We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for evening entertainment

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
702 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for evening entertainment

I've cashed in some frequent flyer miles for my first trip to Kauai at the end of February, beginning of March. I travel on a budget (a spend all of my money on scuba dives), and enjoy spending time getting to know locals. I enjoy listening to music in the evenings, whether it is Waikiki street musicians, or chanting on the beach, or sitting at the bar in Lahaina town listening to Willie K. What's the entertainment scene like?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,006 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

This might help:

http://calendar.hvcb.org/kauai/

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

ther isnt any.....it is very serene.....a couples place whrn the sun goes down.... the bar in your hotel is the best bet......locals have their own places.....locals only.

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

Aloha honu, there are several hotels and hot spots to visit in Kauai and as for this "local's only" remark forget it. I never felt unwelcomed in anyway. HD needs to get out more.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
702 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

I'm not afraid of getting the stink eye, but I stand out as a big, haole. How welcome are tourists at the Hanalei Community Center for the Friday afternoon and Sunday evening $10 Slack Key concerts?

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

Mostly tourists at the concerts. Go - enjoy yourself. Buy a drink for HD, he needs one!

carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

Aloha, tourist are always welcome at local events heck it's Hawaii. HD knows the locals love to mingle.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

Oh - Honu-Lover - you'll miss Willie K on Kauai by just a couple of weeks!

You might be interested in some of the local music scene listed on Mele.com - the link to the calendar is http://mele.com/ConcertCalendar.cgi

There are also several musicians who live on Kauai who do pop in to play in some of the little joints like Tahiti Nui now and then.

Watch the local newspaper and also the little field where Kuhio Hwy and Kapule, Hwy meet near Hanamaulu. If something's up, there's usually a sign there.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
702 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for evening entertainment

All packed - two swim suits, two tee shirts, sun screen, and old flip flops from ABC in Honolulu for $2. I got Willie K on my iPod. Just standing in the front of the mirror, practicing my alooooha smile. 18 hours on planes and waiting in airports, but I be in Kapa`a on Tuesday, 28 Feb. Got my new black hat from TripAdvisor.com for too many blogs, so look for the hat for that free drink.