We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

Planning on going to Kauai this Oct or early Nov. on a timeshare exchange. My choices are Wyndham's Kauai Beach Villa in Lihue, Pono Kai in Kapaa or in Princeville, Wyndham Bali Hai or the Alii Kai Resort. As a couple, we're not worried about entertaining a family. Convenience to sights and the quality of the complex are probably the main concerns. Renting a car to explore, always looking for local eateries and "off tourist track" sights.

Going to Maui for 2nd week.

Thanks for any suggestions

Na Pali Catamaran
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Blue Dolphin Charters
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kauai Sea Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

It depends on how important being on the beach is to you. Princeville is up on a cliff, gorgeous, but on a cliff.

Personally I'd go with Princeville over the other locations because of the beauty of the north and the unique local character.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

Go with either of the Princeville locations. Princeville is far superior a location.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

Staying at the Alii Kai 2 this comming May, so will let you know if we love the area or really love it.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

The Princeville Locations do not have A/C if that's important to you. The others do.

Oct or Nov I would take Princeville.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

I love the East side location (Kauai Beach Villas). EAsy access to going north or south. Here's an album of Kauai Beach Villas if you're interested:

http://suessharedalbums.shutterfly.com/3239

Bali Hai is really nice, too. As you hear, lots of people prefer the north. But if you want to explore the island, like we do, it's nice being between the north and south areas.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 01:22
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
907 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

When trying to choose between timeshares, I usually reference the Timeshare Users Group website (tug2.com/rnr/ResortsGrid.aspx…). I read thru the reviews and note things that are important to me - you mentioned quality of the resort and proximity as two issues. The bare ratings from TUG are as follows -

bali hai 7.95

alii kai 8.13

kbv 8.24

pono kai 7.92

My personal fav would be Kauai Beach Villas, as I love that beach for walking - you can go for a mile or so without seeing anything but golden sand and blue waters. The units are large and it feels relatively secluded, compared to Princeville where there are so many complexes gathered all together. However I haven't been into the Princeville units so cannot say how the interiors compare.

If you are going to do little driving then choose the north shore, as the beauty there is unbeatable. If you are the exploring type then you may want to stay midisland, which while not nearly as picturesque as the north is still "not bad". Link to my picasa album of eastside beaches, several photos taken next to KBV - https:/…

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

I'd pick Alii Kai over the Wyndham if you decide on Princeville - my choice also.

It probably depends on which unit you get at either condo. The Wyndam has some newer units that look fairly nice, but I've never been in one. They won't have the views of some Alii Kai units. Alii Kai is an older complex, but has held up well, has some great views and many of the units are well taken care of.

On the downside, add close to a couple hours to your round trip drive time to Poipu or Waimea Canyon/Polihale if you stay in Princeville rather than Lihue. Unless I was heading South/West side more than twice in my 7 days, I'd still chose Princeville of the three. I'd spend at least 3 of my 7 days on the far side of the Hanalei Bridge.

Another downside to Princeville is limited dinner options. It's not much fun driving back from Poipu/Nawiliwili in the dark. There's a few good choices in Hanalei for dinner and maybe you can splurge you something at the St Regis one evening. If you're into cooking in the condo or grilling for a night, that makes thing easier (I think they have grills at Alii Kai?)

Another good dining option is the Hanalei Colony resort a bit down the road in haena.

Big plus of Princeville is you're within 20 minutes of so of at least 9 world class beaches

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

Here are some pictures inside the new units at Wyndham BAli Hai:

http://suessharedalbums.shutterfly.com/3868

I'm not sure if they've renovated all their older units yet, but there are lots of newer units. If you're going on an RCI exchange, you may or may not be getting an older unit. They're nicer inside then the KBV units, but I still choose the location of KBV over Princeville.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
354 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

We are going in March and staying our 1st week at Pono Kai and 2nd week at Kauai Beach Villas.

This will be our 6th stay at Pono Kai and we both love it. The Pono Kai lacks curb appeal, but once you are inside the grounds it all changes. The gardens at Pono Kai are beautiful and so soothing. The resort is older, but we have never ever had a problem with housekeeping issues. Our unit has always been clean and the customer service has always been great. We have had ocean front units and not ocean front and all have been fine. If you do decide on Pono Kai, get a 2 bedroom since there is a/c in the master bedroom and only in the living room of the 1 br. It is so convenient to walk through Kapaa town and just walk over to Ono Family Restuarant or to The Olympic Cafe or to The Eastside or go the other direction for a few blocks and Kauai Pasta is within walking distance. You are also right next door to The Pono Market where they have the best ever fried chicken!

Guess you can tell, it's about good food for me!!!

We are looking forward to our 2nd week at KBV, but have never stayed there before. We have stayed at Bali Hai and we were in the older units and they were very nice. I was concerned about no a/c, so requested a fan at check in and housekeeping brought us a brand new one that we never even took out of the box. We did make the mistake of going on a timeshare update(at Bali Hai) or whatever they call it for our $100 restaurant certificates, and got a really pushy sales person. Once she realized we were NOT going to buy, she just went off and left us and wouldn't go to redeem our certificates until the entire 90 minutes was up!!!!

Have fun....don't you love having to decide where to stay on that beautiful island of Kauai????!!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
907 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choices,Choices VS. Reviews

Sunchaser, and if you're trading in via Interval don't forget to fully utilize their flexchange option. 59 days prior to your check-in date keep checking Interval's database - you can trade your existing reservation in to ANYTHING that opens up. We've traded junk units into beautiful, multi-bedroom units at Four Seasons, Marriotts and Westins for the $99 upgrade fee.