We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we snorkel in early March?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we snorkel in early March?

We'll be arriving on Kauai the first week of March, staying on the east side. We love to snorkel, but have not done it on this island before. What are likely to be the best spots? (We'll be on the island almost two weeks and have an SUV reserved)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

For sure Po`ipu and Lawa`i on the south shore. Probably Lydgate east side. Possibly Ke`e, Anini, Tunnels north shore.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

We're on island now. Usually south is the better place to snorkel this time of year, but so far this year north has been just as good (unusual for this time of year). You'll want to check the surf and visibility reports on http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/ and go accordingly. If visibility and surf is down at the north beaches (like Hanalei---they tend to list the surfing beaches up north not the snorkeling beaches, so if surf is good for surfing, it's not good for snorkeling) go north to Anini, Tunnels or Kee (it also helps if it's low tide, at least north). If conditions aren't good for going north, head south to Poipu, Lawai, or Saltpond (the far corner of the bay). I've been adding pictures daily to my "live report", many of the pictures are from the various places we go to snorkel. We, too, love to snorkel (at least I do). For a quick trip on the East side, Lydgate isn't bad, either. If it's only about 1' surf on the east side (which isn't often this time of year) Moloaa on the East side is nice, too (far left side). You're going to love snorkeling here!

Edited: 22 February 2011, 08:35
Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

We were just there and had an awesome experience at Tunnels beach. Great diversity it is located just west of Hanalei. There were very few crowds

Our snorkeling here was the highlight of our trip. Bring your own gear or rent back in Hanalei or Princeville as I did not see a facility right there

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

You can rent snorkel gear in Kapaa or Poipu, too. But we bring our own. By the time you rent for a couple weeks, you could buy your own.

Tunnels is great, but do check the surf report. This trip there's been few surf advisories, but often in Feb./March there are high surf advisories north.

Enumclaw, WA
Level Contributor
823 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

Hmmm....Moloa'a you say? Hubby and I usually head to the right when we go there. Next time we'll have to head left when the conditions are right!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

The right side of Moloaa during Feb. was still pretty rough, but one day we happened upon 1' seas on the East coast and gave it a try. It was a beautiful beach----not a lot of fish, but the water was extremely clear the day we were there and we had the place almost to ourselves. The left side (as you're looking at the water) creates a little reef rimmed area, but there was a pretty good current at the right side of it pretty near the shore. As long as we stayed in the protected bay area, it was really calm.

7. Re: Where should we snorkel in early March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:17