We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers need advice.

Sland
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
First timers need advice.

We will be in Kauai for our first time Feb 24. - have rented a car and Poipu Beach condo. Arriving about 5pm. Questions: Is it better to shop at Costco(or other big box store by Lihue airport) before heading down to Poipu? Better selection there? A big price difference? We want to stock up on things and then get seriously lso, dinto relaxing!! Asoes anyone know where we would find those short legged Beach chairs? Thanks in advance for you help.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers need advice.

Question is, how many in your party and how long will you be there? Only you can decide if you think Costco is necessary for you. Sure Costco is cheaper but if you're having to buy too much for you then it's not worth it. The other big store nearby Costco is called Times Market. For non-Costco stores, on the way to Poipu, it's your best bet.

Cheap beach chairs can be purchased at Walmart or KMart. But hold up on that because many condos already have beach chairs. Previous guests buy them and leave them.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers need advice.

Have you checked with the condo owner to see what they already have before you buy things like beach chairs? Our experience has been that a lot of condos have coolers, beach chairs, etc.

Even with just the two of us, we stock up on a lot of items at the Costco and then fill in with items they don't carry or items that we don't need large quantities at the grocery store. Over two weeks, we use enough of a lot of items to make a trip to Costco worthwhile. We find that the prices there are comparable to here in Tucson on most items and we end up saving enough money to make the trip there worthwhile.

Sland
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers need advice.

Hey Thanks for your replies

Sorry should have been more specific. There are just two of us for two weeks. Had checked with the condo and unfortunately they dont have chairs. (Had we stayed there before they would - we have left them everywhere we go -lol). Does the Costco stay open later? and like the one in Maui does it have a wonderful alcohol aisle where you find all my fellow Canadians with eyes as wide as winter!

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers need advice.

I can relate to wanting to save wherever I can just so I can afford more activities or the next big trip.

You will only be saving the difference between a high cost store and a low cost store. Even 2 weeks won't add up to much savings.

I'm just recommending not to stress the little stuff.

I find the cost of Alcohol very inexpensive everywhere on the islands. Must be all the competition. But the gasoline prices makes up for it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers need advice.

We chose not to renew our Costco membership. We do not save the $50 fee, but we debated about rejoining before we left for Kauai. But we did not. In part because of advice we got here. When we have been members find only a few things we buy at Costco because of quantity. just two of us.

When we stay at Poipu, we typically get enough to get through that evening and next morn before we shop for week. Two groceries in Koloa have fairly good prices.

This trip we were at Kauai Beach Villas north of Lihue. We did that quick shop at Times Market then to the condo. Next day we shopped at grocery on Rice St in Lihue. Prices seemed a bit better than Times. Forget name, was it Save More??

r

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers need advice.

There are two of us.....and we pick up many things from Costco, and also some things from a regular grocery store.

Costco is easy stuff driving from the airport toward Poipu. stopping there would be not problem .

We pick up several things...

1. Inexpensive wine....Erica likes " Manage a Trois " California Napa County blend of Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon ( $ 8.00).

2. Prime or choice steaks...ribeye, or filet mignon ( marinade, season and bbq ) not cheap, but lordy, so good !

3...Austrailia lamb " chops "....sometimes we have to ask the butchers if they have any. Erica seasons them and we also use Mint Jelly ( mint jelly we buy at a market ). Nice thick tasty, and delicious.

4. We also pick up a package of FIESTA cubed frozen fruit. Combo of strawberries (not cubed ) , papaya, mango and pineapple. We use this mainly blended as a " smoothy " and add a fat free milk , banana, and a scoop or two of protien when we are working out. You probably do not need the protien. Or toss in some rum, for a home made tropical libation that actuall has some healthy apects to the recipe.

5. Papaya....and mango ( fresh ) sliced and in a plastic container. We can make smoothies, and Erica also picks up chicken breasts and makes a tasty mango chicken.

6. We have tried the packaged produce, greens, at Costco, and have found it does not last very well, and sometims already too old upon inspection by Erica at the market. We now get most of our baby greens in a plastic box from Tyme market.

7. Alaska Halibut. at Costco......she also inspects this , and can pick out some marvelous tasting fish.

Koloa Fish market in Koloa Town, all kinds of local fresh fish. Go EARLY, they run out early afternoon.

8. Alaska Crab Legs......also at Costco. You just pick out how many you want for what you think you will need.

Other items for your stay, you can pick up at one of our close by super markets.....Tyme is very near Costco, and Big Save is in Koloa Town, just a few minutes drive from Poipu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short sand chairs.....can be rented at Brenneckes Beach Center across from Poipu Beach. Cheap. Plus if you decide to book an activity, and use Brenneckes Beach Center ( downstairs from the restaurant ) I believe you get a 50% discount on any beach rentals at Nukumoi Surf Shop next door.

We had many wonderful years of visits staying at Poipu Kai, and we still go to poipu beach for fun and frolic. Wonderful beach park for bbqing, and swimming and snorkeling and wading, and laying in the sun.

Enjoy !

Denny

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers need advice.

The last time the two of us went for only 2 weeks we went to Costco. We got steaks, poke, drinks and a pizza. The pizza was so big it couldn't fit in the small oven we had so we had to cut it into pieces. It was such a huge pizza it lasted for several meals and was actually kind of boring as it was just filled with tons of meat. I believe we threw some of it out because it didn't last long in the fridge. The steaks were amazing but because it's Costco you have to buy so many of them ( and they were very thick) that we had them for lunch, breakfast and dinner and again kind of got tired of it.

My point is it's not like buying at Costco at home. You are not going to be freezing the items to use over a long period. You are going to be eating the same items for so many meals when there is just two of you so you don't waste the food. I live in California and I found the prices at Safeway (just be sure to get their discount card) was not that much different from home. You also will have to go to another grocery store anyway as you just can't get small amounts of the other items you are going to need.

Oh and yes they do have the alcohol section in Costco. Now when we stayed for a month we ended up getting many items at Costco but watch out. Some of their prices are not really that great of a deal. For example coffee. I found it was more expensive at Costco per pound than I could get it at WalMart, KMart or even at the grocery stores on sale.

Sland
Level Contributor
91 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers need advice.

All good points - Thanks for your input Folks.

17 more sleeps!! We just had a foot of snow overnight - I'm ready

9. Re: First timers need advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 20:17