We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

seattle
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
safety

Is it safe to walk the beaches at night?Any areas to shy away from?Any tips on who not to trust?...Thanks for any advice

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,091 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

I've never had any problems, but I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

We stay near Lawai Beach and at night the locals gather, play music and sing and drink beer. (There's always a load of empties in the morning )

Walked there many nights and never had any problems. Everyone was very friendly.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

There is much more for the criminals and thugs to do on Oahu. We felt 100% safe at all times on Kauai.

NE PA
Level Contributor
948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

One of the great things we like about Kauai is that we've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable in any area at any time. Much unlike the Caribbean islands we've vacationed on where you don't always feel secure especially outside of the resort areas.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

The only hint of crime I saw was a few teenagers smoking some pot in Koloa. They mentioned it was also for sale. I mentioned I was a cop on the mainland so it was a very short conversation. It's not true but it ended the sales pitch very quickly.

seattle
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

good to hear...have been warned on certain carribean islands not to wander at night...kinda takes away from the whole feel of the place...don't mind people partying at all...muggings and such are my only concerns