We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

Nanaimo, B.c.
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

We are looking to rent a 2 bed, 2 bath condo at either of these condo complexes. Waipouli looks very nice but we're wondering if it's worth spending the extra money. Many condos at Plantation are much cheaper than Waipouli but are they just as nice? Is the location of WBR better than the North Shore. We want to tour the island, visit Waimea Canyon but also want to spend time at the nice beaches on the North Shore and do some snorkeling. Any feedback would be appreciated to help us with our decision.

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

I was just on both of these properties this week.

My question is when is your trip planned?

WBR is very centrally located which some like for the ease of getting to all areas of the island. It is not my favorite location, but I must say the units and pool area are very nice(as is the small restaurant) if you can find a nice ocean facing condo and not one that looks out to Safeway.

I hope I don't get slammed, but Plantation is not my cup of tea. On a positive note it is nicer than its next door neighbor, Nihilani. It just feels like any condo in Orange County CA. They are so cheap because there are so many close together and many people who stay on the North Shore expect a view. Plantation doesn't offer views per say.

You can get some screaming deals at Plantation so if you want to stay on the North Shore to take advantage of the proximity to the great beaches during calm ocean times, then its a fine place to stay. Both are on the newer side.

Nanaimo, B.c.
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

Thanks for your reply. We will be in Kauai May 10 for one week. We want to convenience of a good location along with a nice condo.

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

Like I said, both are newer condos. I might lean to Plantation since you said May, but if you want a terrific pool and don't mind staying in Kapaa then WBR units are VERY nice.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

Don't take the posted rates for WBR as the end price. You may find the agency or owner willing to drop a bit to fill their calendars. BTW we will be at WBR at the end of February. The pool for our two small kids, and central location sealed the deal.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

" It just feels like any condo in Orange County CA. "

LOL, don't know if most posters got that reference, but I did. Enough said!

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

I see so many comments about Princeville being like a planned community, and I get it to some extent like other vacation destination areas surrounded by golf courses, but the two condo complexes right next to each other

Plantation and Nihilani, do fit that bill, I admit.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

>>>It just feels like any condo in Orange County CA<<<

Hey, get off the OC or I'll talk about those homes above Pennini's Ristorante off Alta Mesa!

I guess I would ask why those two in all of Kauai? I would never stay in Kapa'a (unless the fix the Coco Palms), I'd either be in the North or South.

Nanaimo, B.c.
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

Why would you never stay in Kapaa? Has the area become too busy and built up with condos, shopping etc? We spent 3 days on Kauai approx 5 yrs ago but stayed at BW Plantation Hale. We found that area quite central to tour the island. Looking for a condo with A/C which a lot of them do not have while checking them out on VRBO. Do you have any suggestions for a nice 2 bd, 2ba condo within our budget of $150. p.n.?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

>>>Why would you never stay in Kapaa? Has the area become too busy and built up with condos, shopping etc?<<<

It has for us, but it has been that way for a while. I also don't find the area to be especially attractive.

The North has Ali'i Kai that is in your range.

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kraliikai.html

The South has various ones too.

http://www.r7r.com/rental.htm

www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

10. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort vs Plantation at Princeville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 06:21