We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping: Hanalei or Haena

California
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Camping: Hanalei or Haena

Hi,

I will be traveling to Kauai in May and want to camp a night before hiking Kalalau. Haena seems to be the closest location. Would we need to drive to the trail head in the morning or is it walking distance? Since it is a weekend night Hanalei is another option. It is near stores/restaurants which could be nice. How do the campsites compare? How is the drive from Hanalei to the trail? Are there any shuttle services? I read that leaving your car overnight at the trailhead can be dangerous.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Aloha Kauai Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Hike Kauai With Me
Hiking & Camping Tours
Quantum Aloha Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours
The Otherside
Scuba & Snorkeling, Hiking & Camping Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping: Hanalei or Haena

Haena. Yes its walking distance. You need a permit to camp.

You would need to take a taxi from Hanalei.

Mentioned in this post
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping: Hanalei or Haena

There was just a thread on the parking. Conclusion was that parking at Haena Beach Park was better than the trailhead at Ke'e.

That's not to say leaving your car at the beach park for several days isn't without risk. I'd think leaving it over a Monday night would be the most inviting - no reason to think you're camping nearby (it's closed).

If you're staying on the north shore the evening when you return from Kalalau, it might be worth it to arrange to leave your car at or near where you'll stay.

As for the camping, they're both very nice spots. I'd say Haena to get an earlier start.

here's the thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k44145…

Mentioned in this post
Haena Beach Park
Haena Beach Park
140 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Ke'e Beach
Ke'e Beach
618 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping: Hanalei or Haena

Because Hanalei is only open on weekends, it can get crowded an noisy with locals hanging out and partying. Not the best way to get a good night sleep for leaving early.

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping: Hanalei or Haena

Thank you for the information. I am going to mail in my permit request for Haena now. I already got a permit for Kalalau. I was only able to get one night. The night before and after were sold out.

Mentioned in this post
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
5. Re: Camping: Hanalei or Haena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:19