We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

Is it safe to leave valuables in car trunk while snorkeling? How comon are thefts in tourist areas like Poipu, Tunnels/

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,063 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

NO! NO! NO! While I'd venture to guess that thefts are less common in populated areas like Po`ipu, I still wouldn't do it. Why take the chance?

seattle
Level Contributor
407 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

So, what do you do with your valuables while snorkeling?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,063 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

Leave them at the hotel/condo. Small things can be carried in a waterproof container. I like the Aquapac Keymaster, www.aquapac.com . I carry only a license, credit card, key(s) and maybe $30-40. Everything else stays home.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

Aloha,

I wouldn't. What sort of valuables do you mean?

I don't mind leaving a cheap cell phone in the car, but I wouldn't want to risk an expensive one.

Enjoy Kauai.

Aloha

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

NO! Do not leave anything valuable in your car at anytime. If you bring cell phones, camera, etc....

One of you stay with stuff while the other snorkels.

Ask someone to keep an eye on your stuff.

Use Aloksak waterproof bags for the stuff, then put everything in a nylon fanny pak. I have done this, not much of a fashion statement, but my stuff is safe. The bags work great, I wear a large tee shirt when snorkeling and the fanny pak keeps it from floating up.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/bags.html

3Chihuahuas

Louisiana
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

Thanks for the link to the aloksak. We have a dry bag for the boat but the bags are great. Great idea about the fanny pack. Thumbs up.

California
Level Contributor
37,467 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

I've left things in the trunk like towels, clothes, cooler, but not cells, wallets etc.

Do not forget to take keys to the rental car out of your swimsuit pockets or you will have a 2 hour wait for the rental company to come up with new keys and a nice big bill for the ruined door opener that you went into the ocean with. Also leave jewelry in a hotel safe.

Here is an interesting CNN article on how not to get robbed while on vacation. Some of these suggestions don't pertain to Hawaii, but they are still good reminders as we enter the busy vacation season.

cnn.com/2011/…

Louisiana
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

Better yet, don't bring any good jewelry with you. I leave my solitaire engagement home and just wear my wedding band. One pair of all purpose simple earrings will do the job. Who's dressing up anyway?

9. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 00:47
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to leave valuables in car while snorkeling

1) Don't bring valuables if all possible-- invest in a $10 watch if you need one but all you really need to know is daytime,nightime and dinner time here. There's no need for fancy jewelry -- this is a t-shirt and sandals kinda place for the most part. Less to carry, less to lose.

2) Avoid bringing a really expensive camera too if possible.

We are indeed having plenty of break ins though the police/tourist board are keeping it on the down low.

If you must leave something in a car make dang sure its not visible and that you don't make a big production out of locking things in the trunk. The (*&&^%%$$ that are robbing folk do sit back and watch/case the situation. Esp at out of the way spots like trailheads.