We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

We are creatures of habit and always look forward to our favorite eats and treats while on Kauai. Are all of these places still worth it? Any we need to mark off the list? Any we need to add to the list? Here's a few of our faves in no particular order...

Pono Market for plate lunches and fried chicken. Plus, there are these little sweet treats(filled little pastries) they run out of early in the day...starts with an m....

Tropical Dreams Ice Cream-Did he move to Kapaa or did I read once where Pono Market now has this ice cream?

Jo-Jo's Aneunue

The Taro Chip place

Hamura's-DH loves the saimen...I go for the lilikoi pie!

Lihue BBQ Inn

Kauai Pasta-only been to the one in Kapaa

Olympic Cafe

Roy's

The Steakhouse in Princeville(can't remember the name)

Duke's

Kalapaki Beach Hut-usually do breakfast

A few other places we are thinking of are:

The Eastside-never been

Hukilau Lanai-only been once

Ono-Char Burger-and take our burger to the beach

The place that was previously Gaylord's

Kintaro-never been

Tip Top-only been once

In the past, we have found the best liquor deals at KMart? Where are the best wine deals? Of course, we will stop at Costco for sunscreen, soft drinks, water, and POG and probably some wine. What else from there do we need to pick up?

I realize I'm just rambling, but we contracted Kauaitis in 2003 and just cannot rid ourselves of it!!!

Did I mention it's only 17 more days!!!!!!

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

My wife and I went to Hukilau Lanai last summer for our tenth anniversary, and couldn't have had a better dinner. The waitstaff was fantastic and the food was delicious. It's a great place for dinner. Looking forward to taking some family there on our next trip in 2012.

California
Level Contributor
37,007 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

Dan has not moved his Tropical Ice Cream yet and Pono Mkt does have ice cream but its Roselani.

All the places you mentioned are still there. The steakhouse in Princeville is called CJ's. In that same center are a few new take out places for mexican and thai, both very good.

Since you are stopping at Costco, I would pick up the wine there. I think their prices are very good as well as Longs.

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

We like the teppan yaki at Kintaro's --great steak and lobster! Start with the Hanalei rolls. You need reservations..

Other places in that area that we like are Monico's for fish tacos and Ono Family Restaurant for breakfast.

Roy's is always good Gaylords is now 22North--had lunch there.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

The filled pastries are malasadas.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,776 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

Kintaro is excellent, but go early. They're mobbed every night.

I have a suggestion to add to your list - TC's Island Grill in the center of the Coconut Marketplace. Good, cheap, fast with lots of local-kine food. Great fish plates. Their fish and chips is tempura-style and not as greasy as many.

denville, nj
Level Contributor
711 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

The taro chip factory in Hanapepe was still there as of October. Love their chips

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

Where are you staying? I would add Merriman's, consider Red Salt, I didn't see Tidepools or Dondero's, Mark's Place, Tip Top Cafe, Market Street Diner, Bubba's Burgers, Joe's on the Green or the Beach House.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

Nothing wrong with rambling...I do it all the time :-)

You might add to the list IMHO:

Breakfast at Ono Family Restaurant. Even better than Olympic Cafe which we really like.

da Imu Hut in Hanapepe. Local plates with Kalua Pig or Teriyaki Chicken or Pork so, so good. Take to-go plates over to Salt Pond to watch the sunset with your favorite beverage.

A whole Lilikoi Chiffon Pie from Wong's (across from da Imu Hut) if you have a fridge.

Mark's Place in Puhi for local plate lunch - he's famous for Chicken Katsu.

Hanalima Baking in Puhi - all kinds of baked goodies plus a breakfast grill - terrific Loco Moco. Go early in the morning.

Anahola Farmer's Market for BBQ wild boar on Sat & Sun - do not miss it!

Shivalik Indian Cusine in Waipouli by Foodland. Lunch buffet is excellent!

Edit - must agree with pzp about TC's Island Grill, yummy Ono (fish) burgers with nice side salad - try the papaya seed dressing!

Now I'm hungry....

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 02 March 2011, 00:26
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

Can't tell what part of the island you are staying. We also like Plantation Gardens, Keoki's Paradise, Tomcats, Wishing Well Shave ice.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are our favorite "eat's" still good?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The "Taro Ko Chip Factory" is still located in the same little ranshackle home in old town Hanapepe that it always has been - it has apparently gone "upscale" (TIC!) - because they were selling T-shirts about a month ago - lol!

Tip Top Cafe still has the best local breakfast around IMO - love their omlettes and my hubby loves the pancakes - great "local" ambiance as well (meaning pretty much none!) - but friendly faces and great food at super great prices!

Malama Pono,

Janet