We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name of Beach

new york
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Name of Beach

what is the name of the beach across the street from the dry caves . there is a parking area, lifeguard ,homeless people in tents and a back drop of Bali Hai ?

I've always thought this was tunnels beach . If it's not is Tunnels before this ?

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name of Beach

Haena State Beach. Those "homeless" people might be campers. It is a very popular spot for camping. When I was there in October there were 3 local families having a wonderful weekend together. I like this beach and its an easy walk down to Tunnels. Tunnels is before this area.

There is also a truck that sells snacks and shave ice and 2 guys selling coconuts they cut right there for you. Occassionally the banana bread girl is there. If she is, buy her breads. They are very good.

new york
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name of Beach

Banana Bread..mmmm. I have never seen her there. Maybe they r campers. LOL . Im from NY city and am used to seeing homeless. I happen to love the back drop of this beach . Everybody raves about Tunnels so I thoughtI would try it on my upcoming trip.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name of Beach

If you really want to go to Tunnels, I would suggest parking here. I found the parking for Tunnels sooo difficult due to the limited availability of spots. We also stopped at this beach during our stay a few weeks ago. Loved it!!!

I MISS KAUAI!!!!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name of Beach

Definitely consider parking at Haena Beach and walking back to Tunnels Beach. You can walk along the beach, sand can be hot in Summer, I walked along the roadway, the shoulder was usually wide enough. Last summer an enterprising young man was selling parking spaces in a field on Mauna side of the road halfway between Tunnels and Haena. I think he was charging $10-$15 .

new york
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name of Beach

selling public parking spots ...he must be from NY . That really burns me. I see that all the time in bronx near Yankee stadium

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Name of Beach

Another great place to find banana bread is across from the Menehune Market in Kilauea when the Bread Lady is there.

There is one classic dude at Haena--the Chicken Man. I've seen him in the same cross-legged pose for what seemed to be hours, and the chickens surround him . . . but never seem to disturb him.

Some may regard him as a homeless guy. Others may see him as another manifestation of the unique vibe of the North Shore.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name of Beach

Suki,

You going to opening day?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name of Beach

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Are you still talking about Kaua'i?

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Name of Beach

If the guy was selling parking in the field, that is certainly private land. Since it is zoned agricultural, probably not a legal use, but better than developing million dollar homes like across the street.

If it's the field I'm thinking of, I used to see a donkey and oter animals in there, very cute an pituresque.

10. Re: Name of Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:22