We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

We are staying in Po'ipu and are wondering if there is a market to buy fresh fish near by. We have read about the market on the north side, but are wondering about options on the south side.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

Koloa Fish Market is the best place to buy fresh fish near Poipu. It;s located in Koloa Road across from the post office.

Koloa Fish Market

5482 Koloa Road, Koloa, HI 96756

(808) 742-6199 ‎

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

Koloa as martik said is great place for fresh fish. Another place that I have found really fresh fish and well priced fish is Sueoka Store also in Koloa town. You'll see Sueoka's as you drive through Koloa on your way to Poipu.

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

Thank you! We are so looking forward to eating grilled fresh fish on our lanai! We plan on spending more money on experiences than on dining so any tips are helpful!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

If those two don't have what you want, stop at Fish Express in Lihue across from Walmart on the main highway. They usually have a good selection.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live here in the Po'ipu - Koloa area and there are 3 places that I like to buy my fish (2 of them already mentioned) --

Koloa Fish Market -Old Koloa town - more expensive, but large choices of fish and cut to order - also plate lunches, bentos, etc.

Sueoka Store - they get their fish fresh every morning at their back door from the fishermen - I tend to buy my fish here more frequently than any of the others - because they always seem to have just the right amount for me!

Kukui'ula Market - on Po'ipu Rd. across from the fire station - they also get their fish fresh from the fishermen - very fresh and good - but not as much selection as the other two. However, they have tons of home-made goodies such as bentos, make sushi, kulolo and other local goodies as well.

Any of these 3 would be great places to buy fish here in the Po'ipu area IMO!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

We just got back from the fish express.....

Ono, Ahi, and maybe four steaks off what was left of local swoard fish.

That was the selection for the day.

I was a little disappointed in that I was hoping for Opah, or Opakapaka, but they get what the fishermen catch.

They also have a great take out menu, and we will be able to alternate between Marks Place for great plate lunches, and the Fish Express.

If we were in Poipu, we would go to the Koloa Fish Market, early. Just a bit too far for us to drive for fish, since Fish Express is closer. But for those in poipu, perfect.

Denny

7. Re: Fresh Fish near Po'ipu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2012, 17:16