We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Our inter-island flight puts us in Kauai around 1:45 - is there somewhere near the airport for a good, inexpensive lunch?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,059 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Hamura's Saimen on Kress St. in Lihue.

Don't forget a slice of their lilikoi pie.

Great local, basic place....

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Kalapaki Beach Hut. Great burgers, and fish & chips.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Ditto Hamura's!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

I strongly join in the suggestion of Hamura Saimin on Kress Street in Lihue for a steaming bowl of saimin goodness followed by a slice of lilikoi pie.

First runner up would be Kalapaki Beach Hut by the Marriott for either fish and chips or hamburgers.

These would be your best bets, IMO.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

All of Lihue is within 2 miles of the airport, so you have your choice of eateries. In addition to those mentioned, there is also Garden Island BBQ (quick and decent island-style Chinese), Tip Top cafe, sushi, Italian, all sorts of fast food, etc.

But look at it this way: by the time you get your car, it'll be around 2:30 or later. I'm not sure all places are open in the middle of the afternoon. My suggestion would be to grab a quick bite at the inter-island terminal in HNL before boarding at 1pm. They have BurgerKing, Panda Chinese, Roselani's (I think) Ice Cream, and a more expensive grill-type place (burgers, etc). Nothing great, but it may be easier and quicker to grab that meal on the go. If you're really in a rush, you can grab it and eat it on the flight.

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
758 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Except for the inexpensive requirement, I was going to recommend Dukes Barefoot bar right on Kalapaki Beach for a mai-tai and a couple of fish tacos to get you into the proper Kauai frame of mind--but that would come to about $20 per person. That is certainly not "inexpensive" but the location and the scenery and the food and drink are indeed worth it.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,896 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

>>>Our inter-island flight puts us in Kauai around 1:45 - is there somewhere near the airport for a good, inexpensive lunch?<<<

So that puts you out of the airport at 2:15ish let's say.... Where are you staying? Condo or hotel?

Hamura is a great call, but so is Duke's Barefoot Bar, I can't think of a better way to start a Kauai vacation than a mai tai at Duke's.

Maybe look at Garden Island Barbecue as well

If you are heading to Poipu, I'd look at Mark's Place as well.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Lots of good suggestions, especially about eating at HNL and having a Mai Tai to start your vacation - Stinger Ray's at HNL - in the Hawaiian Airlines terminal. Kalua Pig Nachos (YUM & big enough to share) and they make a Mai Tai in a tall, tall glass complete with pineapple slice, cherry and an umbrella! Unless we have a non-stop flight to LIH, that's how we start every Kauai trip.

3Chihuahuas

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Agree with the others who recommended eating in HNL, if you have time between flights.

If not, just hop in your rental car and hit the road. You'll pass by many places to grab something quick. As much as I like Hamura's I think it's a little difficult for first-timers to find. If you're familiar with the small streets of Lihue then no problem.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants near Kauai Airport

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just down the street from Hamura's Saimin in Lihu'e is the newly opened Tiano's Island Cuisine - about 5 minutes drive to the airport and they are open for lunch.

Malama Pono,

Janet