We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avis vs Budget car rental

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Avis vs Budget car rental

Hi there,

Does anyone have any experierence with Avis vs Budget car rentals in Kauai? We have a reservation with Avis right now but I'm able to find a similar rate for a slightly bigger car with Budget and wondering if I should change my reservation.

I know Avis is in the airport, is Budget as well?

Thanks!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
1. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

It is personal choice. I prefer a larger car so I would switch. I have used both in the past with no issues. Seems I can get much better rates with Alamo. Although our trip for Feb. is going to be a challenging one with how the prices are heading :) HMMM I got group discount for airfare - wonder if they have a group discount for cars??? :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,787 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

My husband prefers Avis but I always get the better rates with Alamo. They are all in the same area though Avis is a bit closer to the terminal, not much. If you can get a better rate with Budget for a larger car, than I would go ahead and switch. Budget may try to get you to buy the gas option (not worth it, IMO) and they also may try to upgrade you. It depends on the agent.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

Go with the best deal for the car class you prefer.

Avis & Budget are one and the same.

The car rentals at LIH are just a shuttle ride away.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

I have never found enough difference between any of the companies to make my decision based on anything other than price. In fact, I almost always end up getting a much better deal with Priceline NYOP within a month or so of our trip and I never know what company I'll get with them.

California
Level Contributor
41,207 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

Go with price, but I am not an Avis fan. I don't like some of their policies and the cars seem to always be dirty. If I save $100 I overlook it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
6. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

Thanks everyone. It is only $5 difference between Avis and Budget with a 30% off Budget code I am using. I checked Alamo as well but they were $40 more than Budget after taxes for the dates we are renting (May 17-20).

If anyone else is interested, the Budget code is U072411 and it's valid until the end of May.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
7. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

I just checked the Alamo rate - but I use Costco also - for a midsized SUV for your dates taxes and all I came up with $196.10

ID: 7014627

Coupon code: AD63637RM

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
1 review
8. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

The onsite rental car companies (which is most except for Enterprise), are all located in the same spot and all have their shuttle vans to take you there. So if you take the shuttle there is no difference in distance.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,787 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

I usually walk over while my husband picks up the luggage. That was the only reason I mentioned that Avis was a bit closer. Its a great opportunity to stretch my legs after a long flight.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Avis vs Budget car rental

Avis and Budget are the same company (Cendant), with Avis being the more business travel based entity. Policies should be very similar between the two. Have you tried Avis with Hawaiian's code? It's only $117 all-in for an intermediate on the dates given (3-day rental).

Is Priceline an option? Folks here have been getting as low as $8/day.