We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moloaa Bay

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Moloaa Bay

Can anyone tell me if Moloaa Bay is a nice area to stay in Kauai? Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moloaa Bay

It's OK if you like being really really out of the main stream. It's a nice beach but with very limited parking so not many people go there unless they're staying in the area. Might be very rough in winter, but ok to play in the water in summer, surf permitting. Bit of a drive to any services. There's maybe 25 houses down there and not much else.

There are a number of old threads re specific rentals. Stick Moloaa in the search function and they should pop up. At least one was being savaged for having a collection of very nice photos from years ago before it fell into disrepair. Caveat emptor.

California
Level Contributor
35,580 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moloaa Bay

To me, it kind of depends on the time of year you want to go. I remember checking out some places in Moloaa Bay in 2006 and they were damp and musty. OLD is another word to describe the homes I saw. I would think in the winter and early spring this would be even more of an issue. If you want to be fairly isolated and near a really beautiful beach during the summer, then its a lovely spot. It was just too remote for me.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moloaa Bay

Im getting the impression it may be too remote for me too. Ive always stayed in the Poipu area, but thinking of staying somewhere on the north shore. I looked at some cottage rentals on vrbo and Moloaa turned up some good offerings. Can anyone recommend a good north shore condo/cottage below the $200/night range. I will be going in June. Thanks again.

California
Level Contributor
35,580 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moloaa Bay

There is another thread going on with recommendations. Its the thread on helping to choose a cottage.

Good choice for checking out the North side in June. You should love it.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moloaa Bay

Thanks jebett!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moloaa Bay

In June, the north shore will be magnificent.

For condos under $200/night check out Sealodge. In particular I can recommend unit D-9 which we stayed in last year. Make sure to check out reviews on the individual units, though, as units vary greatly.

For cottages, here is one to check out. We're stying there next June for a week. You will also find others on vrbo.com and as jebett pointed out there is another current thread that might give you some ideas.

http://www.vrbo.com/171793

Edited: 29 December 2010, 15:29
boston
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moloaa Bay

We stayed in Moloaa Bay in November. It is NOT all that remote folks!

Yes, it isn't on the main drag and it might take 15-25 mins to get to Princeville or Kapaa, but that was no problem for us!! And you will most likely have a rental car, so what's the problem? Part of the beauty of Kauai is that you ARE away from the typical touristy, crowded places, isn't it?

If you HAVE to be in the center of things, go to Honolulu instead.

Really, We rented Gilligan's Beach House. The price was right, the location was great, and the house was perfect! Individual results may vary, but this was the perfect place for us. In fact we spent 4 days at Moloaa bay then transferred to The Sheraton in Poipu. While the Sheraton was nice, we were surrounded by other tourists constantly and it cost a lot more than Gilligan's.

Sparks, NV
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moloaa Bay

My mom and I checked out the Moloaa area during our recent trip thinking it might be a new spot to hang out on the beach for a while. Boy, were we out of our minds or what? To say the parking is limited is an understatement. I honestly didn't see anything that resembled "parking" in the typical beach-parking sense of the word. More like, "squeeze your car in on the edge of the narrow road if you can find a tiny patch of exposed ground." I couldn't tell you what the beach looks like, because it really isn't visible from the road due to the view being blocked by homes. I'm sure it's a lovely, quiet and secluded place to stay, and maybe I'll stay there one day. It is quite a drive off the main road, winding through some beautiful terrain. One thing you wouldn't have to worry about is hordes of day-use beachgoers since there isn't any place for them to park!

9. Re: Moloaa Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 05:17