We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

Redlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

We are a family of four travelling to Kauai for 6nights in September and have to choose between the Westin Princeville (island view)and the Outrigger(ocean view)? Has anyone got any tips of what would be the better choice? Both the children are 5 and under. Cost between the two doesn't matter as long as it is worth the stay. This is a treat for the family so we are very excited but also trying to establish what would be the best accomodation. Any comments greatly appreciated.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

We leave for Waipouli on Sunday. I'll get back to you. A friend stayed there for a few days and absolutely loved it. We chose it mostly for it's pools and central location, although the units themselves look amazing too.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

We love both properties, but there are differences. The Westin POV is on a cliff, high above the ocean on the north shore. There is no beach access, unless you hike down a steep trail, but you can drive less than 5 minutes to Anini Beach, or take the shuttle down to the St Regis Princeville and use the beach there. Westin guests are welcome, as they are both Starwood properties. We are going back to the Westin POV in May for our 5th visit, and the beach issue is not a problem for us, as we are mostly pool people. We can hear and see the ocean, which works just fine with us! There are 3 pools, with the main pool having the little 'keiki' pool with a small slide and turtles that squirt water. There is bar/lunch service at the pool, and we've eaten in the restaurant Nanea several times and the food and service are wonderful.

The Outrigger Waipouli is on a beach on the east shore of the island, but the beach is not swimmable because of rough surf and rocks. However, their meandering-style pool makes up for it. The units are beautiful, just as the Westin's are. The good news is it's right across the street from the Safeway shopping center.....the bad new is it's right across the street from the Safeway shopping center. It 's on the main highway, which won't be a noise issue for you if you're in an ocean view unit. They also have a pool bar with food.

Honestly, either property is great.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

weluv gave you a nice overview of both properties. If I were going to stay 6 days, I'd pick the Waipouli Beach Resort -- because having an ocean view lanai is important to me and also the east side location makes it pretty easy to visit all sides of the island. Yes, the main highway is right there, but actually not close at all from oceanfront units. And the main highway is only a two lane road -- not some multi-lane monster.

Redlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

Thanks for your help and information it gives us something to work off since this is our first time in Hawaii. We also have a week in Ohau so have to decide for there as well. My kids love both the beac h and pool so at least we know now that the Outrigger is not actually a swimmable beach. We will have a hire car for a few days as well so we can get around.

Thanks again

Karen

Redlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

That would be fantastic if you could. Yes the pools look great. I hope you have a lovely time.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

We arrived at Wiapouli Beach resort last night. WOW, I am loving it so far. The resort is not the massive complex I thought it would be. The room is fantastic, as are the grounds. We are in E105 which is sort of near the road, but noise is a nonm-issue, and I am picky about that. The unit is very luxurious, and the bathrooms and kitchen are great. IMO they wasted square footage in the huge bathroom layouts but whatever. The bedrooms are fine size-wise. Our unit has 4 sliding glass windows which makes us feel outside when all of the windows are opened up. Noise from above is minimal. The pool area looks fun, and we are going down after I post this. I have not tried the restaurant yet here but did view the menu. It is not huge and most items were $10-$20, The sandy part of the beach is not very deep but nobody was on it as it was pouring yesterday. It is super clowdy today but who cares, I am in paradise and going to be wet anyways. The location is great for us. Safeway and Starbucks etc.. are right across the street, and Kapa'a is a cute town. Lots of small shops and restaurants. Not too big, not too small for me. Please post specific questions and a unit number if you like and I can do a walk-by.

Edited: 21 February 2011, 19:55
Redlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

Wow sounds good, does it look pretty kid friendly to you? It sounds pretty reasonable foodwise to. I don't know but can you actually siwim at that beach?

Johnstown, Colorado
Level Contributor
356 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

We are thinking of booking at Waipouli - is it kid friendly for a 10 and 8 year old? Are beaches close by that are swimmable? Thanks for any info you can provide! And enjoy your stay in paradise - I am so jealous...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

about a mile and half south you have Lydgate park which has a rocked in swimming area and lifeguards + a big playground. that's the closest "safe" spot for swimming. No spot is always safe though just as few spots are never swimable. You have to evaluate conditions everywhere at all times.

the giant pool at Waipouli is very kid friendly. Swimming at that beach is not very safe though. No reef protection. You might get away with it in dead calm weather but most would tell you it's not a good spot for swimming.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Princeville Ocean Resort vs Outrigger Waipouli Beach

Stayed at WBR a couple years ago and we loved it as a family with 3 young kids, very kid friendly. Yes, the only negative is the beach, very rocky so you can't swim but it makes for nice walks. We went to other great beaches nearby. It's a good deal for a beautiful condo with awesome pools, my kids went down those slides countless times. have fun, aloha!