We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canyon

Tacoma, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
canyon

can anyone tell me about hiking the canyon? can we take e rental car there? how long a hike? is there lots of people in may?

km

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canyon

Try the FAQ question on Hiking. There's a thread there on Kokee area trails.

Also the search function will lead you to many many older threads on hiking.

California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canyon

These are saved threads to the right of your post with great hiking info.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k37291…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k41435…

Edited: 13 April 2011, 05:20
California
Level Contributor
35,832 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canyon

PS Yes you drive to the canyon.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canyon

Yes, you can take a rental car. You're not really driving "in" the canyon.

May is a shoulder season. Kids are still in school, and crowds are down.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: canyon

The links weren't too specific about the Canyon. As mentioned, the road goes up the west rim of the canyon, not the bottom (the bottom is for strenuous hiking :-). There are many pullouts right at the rim all the way up, so do stop for photos if you like the views. Then there are the 2 paved viewpoints that have the classic views. There is also the less known iliau nature loop at the emergency phone around mile-marker 8. This is a short loop walk that takes you to the edge of the canyon too.

The iliau nature loop is where the only trail down into the canyon starts. The Kukui trail is 2000' down to the bottom, and 2000' back up. At the bottom, the trail is overgrown in the forest, but you can get to the river at a nice swimming hole. There are trails at the bottom, some upstream and up a side canyon (dangerous river crossing), one downstream that goes all the way to Waimea town (the strenuous hiking I mention above). I wish I could recommend these trails, but they are very difficult and not always easy to find (also, you should really, really know what you're doing when crossing the river, as in know the weather and local conditions). So it's best to stay on the Kukui trail for just the down and up. The Sierra club sometimes does the descent to Waimea with a car shuttle, but I don't see it on their calendar this time:

…sierraclub.org/kauai/outings/index.html

Most people "hike the canyon" on the Cliff and Canyon trails that go around the head-waters of the canyon, staying high on the rim, but also giving spectacular views. You can start at the PuuHinaHina lookout or the dirt road just after it, and it is a generally easy trail without too much climbing, just some up and down. The trail takes you to the top of the big waterfall in the canyon, called Waipo'o (literally "head water"), but you can only see the top of the waterfall, not the waterfall itself because it goes over the edge out of sight.

There are lots of other great trails in the forest of Koke'e above the canyon, but most of those don't have views of the canyon. Some have views of the Na Pali, or the valleys that cut down to the ocean, but these tend to be more strenuous (see those other threads that were linked). You can get a map for these trails at the Koke'e Museum, in the meadow.

6. Re: canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 10:22