We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach Resort

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Beach Resort

Which of the major, luxury resorts is set ON the nicest, most tranquil, swimmable, non-rocky beach? My wife and I are used to vacationing in the Caribbean and while we understand that the beaches of Hawaii are totally different, we are interested in which Hawaiian beach and resort would be most similar to what we like.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach Resort

I'm no expert, but I'd say if you're "used to" Caribbean beaches/water then you may want to look into staying at one of the many nice resorts on the west/southwest side of Maui. There are more than enough to pick from and visit on your stay.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach Resort

The two luxury resorts on Kauai would be the Hyatt and the Princeville. Neither of them has a real great beach, although the Princeville is calmer because of reef protection. You can always walk or drive to a nicer, sandy beach though.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach Resort

I would consider the Sheraton Kauai for the best beach. This is NOT a 4 star hotel, but if you get an oceanFRONT room it will be quite nice. Also, as long as you don't pay rack rates, it is much less expensive than the Princeville or the Hyatt.

Hope this helps.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach Resort

Just to add a little note to teh Sheraton recommendation....Only stay there if you get an ocean front or ocean view because the garden view rooms are dismal and set far back and are across the road from teh front desk. It's an odd feeling you get when you are assigned to that section of the hotel.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach Resort

When I was comparing prices last year the oceanfront Sheraton rooms were about the same price as the Hyatt gardenview rooms. In my mind there is no comparison between the two hotels, with the Hyatt coming out way ahead. At the Sheraton, it is true, you can get much closer to the beach. But why try to duplicate the Caribbean experience? Embrace your inner Hawaiian and stay somewhere different.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach Resort

I will return to Kauai in April. My oceanfront room at the Sheraton is $303/night and the Hyatt "garden view" room is $364/night. Keep in mind that the Hyatt's idea of "garden view" is frequently a view of the parking lot. If you're looking for a great pool, the Hyatt can't be beat. If you're looking for a great beach where you can actually swim in the ocean, then the Sheraton is an excellent choice.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach Resort

I keep seeing FRONT in bold in reference to ocean rooms at the Sheraton. Is this the same as the ocean view rooms? On expedia, I don't see any option for ocean FRONT rooms at the sheraton.

Hercules, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach Resort

There's a big difference between ocean front and ocean view. You can see the ocean from 2 miles away, and you'd pay a premium for this type of room. But an ocean front room is as close as a few steps from the beach. I'd check Sheraton's website and see what you can get from there.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
283 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach Resort

I agree with the last post here. If you check the Sheraton web site, they have a map that will show you the location of oceanfront vs. ocean view. Oceanfront looks far superior to me. Also, there have been MANY complaints on the Forum about the poor quality of the Sheraton garden view rooms. Are the ocean view rooms of this same poor quality? I don't know.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beach Resort

Agree with the previous post re: the princeville. The beach is not that great. Very calm and VERY scenic, but not great for much else. There is a reef which makes it impossible to just play in the water. snorkeling is decent though if you know where to go.