We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
372 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

My husband and I are traveling to Kauai for 10 nights in July (end of July). We are very busy travelers (meaning we are often out and about during the day discovering as much about our location as possible). On Maui, we stayed at an oceanfront condo (the Maui Kai), BUT our favorite night was the one we spent in a Yurt in Hana- it felt like what Hawaii should feel like to us! We want to find a special place (or two- we don't mind splitting the trip in order to enjoy two wonderful properties). Currently our favorites (and available locations) are:

Jasmine Nights (outdoor shower, but only cold water- beautiful and quaint) http://www.kauaijasmine.com/outside.htm

Twin Hearts (outdoor hot/cold shower, hot tub, yurt-like feel) www.vacation-rental-kauai.com/twinhearts.htm

The Mango Shack (I read there was a partial robbery there (camping gear- is this a common problem?)) http://www.vrbo.com/44783

The Jungle River Hideaway (outdoor tub and shower- surrounded by greens (only available for a portion of our stay). http://www.vrbo.com/52010

The Orchid

http://www.surfsideprop.com/orchid.html

Kauai Villa

http://kauaivilla.com/

and

A beautiful cottage with a pool (MAY have to share pool with owner and family who live on property in separate house).

http://www.vrbo.com/153742

I would appreciate any help or first hand knowledge people have with any of these properties. I look to you, the experts, to help us figure out where to best station ourselves. Note: these are all on the North Shore b/c I had trouble finding similar properties on the South Shore!

Mahalo!!!

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

<< Note: these are all on the North Shore b/c I had trouble finding similar properties on the South Shore!>>

July is the perfect time of the year to be on the North Shore of Kauai and you will have many options for the type of accommodations you want.

I read that comment on Mango Shack. That area is a little stetchy to me. I would concentrate on Haena or Hanalei.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

We stayed in the Orchid Cottage in 2007. Here's a link to my trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k12636…

Let me know if you have other questions. During that trip we also stayed in a yurt in Haena and you will find info on that property in the trip report as well.

Sounds like you are looking for the same kind of places we like to stay since the other properties on your list are also ones we have checked out. Here are a couple more that might work for you:

http://www.vrbo.com/171793

www.kauaivacationhideaway.com/plumeria/

Agree with jebett that you'll love the north shore in July.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

Hi Scrappy

We stayed at the sister property to Twin Hearts in the two bedroom cottage.....and it was a very private location.....the landscaping is done so well that we couldn't even see Twin Hearts from our cottage....It's nice that each has a kayak to use and a hot tub, ours also had some snorkel gear and boogie board, very well stocked pantry in the kitchen, the owners were great to deal with......the only downside that we experienced was that our particular cabin was located at a fork in the road that led down to the beach and during the weekend there was more traffic noise and dust........but since we never actually saw Twin Hearts, it must have been further from the road.......

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

This one,

http://kauaivilla.com

is actually one of the free-standing hales at Hanalei Bay Villas. These are very nice 2-story freestanding cottages located right next to the entrance to the St. Regis. There are about 20 of them I believe. All right across from the pathway down to Hideaways Beach and walking distance to the St. Regis Hotel also. This one stands out from all the others in that it isn't isolated which is what I'd gather you like, judging from the other ones you've listed? The convenience of the location would be my personal choice though. Views of the mountains from the rear windows and lanais can be very nice from these units. Ditto with the views of the ocean just a few steps from your front door.

The first one you listed would concern me, not having hot water. (cold showers all the time?). Also, they're not very specific with it's location.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

Also, a very laidback and secluded place, similar to what you seem to be looking for, is Waimea Plantation Cottages on the south shore.

http://www.waimea-plantation.com/

These individual cottages are restored plantation workers homes. Located in Waimea which might be a bit too remote for you to all other spots on the island. It's about a 25 minute ride west of Poipu.

Very unique place. Has somewhat the same atmosphere as being in a remote hotel in Hana.

Edited: 28 December 2010, 01:20
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

For the record, not all these properties are on the north shore. I don't consider anything before Kilauea to be north shore. Coconut Coast is certainly not north shore, and neither is Moloa'a Bay. The only ones I would consider to be on the north shore are the Jungle River Hideaway, the Orchid, and Kauai Villa.

I only say this to warn you, as one of those ads said they were on the north shore, which creates a certain expectation (in me, at least), then says they are south and east of Kilauea. To me, that's a bit of mis-representation. It might be technically correct, but it would not provide the ambiance I would expect.

I love all of Kauai, but the north shore holds a special place in my heart, so I take these things seriously. ;-)

Have a great time.

Edited: 28 December 2010, 02:07
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

We have also stayed at Hanalei Bay Villas (#3), but that was the trip when we had our grown kids and son-in-law with us. We really liked the unit, but I wouldn't consider it near as romantic and private for a couple as some of the other units. Although the units are not attached to other units, they will be much closer to other units than most of the other cottages you are looking at.

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

Hanalei Bay Villas are far from remote. There are 37 stand alone condos in Princeville and next to The St Regis Hotel, the largest hotel on the North Shore. They really aren't cottages. Some are nicer than others. Some have a big drop off into the valley below and some have pretty good views from the front door.

wizardpub.com/kauai/krhanaleibayvillas.html

I can't see what unit number it is. Did I not read that? I ask because there are a few units in a short sale/close to to foreclosure in this complex, so renter beware.

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
372 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

All of these comments are wonderful and so helpful. Napaguy- we looked at Waimea and think that now we will split our time between one of the properties listed above and the plantation. We plan to do the canyon (hiking, boat trip and helicopter as well as hanggliding and the Anara Spa at the Hyatt) so we have plenty to keep us busy for a couple of days.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the Jasmine NIghts- only the outdoor shower is cold water only- inside has both hot and cold. I think we have eliminated the HBV property based on your feedback.

I also heard back from the cottage that has a pool and the family does not use the pool or spa when guests are home...

The yurt is also a possibility. I think right now the front runners are the house with the pool and spa, Jasmine Nights and Twin Hearts. We appreciate continued feedback and hope to make a decision by tonight so that we don't miss out on any of the properties.

Adding craziness to our planning is the post about a free two night stay at the Hyatt with opening a credit card -- before the Hyatt was out of our budget...

Again- many thanks for all of your insightful help!!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help advise us on which cottage to choose...

The house with the pool looks good, but you want might want to check out some of the threads on staying in the Anahola area. Personally we have decided not to stay in that area after reading some of those threads. Of the ones still on your list, I think I would go with the Twin Hearts.

Splitting your stay will be fine, but just keep in mind you'll be faced with two cleaning fees if you stay in two different condos/cottages. Perhaps your best option is the two nights at the Hyatt and then the remaining 8 nights on whatever unit you choose.