We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting married on the west shore Kekaha

Anchorage Alaska
3 posts
Save Topic
getting married on the west shore Kekaha

Has anyone had any experiences with getting married in west shore kauai? I'm planning a wedding/reception at a rental house on the beach and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experiences on the matter? Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

What time of year? What time of day? How many people? Formal/informal?

Any specific spot in mind?

Any specific concerns?

The more you can give people to work with, the more they can help you.

My only thought is those beaches have a reputation for being blazing hot in summer in the day time. And the area is fairly remote and undeveloped relative to the rest of the island. That might lead to people driving half an hour or so from Poipu if they want to stay closer to the action.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The West Side is a beautiful place to be married - much less touristy than any other part of the island and the beaches are amazingly beautiful! The West Side is, at any time of the year, the warmest and driest part of the island as well - but unless you are getting married out at Polihale State Park (where there is little shade) - I wouldn't worry about it being too hot for you though.

Here is a thread from a short while ago about someone who was wanting to have a bachlorette party out in the Waimea area - might have some info for you in it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60627-i2008-k4190…

The West Side isn't for everyone - it is rural and much more of a community rather than geared strictly towards visitors and visitor geared amenities (no fancy, upscale restaurants and shopping areas) - but it is a very special part of this island - very beautiful and with wonderful folks who live there. If you are someone who can appreciate this - you will love it!

Are you renting someplace at Waimea Plantation Cottages or one of the vacation rental homes along the ocean?

Malama Pono,

Janet

Anchorage Alaska
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

I'm planning to get married at a beach/ocean front rental in kekaha in november. very informal. My fiance and I were in kauai last november and loved the west side. We picked the west to have the best chance of sunny weather to accomadate a backyard bbq reception. it will be very informal/casual. I love the idea of getting married on the west shore but am a little bit apprehensive of what out of town guests will think. I'm hoping everyone has fun for the four days that we want to rent a property.

Anchorage Alaska
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

Thanks for your input on west side! Just wanted to make sure that wedding do happen on west side , because i see soo many posts about getting married on the north shore/south shore and virtually nothing about the west shore. and i wanted to make sure that there are venues, florists, rental chair rental type businesses for weddings atleast close to kekaha in waimea. I know that it is remote but that is one of the reasons I'm drawn to that location. any insights would be greatly appreciated! is it possible to get married at a private beach rental in kekaha??

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,898 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

People get married all over the island. I've seen people getting married at the top of waterfalls, at the bottom of waterfalls, sitting on surfboards in the water, north side, south side, west side. Anything goes.

As far your private rental allowing it you'll have to ask them directly. Some privately owned rentals do prohibit large gatherings or parties. So if that's your first choice, just ask them. If they say no, ask them for their recommendation for a venue nearby that they may know of. They're probably your best source for all of this information.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, since you are already familiar with the West Side and enjoy it - that is great! I love it also and it is actually my favorite part of the island.

"venues, florists, rental chair rental type businesses for weddings atleast close to kekaha in waimea."

I'm afraid that there are no florists or rental chair type businesses either in Kekaha or Waimea - the closest florist would be in Kalaheo at the "Kalaheo Florists" at 2-2494 Kaumualii Highway,Kalaheo, HI 96741...(808) 332-6300.

I'd maybe call the Waimea Plantation Cottages for recommendations on both florists and rental chairs - they very frequently host large weddings and receptions and would have all the information about who they use for these.

Their phone number is: (808) 338-1625

You should definitely speak to the owner or manager of your rental to ask about allowing a wedding party at the spot - many of them limit or don't allow parties.

I think you've chosen the most lovely place on Kaua'i to be married personally - everyone has their "favorite" part of the island and the West Side is very special - definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but for those who appreciate just how special it is - a wonderful place and if I were going to be married - I'd definitely choose the West Side!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

You might want to contact Marlene Mira of Mira Mira Events, as she is a wedding coordinator based on the West Side and would be the person most in the know about weddings on the west side. I'm a wedding officiant and I've done weddings all over the island. Where ever you decide to have it, people will come and things will be delivered.

Since most vacation rental owners would be concerned about damage and liability in the case of a large event happening on their property, definitely make sure it will be cool with them. If there are close neighbors, they might also be concerned about noise, rubbish, etc.

Kekaha has a nice picnic and barbeque area right there alongside the beach and highway, for informal gatherings. Maybe not the wedding reception, but other gatherings over there, for when you don't have the house.

I saw your private message and replied to it. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

8. Re: getting married on the west shore Kekaha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:17