss. Waimea Canyon and the south shore can be one whole day and the north shore can be one full day.

How about switchinig it up a bit and doing your kayak trip on Day 1, the day you arrive. That way you'll be near your hotel too. Maybe you can drop off your bags, possibly even snag your room early, then go on the Wailua kayak trip right down the road from your hotel. This way you're not driving back from Waimea Canyon back to your hotel in the dark possibly, and not seeing some other sights along the way.

Or, why not combine the sail/snorkel trip with a trip to Waimea Canyon? The road that heads up to the canyon is nearby the docks for the tour boats. If you take the early morning cruise then you'll be back to the dock by 1 p.m. This would give you a good amount of time at the canyon.

I certainly wouldn't miss the north shore and I'd make day 3 a whole day of north shore adventures.

So , my recommendation that would allow you to : a) consolidate activities by location and, b) give you time to actually see more of Kauai:

Arrival Day: Wailua kayak trip (near hotel)

Day 2: Napali tour then Waimea Canyon

Day 3: Northeast / North shores day.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

If you think you will be tight on time going to Waimea Canyon, then do a helicopter ride. It is the best thing we have ever done on a vacation. Plus you will really get to see Waimea Canyon. There is nothing like Kauai by Air.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

Don't get too locked in to any schedule. January can bring heavy surf/swells making the Na Pali trips very rough. Might want to play that one by ear if at all possible.

This time of year you may get lucky and have clear weather on the mountain all day. If we have high pressure over us, you could be in luck. On those days, you can go any time, otherwise, earlier the better if you want to see down into Kalalau. I'd expect just driving to the top and back to the airport/KBR will take on the order of 3-4 hrs.

I'd also play the Wailua kayak by ear. If this rain keeps up, you might want to find another activity as the river can be pretty nasty and a bit dangerous if rainfall has been heavy.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the storms will let up for a while letting the river clear a bit. It's not one of the top top activities anyway so you might want to visit the north shore instead anyway.

Hit the FAQ on restaurants for ideas there. My fav in the Kapaa area is the Hukilau Lanai but there are many others within 30 min of where you are staying. Poipu is only 30 min away for example. Princeville/Hanalei slight longer

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

Napaguy deserves to be a Kauai Destination Expert, I was going to say pretty much exactly what he said. And Dave's suggestion to be flexible, especially about the kayaking and risk of flash flooding is very relevant right now. If you can't go kayaking, driving to Opaekaa falls and Wailua falls is a decent substitute.

6. Re: Need Help on Janurary Kauai Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2011, 05:55