We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailua public golf course

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Wailua public golf course

We are a group of 4 planning on golfing this course later this month, probably on Thursday March 17. I have a few questions I was hoping somebody could help answer:

1 - They only allow reservations 7 days in advance...knowing the island gets a lot of rain, are we "locked in" to our tee time or can we cancel without penalty, say the day of, if it's too rainy to go?

2 - Club rentals: we will need to rent clubs, are they decent quality or beat up? Also does each bag include an umbrella or should we bring that along?

3 - Our group is very amateur, nobody is that great...how long should it take to play 18 holes at a slightly slower than normal pace? We plan on starting mid-to-late morning.

If there's another (better) option on this island, I'm open to suggestions - we're looking to spend $100-120 pp including club rentals MAX. This course fits the bill. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailua public golf course

I am not a golfer, but my husband and a friend played this course last year.

Kukuiolono Golf Course

Puu Rd, Kalaheo, Hawaii 96741

(808) 332-9151 ‎

It was extemely dry in October and the greens weren't in great shape, but since the weather has been rainy, I bet it looks beautiful now. I just asked him about the clubs he rented and he said they were older, but okay. For the price you can't beat it. Its like $10?

He has also played Wailua and likes it alot. It is a nice muni course.

Mentioned in this post
Kukuiolono Golf Course
Kukuiolono Golf Course
172 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailua public golf course

Another course you might consider is Kiahuna Golf Course in Poipu. Of the three mentioned, I like this one the best. There are great views and it's a nice 18 hole course for any handicap. We've played this one for years. We took the kids to Wailua a couple of years back and my only warning is that a lot of the residents play here. They play pretty fast and they'll want to play through if you are too slow. We rented clubs at both locations and I think the clubs are better at Kiahuna. Also, Joe's on the Green is right there and is a great spot to stop and have lunch or a quick snack between the front and back nines. Also, Wailua only takes cash for the greens fees; the pro-shop does take credit cards for club rentals. You might check with both locations on tee times and cancellations. We have played numerous times in the rain, all over the island. It's part of the charm of playing on Kauai.

kiahunagolf.com/kiahunagolf/…

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailua public golf course

They will probably give you a raincheck, unless you have to leave before you can use it. We only rented clubs there one time and were not impressed -- they were pretty old and beat up. And bring your own umbrella. Martik is right, they have marshalls there and if you substantially slow down play, they'll probably get after you. But if you can play 18 holes in 4 - 4/12 hours, you'll probably have no trouble. Just make sure your group understands how to play "ready" golf.

Another course option you might consider is Puakea in Lihue. It is generally kept in much better condition than Wailua and is a little easier on golfers that are not long hitters. It is a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. You'll also get better rental clubs there.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Yakima, Wa.
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailua public golf course

If you are only playing one course, I would second the recomendation of Puakea. Played it a week ago Sunday with friends that did not bring clubs so they had to rent. At that time, Puakea was offering thier twilight rate for any time throughout the day including cart and a discount on club rental. Early tee times are usually much more expensive. Our friends were able to scrounge up coupons in the local newspaper and in a flier handed out at thier hotel for free club rental. The clubhouse honored these coupons even with the special green fee rates. This made the total cost very comperable to Wailua for a much nicer course IMO. We teed off at 8:30am and the pace of play was much more relaxing then either Wailua or Lagoons. Not sure if they are still offering this special, but worth a try. Good luck and have a great time in Kauai

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailua public golf course

Call them directly? Wailua Golf Course

808 241-6666

saves the guesswork.

You could also try the Golf Shop on Rice street for rentals

www.golflink.com/golf-stores/golf-shop.aspx…

they might rent if you're leery of the course rental clubs.

Pua Kea is another course that's more reasonable. Might try them for a package for 4 as well.

Mentioned in this post
Wailua Golf Course
Wailua Golf Course
117 Reviews
Kauai, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailua public golf course

And don't be bashful to negotiate at other courses. I don't know if Wailua has any flex as they are county owned, but the others need the biz. Ask what they can do for 4 with rental/carts etc as a package and see what they say. Never hurts to just respond "our budget is X" if their price is steamy. Worst they can say is no.

Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Yakima, Wa.
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailua public golf course

Great advise Dave. Never thought of trying that, but why not? I do know thier business must be down considerably. Tee times were much easier to get this year than they were on our trip in 2009.

California
Level Contributor
9,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailua public golf course

Like Martik, my husband and grandson like Kiahuna Golf Course. Right now twilight rates (beginning at 2:00) are $124, which includes clubs, and you can make reservations 30 days out.

9. Re: Wailua public golf course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 08:17