We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rainfall this year/waterfalls

Merced, California
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rainfall this year/waterfalls

Hi, my husband and I are planning on going to kauai in late August or early September. I'm looking forward to seeing the waterfalls, but in researching archives I came across a thread from several years ago where some of the waterfalls weren't running at all due to drought. I was wondering how the rainfall's been this year and if you think the waterfalls will be flowing normally?

Thanks

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

It's been above average in amounts of rainfall but you're talking August or September of this year? That's a good time from now and it's also a hotter and drier season. Hard to say now what the rainfall and waterfalls will be like.

California
Level Contributor
37,259 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

I am posting a Youtube of the falls from 2 years ago after a big August storm. Last year it was drought conditions. I was there in Oct and the falls were a trickle. You'll just have to wait and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z58vWt-rhMA

Merced, California
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

Wow Jebett, that video is incredible!

California
Level Contributor
37,259 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

And that was summer!!!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

way too soon to tell. There isn't much lag time between rain and waterfall on such a small island.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

Aloha from Kaua'i!

No way to tell you at this point in the year - we could get a big downpour the week before you come and have plenty water in falls like Wailua and Opaeka'a.

We did have drought conditions, but I'm pretty sure that is in the past at this point in time - I think everything this year is pretty much "normal" for rainfall - at least as far as I'm aware.

You'll need to check back here maybe a week before you come in order for any of us who live here to answer you with any accuracy at all.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

Any wonder we all love this island. Should also remind us all that rain can be beautiful.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

That video was crazy, in a very, very good way!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

Yep, we need rain for the water falls, and according to the official reports our drought is over due to all the rain that we received this winter.

But it really does depend on what has been occuring when you are here. You should be able to see waterfalls flowing at Opeakea Falls as well as Wailua falls. These falls have view lookouts that are great for photos, and are easy to reach by car.

However, some of the other falls may not have so much flow, but as mentioned in the other responses......you will just have to see what mother nature has brought to the island.

Also, besides those two falls , you should have great weather for enjoying all of the island's other treasures that will be waiting for you.

Denny

Merced, California
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rainfall this year/waterfalls

Thanks everyone! I'll check in again before we go. It's been so exciting doing all the research and deciding what we want to do. It's difficult to narrow it down in such a heavenly place! Can't wait to get there :)

Tanya