We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multi island trip

jrj
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
multi island trip

We would like to do 2 weeks in the Fall - 1 week in Kaanapali, Maui and 1 week in Princeville, Kauai. We live in Chicago. We have AA miles to redeem. Trying to figure out the best way to arrange this -

fly ORD to LIH - then inter island to OGG - then back to LIH and then home? THe other way around? Flying into Honolulu and then LIH/OGG back to Honolulu then home?

Any advice?

Southeast US
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: multi island trip

Will your frequent flyer program not allow a multi-city flight?

Try using your miles for a flight into LIH and then home from OGG and using Hawaiian for the LIH-OGG leg. Less time spent in airports, more time for vacation!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: multi island trip

Yep, exactly what gonetoHI said!

3Chihuahuas

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: multi island trip

That's right. You don't have to fly back to the island you first arrived on, to fly back home. Just fly into one island, take an interisland flight to the second island and then fly home from there. From Chicago you should options to do it this way. It may involve a change of planes or a pitstop on the West coast but it's less flying this way. You can check this out online by going to American's website and first checking off multi-city.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 01:02
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: multi island trip

Also, you completely avoid having to go through Honolulu this way. And you cut your interisland flights down from 2 or 3, to 1.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: multi island trip

you might want to see just what you can get. I had some trouble over dates with AA this fall and that was a while back.. At least with them each leg is X miles so you can mix and match.

California
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: multi island trip

I agree with Dave. It doesn't matter which island first, just see what you can get. Even if its just to HNL and then you purchase interisland. I find I can usually get Maui, but not all the way to Kauai.

Last October I did 8 days on Kauai and 5 on Maui in the Kanaapali area (Kanaapali Beach Villas) and had the time of my life. Both are great island for different reasons.

Have a great time!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: multi island trip

I agree with Jebett it is easier to get directly to Maui.

This is what we are doing this June. Direct into OGG, 5 nights in Kanaapali, then inter-island to LIH, 6 nights in Princeville, then home.

Never been to Maui before so I am looking forward to this trip.

Have fun!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: multi island trip

I agree with Jebett it is easier to get directly to Maui.

This is what we are doing this June. Direct into OGG, 5 nights in Kanaapali, then inter-island to LIH, 6 nights in Princeville, then home.

Never been to Maui before so I am looking forward to this trip.

Have fun!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: multi island trip

Sorry double post

Edited: 25 April 2011, 16:48
10. Re: multi island trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 10:21