We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to do........

Pa
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What not to do........

We went to Queens Bath of a high surf day!! There were 30ft. waves crashing into the lava shelf. It was amazing to see natures power. If you dare to go down on a day like this, please be very careful!!! The waves crash where you aren't expecting them to!! Please stay FAR back!!! It was extremely dangerous!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xMOLRNSXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAZOPRK7YQw

www.flickr.com/photos/mish21/5556274304/

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What not to do........

We just got back from two weeks in Hawaii. Week 1 we were on Kauai and went down to Queens Bath. From what we can tell, Some local kids were daring one kid to go down into this one spot which was absolutely deadly. I truly thought we were going to see some kid die. Very scary. The actual swim hole was quite calm but behind the big rock structure was definitely anything but. Common sense is very important in situations like this.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What not to do........

"Some local kids were daring one kid to go down into this one spot which was absolutely deadly. I truly thought we were going to see some kid die."

Another stupid dare:

…sfgate.com/2011-03-11/bay-area/28678589_1_m…

What happened to the days of past when a triple dog dare only meant sticking your tongue on a metal pole in the winter?

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What not to do........

<<Common sense is very important in situations like this.>>

Common sense would have been not to go down in the first place, when someone knew there were high surf warnings and had read the threads on the dangers at Queen's Bath during the winter. Stupid kids are one thing......

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What not to do........

Those were just some angry 6 footers in those videos. You should see it when they really are 30' plus. You can't get near the warning plaque.

The guy in the 2nd video was still fortunate not get hurt. I figured he saw it coming after the previous wave.

It's really not a good idea to venture out on the rocks unless it's a flat day (no waves).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What not to do........

Good grief. Glad we're not reading about you in the paper. Just going down there in those conditions is asking for trouble.

Florence, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: What not to do........

Thats a bot of an odd thing to say. I personally am like a fly to a lamp, and percisely those things are what makes me want to be closer, to touch the water, to feel mother natures raw energy on my skin. But I do agree- not for the feint hearted.

Pa
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What not to do........

This is a what not to do video...........(and no this isn't me in it or taking)

www.youtube.com/watch…

California
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What not to do........

Jeez! Is the next one you're going to show us of the two woman from Colorado killed two years ago? I guess then FranklynITA will go down to QB for sure.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,091 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What not to do........

Flies have very little brain power. 'Nuff said.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What not to do........

I have never gone down there. Just curious, is there a warning sign noting the danger at the top of the trail?