We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Polihale

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Polihale

Wooooohooooo-in only 17 more days we will be on the most wonderful island in the world......but, I digress...

How's the road to Polihale? Can we make it out to the beach in just any rental car. Once we tried to get there in a mustang and ended up turning around. We both love Polihale!

Grand Bend, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Polihale

We just got back from Kauai and we love Polihale too! Kauai as had a lot of rain lately and the road is ugly. We rented a Ford Focus and had to turn back just past the first little bridge. We asked a guy in a 4 wheel vehicle and he said that we would never make it through. We waited a few more days and tried it again. It was still very wet with lots of axle deep mud but a guy coming out thought that we would make it as long as we stayed in the grooves made by the other vehicles. Despite my meltdown halfway through, we made it. Unfortunately, it poured rain by the time that we got there and we turned back pretty quickly since we didn't need any more rain turning the road into a quagmire. Since the road had been closed for such a long time for "improvements" we thought that it would be better but it looks like they widened it a little and put in a small bridge but, other than that, it's the same old road. Good luck!

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Polihale

wilsb, maybe we can get together on our next trip to Sunny Sarnia!

Sartell, Minnesota
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Polihale

Just a quick thread hijack: Can you park somewhere and WALK the road to Polihale instead of risk the drive? Thanks.

Grand Bend, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Polihale

It would be a long walk, about 5 miles!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Polihale

I have friends who just drove out to Polihale this last weekend - a large group - each had their own car. The 4wd vehicles made it fine, but one friend drove in with a rental car and the mud guard on the front of her car got ruined. She's not sure of the cost if the rental company discovers it... The recent winter rain really tore up the road.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 18:41
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Polihale

Aloha from Kaua'i"!

Yes, we went in last Sunday and it was really bad - we have a truck with 4WD so no real problems - but I don't think I saw a rental car driving out there at that time - it was pretty darn early in the a.m.

Do be advised that there is a sign put up by the State Parks Division at the entrance saying "4WD vehicles only beyond this point" - so that pretty much negates your rental car contract if you run into problems.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Polihale

Update: March 6

We just drove the road today in a Jeep. If you have a bit of experience with driving offroad you will be fine with 4x4. There are about three spots that may scare you. Actually the first 50 feet may scare you, but you will make it.

When you have a choice, stay AWAY from the "ditch" side. It's more of a small river. Pick the other side and stay safe. Go slow and let people pass you.

We did see someone heading down the road at about 5pm in a minivan. She looked like she knew what she was doing, but I wouldn't chance it.

Was it worth it? Oh yes, what a beautiful place, including endless whale sightings.

Tip: Don't try to drive on the beach unless you have the right tires.

8. Re: Road to Polihale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 19:17